Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:05 (Ref:697694)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone's next move

On Speed they suggested that BS may have to alter the way their tires are profiled. It was suggested they may make something a little "Michelinish". How does this reflect on them. If true, isn't it a little too late?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:07 (Ref:697696)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BS should retire and rethink their game,they have been really blowing big donkey, it is really shameful-it isn't a little but by heaps
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:19 (Ref:697705)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Yes shameful!!

I wonder what they thought of Pierre Dupasquier's comments in this article .

I wonder what they think now??
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:25 (Ref:697712)   #4
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Bridgestone need to TRY and get a top team away from Michelin, which is going to be very hard!

They need another team to support Ferrari.

No way should Bridgestone pull out of F1!

The Tyre war is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:26 (Ref:697714)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BS knew it was coming and seemingly rested on their laurels, while the Ferarri seems to have plateaued in its performance, what is going on, no one team can slip this much
fair thought the other teams have caught up lot, BMW power, Renault balance, Mercedes' Kimi...
but no excuse for the red squad and BS to have this happen- what they decided not to develop or try something knew, MP4-19 I hope it is really good out of the box, and then the Reds will have lots to do
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:27 (Ref:697716)   #6
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Schumi is worth half a second a lap, the Ferrari chassis I would guess another half second - that means the tyres are 2 and a half seconds too slow.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:33 (Ref:697722)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by esorniloc
I think that Bridgestone need to TRY and get a top team away from Michelin, which is going to be very hard
It wont be hard, it will be impossible. How about not building your tires around one car? Maybe they should try that. JV has has to run tires that they used at the start of the year. Why, because the "developments" have not been helping the BAR team.

Maybe BS needs a taste of nationalism. If Goodyear had done something like that here, they would never sell another tire in this country.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:34 (Ref:697723)   #8
esorniloc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Logrence
Apparently Schumi is worth half a second a lap, the Ferrari chassis I would guess another half second - that means the tyres are 2 and a half seconds too slow.
I don't think its all the tyres, if it was how come MS was only about 20 seconds ahead of a Sauber today?

Something else must also be wrong?????
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:35 (Ref:697724)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
McLaren already defected last season and it has paid off - how are they going to get anyone to come back and play second fiddle to Ferrari?!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:52 (Ref:697735)   #10
esorniloc
Veteran

They are going to have to change focus and say to whatever team is the next best Bridgestone team to be equal testing and equal development as Ferrari.

Granted its going to be very hard getting another top team.
I have no idea who is going to be that team either there is no obvious candidate.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:58 (Ref:697738)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Here are the candidates, BAR, Sauber, Jordan, Minardi. Which has the most potential, and the most financial backing? I think its obvious.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 22:32 (Ref:697756)   #12
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suppose focusing on one team really has had it's benefits in the last few years but they shot themselves in the foot, and we're seeing that now.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 22:39 (Ref:697766)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
All those 4 teams have dodgy future prospects, though - what's the point in investing in them?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 22:50 (Ref:697774)   #14
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
I think that Bridgestone need to TRY and get a top team away from Michelin, which is going to be very hard!
Don't get neilap started on that!

The only chance they have is that MacLaren and Williams may end up with the same problem. Fighting each other to the point one needs to search for another advantage.

I would'nt right them off just yet, they are'nt new to this racing game.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 22:58 (Ref:697782)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Minardi are still burning thru the stocks of 2002 Bridgestones, so they are of no real use.

I would have thought, being a Japanese company, that Bridgestone would be sidling up to BAR with all cheque books at the ready and get a 2nd team testing rubber at Ferrari's rate of knots?

In the end, Ferrari will be able to go to Michelin and offer some supply deal on every Fiat to be produced next year, and get #1 works status, like they enjoy at Bridgestone...

Bring back Goodyear and Pirelli!!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Aug 2003, 23:05 (Ref:697792)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely Bridgestone can't take this embarrassment for much longer. They've utterly boxed themselves into a corner with this ridiculous strategy. An all-Michelin grid next year??
Old 25 Aug 2003, 00:08 (Ref:697831)   #17
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
Don't get neilap started on that!
Old 25 Aug 2003, 01:16 (Ref:697865)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bridgestone have brought it all upon themselves by having all their efforts focused on Ferrari, whereas Michelin have been a lot smarter and have three top teams to get their data off.

Bridgestone have no-one to blame but themselves. If they'd kept McLaren happy as well, then perhaps they wouldn't be in their current situation.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 02:16 (Ref:697891)   #19
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, Honda's the absolute natural choice I've wondered WHY they don't do more work with them. Bridgestone and Honda need BAR to put a T-Car on the track at Suzuka as a car with a standard powertrain, but capable of accepting various suspension geometries. Get Sato to become a BS/BAR tester for a month or two over the development period. Honda to max out it's engine R&D and BS their Tyre R&D close to base. Have BAR race team there, working on race like tuning this car.

Remember, Honda want to get LOTS of TRACK miles on these more endurance spec engines needed for 2004.

I'd imagine that while they handle that side of things, BAR can work on electrics, aero, hydraulic, damper, spring and chassis work over in good ol blighty, sending over critical parts to the Honda/BS arena in Japan when a part has been written off and finalised.

I tend to think not having a chassis and tester in japan just putting miles and development into motor and tyres is a wasted opportunity for them.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 03:01 (Ref:697899)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ah but is the budget there for that? If they bin Jacques, it should be fundable from the existing budget.

Doesnt Michelin still have a Williams BMW as its test car??
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Aug 2003, 03:51 (Ref:697906)   #21
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, that Bridgestone is in a situation much like penske found themsleves in during their last few years before switching to a customer chassis. their development path has taken a course that has found the end of its developmental life. Ferrari needs to step up and make the change over to Michelin if somehitng is not done very quickly
Old 25 Aug 2003, 05:13 (Ref:697924)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Perhaps Bridgestone could just write a cheque and buy Michelin?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Aug 2003, 06:24 (Ref:697952)   #23
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Quote:

They need another team to support Ferrari.

Actually they did: McLaren. It was only whe Ron Dennis perceived that Bridgestone were spending more effort tailoring the tyres to Ferrari/SchM's requirements that McLaren switched to Michelins.

Michelin has had fast rubber for more than a couple of years. Unfortunately, the tyres would go off, and the drivers needed to back off for several laps until the tyres came back. Could it be that Michelin finally solved this problem as well as improved other features of their tyre?
Old 25 Aug 2003, 06:34 (Ref:697957)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bridgestone will definately be with Ferrari next year as their contract runs out at the end of 2004.So if BS want a contract renewal they better come up with something.
Old 25 Aug 2003, 11:11 (Ref:698142)   #25
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be nice to see Bernie try and get more tyre manufactureres on board. AT the moment it is probably unlikely, but as more teams come to F1 (got to happen sometime!) then it may be a possibility. He could manybe even put a rule in that non works teams are allowed to change who supplies their tyres during the season.