Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 18 Feb 2010, 16:40 (Ref:2635713)   #1
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autosport Digital Edition

Autosport has just launched a digital version: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/81575
It seems to be the whole thing and can be read online or downloaded as a pdf. Looks like they might archive all these too.

They did an online version a few years ago, but dropped that. It wasn't perfect, but this looks like a good idea. The online version example edition isn't that nice to use, but I presume the pdf works OK.
Has anyone used it properly yet?

You can subscribe to the digital only bit, which if I was inclined to do this again I might chose that option. £26 cheaper than subscribing. I wonder what it would look like on one of those i-book things?

And just for fun: I notice that the cover they are using in the article launching this digital edition says "FREE! 2010 DIARY STICKERS" across the top. Now that is clever.

Will it have any takers here?
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2635730)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm........

If they had an option to subscribe only for the digital editions (i.e. not shelling out for the website and forix side of things), then I would certainly go for it. Even with the price as it is, I am tempted.

It brings it down to 4 bucks an edition, as opposed to 14, it won't be a month behind when it is actually published when it becomes available to me, and there is the website and forix. Plus my world won't have to put up with an even greater rate of stored paper accumulation (I just can't throw motorsport stuff away once I get it).

I am actually quite tempted. Quite genuinely tempted.

Since the "revamp" it got some months ago, has it actually improved much?

If they end up making an archive going back decades, then I would 100% definitely go for it.

Last edited by Dutton; 18 Feb 2010 at 17:20.
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:13 (Ref:2635731)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They've decided to go with it after they trialled it during the postal strike. Got a very good reception. It's free for those that already subscribe to the magazine. There's also going to be an additional subscription solely for the online edition and the website (don't know about just the online magazine without the website)

I think this is a great idea. I'm in university but the magazines are continuing to be delivered to my home, so I have to wait for my dad to bring them up. But now I can just read online on the Thursday they come out. I know there are other magazines which are now totally online (e.g. Joe Saward and David Tremayne's GP+ and Will Buxton's GPWeek) so I think this is the right move. The archive also includes the previous 2 issues in February too
Old 18 Feb 2010, 17:24 (Ref:2635737)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's a great idea. Shame it's Autosport really!
Old 18 Feb 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2635775)   #5
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
in the same siutuation as Dutton, but in my case, the local newsagent has stopped supplying 5 week old copies... so I'm tempted and I've already got plus (at its original rate)
Old 22 Feb 2010, 23:49 (Ref:2638692)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I might go with a subscription to the website, which has its uses, and the on-line edition of the mag. I do subscribe to the print edition, but have been thinking for a while that I would drop it.
Old 23 Feb 2010, 00:27 (Ref:2638711)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm really happy and I'll sign up shortly. I was a subscriber for 10 years but the situation with dealing with 50 issues a year was too much and I ended up tearing out articles that I wanted to keep.

Now I can just keep a digital archive on an external hard drive if i need to refer back to something and I have my laptop with me everywhere so I can read it wherever.

Good stuff.

I remember when they did it before which I think was almost 10 years ago. It was a bit bulky to use and this was before broadband was common as well. With the PDF format now it's great.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2664731)   #8
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No longer available to UK subscribers although they are "working on it"

Quote:
We regret to inform you that we are currently unable to offer UK subscribers to AUTOSPORT magazine free access to the Digital Edition.

This is due to circumstances beyond our control that we are working to resolve as soon as possible.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and hope that you continue to enjoy the magazine and your access to AUTOSPORT PLUS on autosport.com in the meantime.
Bad April Fools' Day joke? I hope so
Old 3 Apr 2010, 08:49 (Ref:2665776)   #9
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
No longer available to UK subscribers although they are "working on it"
I wonder what the deal is with this?
Old 8 Jun 2010, 13:10 (Ref:2706690)   #10
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here we go again, it is Le Mans Week and on the Autosport website there are no headlines about the race at all. I thought the point had been taken by Andrew but it seems not! Very dissapointed
Old 10 Jun 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2708154)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I saw this on the main page today:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84260

Selby
Old 10 Jun 2010, 11:18 (Ref:2708158)   #12
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Main headline: Massa extends F1 deal
Second headline: Bordais fastest in Le Mans Quali 1
Third headline: F1
Fourth headline: Le Mans runners and riders

Then a big section below that on Le Mans coverage
Old 10 Jun 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2708314)   #13
AvdB
Rookie

AvdB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAvdB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err,

I've just seen this thread. There have been 23 stories posted by our team at Le Mans so far, and the grid hasn't even been decided yet!

In the same period there have been nine F1 stories added to the site.

As they say in the States - you do the math(s).

I think you'll find the coverage of the 24 Hrs this weekend will be just about as thorough as is humanly possible.

Best,

Andrew