Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1536927)   #1
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only F1 pre-season report worth reading EVER!

I never read or take any notice of the F1 pre-season hype. Not one word of it counts for anything, and the only inkling you get of how the season might pan out is after the first qualifying session. Sometimes.

Finally however, at last I've read a pre-season report I actually enjoyed:

http://www.sniffpetrol.com/index.html

Scroll down.
Old 5 Mar 2006, 23:41 (Ref:1536979)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
So you never read or take any notice of the pre-season hype, but have finally read one you actually enjoyed?

I guess you must have hit really lucky first time?
Old 5 Mar 2006, 23:57 (Ref:1536981)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
...or have plenty of spare time.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 08:05 (Ref:1537093)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't see how you can call that even remotely funny, unless you get giggly with seeing naughty words.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:37 (Ref:1537176)   #5
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Yes, I seemed to miss the punchline.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:50 (Ref:1537184)   #6
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually I think it and the whole of sniff petrol is mega.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 10:59 (Ref:1537191)   #7
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
lmao Some of that was pretty ****ing funny.

I just really enjoyed the part about Crazy Dave and 'Jacques ****ing Villeneuve' lmao

Selby
Old 6 Mar 2006, 12:16 (Ref:1537245)   #8
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidi Nickfeld

Oh well... Gotta admit it is 'different'.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 12:19 (Ref:1537247)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I find it hit and miss...some is good thought!
Old 6 Mar 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1537339)   #10
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
I can't see how you can call that even remotely funny, unless you get giggly with seeing naughty words.
I sometimes get a vision of a people sitting around in a library, with beards, wearing tweed jackets, smoking pipes and poring over old issues of motorsport and F1 fact books arguing about Mike Hawthorn's racing line into Becketts on lap 21 of the British Grand Prix in 1767, and whether he took too much kerb....

Maybe Sniff petrol is rude and childish, but it is also very funny, hence it's popularity. Lighten up, eh?
Old 6 Mar 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1537342)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not bothered, I just don't see how it's funny that's all.
To each their own I guess!
Old 6 Mar 2006, 17:59 (Ref:1537402)   #12
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hmmm the F1 preview isn't particularly funny on that site, however I had a quick check at some of their other stuff and that made me giggle a bit.

Good for a quick and easy laugh if you ever find everything's going a bit too seriously.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1537406)   #13
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

McLAREN
Drivers: Kim E. Raikkkonen, Wan Pablo Montoya
Chances of winning anything: Bendy
Top fact: With his seemingly unflappable character and emotionless voice, Raikkonen is rightly known as 'the iceman'. With his erratic form and large rolls of fat, Montoya is rightly known as 'the piesman'.

I gotta be honest, the whole thing had me in bits.

Best preseason review yet. Pretty accurate, too.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1537413)   #14
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's really good, I liked it - lighten up people
Old 6 Mar 2006, 18:43 (Ref:1537426)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi
I sometimes get a vision of a people sitting around in a library, with beards, wearing tweed jackets, smoking pipes and poring over old issues of motorsport and F1 fact books arguing about Mike Hawthorn's racing line into Becketts on lap 21 of the British Grand Prix in 1767, and whether he took too much kerb....

Joe, I must beg to differ as everyone knows that Hawthorne retired on lap 19. The mix-up on the lap charts was attributed by Cyril Posthumous the Elder in his seminal work, Pre-industrial Motorsport in The British Isles: Being an Almanack Compendium of English and Scottish Personages Efforts on behalf of The Crown in the European Self-Propelled Wagon and Carriage Championships in the Age Of Enlightenment, to the fragility of the goose quills used by the timekeepers in the maintainence of their lap charts.

By 1768, Swan quills were in common usage and lap charts are believed to be more reliable. It was with this system in place that Hawthorne, (by then knighted as Michael, Earl of Brands Hatch) was able to register his first GP win at Pall Mall.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1537435)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not that example, obviously, but conversations along those lines are interesting and in many cases take much thought and consideration. Which is rewarding.
Quote:
Maybe Sniff petrol is rude and childish, but it is also very funny, hence it's popularity. Lighten up, eh?
Sniff Petrol is great. It doesn't always hit the mark, but is mostly very funny. Doesn't take much thought though!

Each to their own, as ASCII says, but some to all!
Old 6 Mar 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1537448)   #17
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a laugh! F1 would be better if everybody involved could have a laugh at the occasional stupidities of the sport in this way!

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 6 Mar 2006, 19:23 (Ref:1537460)   #18
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found Super aguri's picture and report particually amusing
Old 6 Mar 2006, 19:32 (Ref:1537472)   #19
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
Joe, I must beg to differ as everyone knows that Hawthorne retired on lap 19. The mix-up on the lap charts was attributed by Cyril Posthumous the Elder in his seminal work, Pre-industrial Motorsport in The British Isles: Being an Almanack Compendium of English and Scottish Personages Efforts on behalf of The Crown in the European Self-Propelled Wagon and Carriage Championships in the Age Of Enlightenment, to the fragility of the goose quills used by the timekeepers in the maintainence of their lap charts.

By 1768, Swan quills were in common usage and lap charts are believed to be more reliable. It was with this system in place that Hawthorne, (by then knighted as Michael, Earl of Brands Hatch) was able to register his first GP win at Pall Mall.
have yet to read the sniffpetrol stuff .. but that was funny

Ciao Marco
Old 6 Mar 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1537482)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Mikalus Hawthornicus also raced a bloke by the name of Ben something-or-other some years previous to the race described above.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1537483)   #21
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Damn! I thought you wouldn't notice my faux pas!
Old 6 Mar 2006, 19:52 (Ref:1537489)   #22
shambles
Veteran

England
Soton, UK
shambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridshambles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Old 6 Mar 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1537495)   #23
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Quote:

Aaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very good, well done. Can I just add that I love my 29 bound volumes of Motorsport, 1948-1976 inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Doesn't take much thought though!
Come on, be fair, its better than that. Could you do better?

I was once told its all the work of Richard Porter, of EVO magazine. Is that right?

Last edited by Heebeegeetee; 6 Mar 2006 at 20:03. Reason: I could probably give a snifpetrol type reason involving four letter words but I won't.
Old 6 Mar 2006, 20:31 (Ref:1537519)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebeegeetee
Come on, be fair, its better than that. Could you do better?
I said I liked it. It still doesn't take much thought to read it though. Which you could argue is in the skill of the writer.

Also the second article is a lesson for us all on internet forums. OK which oen of you is Chris?
Old 6 Mar 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1537526)   #25
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
sniffpetrol is hit and miss. Can be class, can be awful.

I'd prefer it exist than not, .