Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:34 (Ref:2540975)   #1
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lotus awarded 13th slot

From BBC site:

*BREAKING NEWS*
Lotus will return to F1 in 2010

Lotus are to return to Formula 1 for the first time since 1994 after being granted the 13th slot on the grid from next season.
They will line up as one of four new teams for 2010 - alongside Campos Grand Prix, Manor and US F1.
More to follow.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2540978)   #2
Sideswipe
Rookie

Sideswipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now on Autosport http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/78648
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:41 (Ref:2540979)   #3
Kebab
Racer

Kebab has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Lotus Cosworth - nice!!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:46 (Ref:2540982)   #4
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago, I would've thought this a great idea. However, it's not a return of the team, just a return of the brand name and and I'd prefer it if they just left the name alone and race under a more appropriate team name.

It's like going to a Guns N' Roses or Thin Lizzy concert and finding out that the band is almost completely different to the original line-up that disbanded years ago. The new bunch might play the old songs, but it's a different band, so they shouldn't pretend to be something they're not.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:49 (Ref:2540983)   #5
Kebab
Racer

So is this the Litespeed guys + Malaysians or?
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:53 (Ref:2540985)   #6
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow! And after a while based in Norfolk they're going to be based at Sepang in Malaysia. Brave move, methinks, to be so far from the European heartland of F1 development and expertise.
Still... it's fantastic to see one of the great names back.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2540988)   #7
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas View Post
A few years ago, I would've thought this a great idea. However, it's not a return of the team, just a return of the brand name and and I'd prefer it if they just left the name alone and race under a more appropriate team name.

It's like going to a Guns N' Roses or Thin Lizzy concert and finding out that the band is almost completely different to the original line-up that disbanded years ago. The new bunch might play the old songs, but it's a different band, so they shouldn't pretend to be something they're not.
this is exactly the way I feel. it's a shame they dropped the Sauber/BMW entry for this one. that team is practically already Ã*n F1, as it would just be the current BMW team
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:05 (Ref:2540991)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Wooo this is cool

Selby
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:08 (Ref:2540992)   #9
Kebab
Racer

I hope they find a decent British driver to properly represent the Lotus name ...
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2540998)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
... Mr Davidson!!

Selby
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:27 (Ref:2541007)   #11
jakabodix
Rookie

UK-ROI
London
jakabodix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Couldn't agree more. It's a marketing ploy. This is a return in name only and there is nothing that suggests it is anything more.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2541013)   #12
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

With a heavy dose of nostalgia I'm sort of happy to see the name again, but have to agree with Nicholas, it's just a brand name this time at least at the moment.

But one never knows...it might turn out okay, I truly hope so.
More nostalgic finger crossing?

P
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2541017)   #13
Kebab
Racer

It all depends whether the two ex-Lotus guys at Litespeed are involved and whether Lotus is going to contribute/support the team technically.

Certainly they won't want to do anything that negatively impacts the Lotus brand?
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2541020)   #14
rallycrosscraig
Racer

rallycrosscraig has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
so bmw lose their slot to a start up, as yet, non existant team.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 09:58 (Ref:2541026)   #15
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
FIA pushing for 28 driver grids...

Great news!

I was watching some older races, even mid 90's, and seeing those streams of F1 cars turn into the first corner is something else. Modern day F1 and Moto GP now seem extremely skinny on the starts..

Selby
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:04 (Ref:2541032)   #16
Kebab
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallycrosscraig View Post
so bmw lose their slot to a start up, as yet, non existant team.
It is a surprise. The FIA said something about uncertainty over future funding ...
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:13 (Ref:2541040)   #17
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
We all want to see their car in JPS colours!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/...bc23a008f6.jpg
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2541054)   #18
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
That would be really nice - But I more see the greens, whites and yellows.

Selby
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:39 (Ref:2541058)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
FIA pushing for 28 driver grids...

Great news!

I was watching some older races, even mid 90's, and seeing those streams of F1 cars turn into the first corner is something else. Modern day F1 and Moto GP now seem extremely skinny on the starts..

Selby
Yep, and when / if you lose 2-8 cars in a first corner shunt a field of as low as 12 cars (Australia 2002?) looks a very poor show indeed.

The more cars the better. I would of course prefer to see spare cars brought back in some form so in the case of a red flag / restart, we are not down to half of the field. Imagine if we had another Spa 1998 type shunt now, there would be no cars left to take a restart...
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2541062)   #20
Racer 35
Racer

England
South Derbyshire
Racer 35 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
FIA pushing for 28 driver grids... Selby

Sadly, but maybe there's no need for 28 cars next year I'm afraid.... after Renault get a hefty fine from the FIA next week ($100m anyone?), and subsequently pull the plug on the F1 team.
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:54 (Ref:2541070)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't see anywhere where they say they're pushing for 28 car grids. All I see is Sauber being made the reserve team in case another team drops out

This is good news. It seems the Litespeed project has been taken and expanded greatly. The Malaysian government will give it a healthy budget. Air Asia are involved which will provide the sponsorship. And the involvement of Gascoyne and the base at RTN implies Litespeed and David Hunt may be involved as well. It seems to be a credible effort, moreso than US F1 anyway

Given that Sauber's future is still very much up in the air, and there are a few teams about who may not make it next year (the 4 new teams, Toyota, Renault), it makes sense to include them as a reserve
Old 15 Sep 2009, 10:59 (Ref:2541076)   #22
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
I don't see anywhere where they say they're pushing for 28 car grids. All I see is Sauber being made the reserve team in case another team drops out

This is good news. It seems the Litespeed project has been taken and expanded greatly. The Malaysian government will give it a healthy budget. Air Asia are involved which will provide the sponsorship. And the involvement of Gascoyne and the base at RTN implies Litespeed and David Hunt may be involved as well. It seems to be a credible effort, moreso than US F1 anyway

Given that Sauber's future is still very much up in the air, and there are a few teams about who may not make it next year (the 4 new teams, Toyota, Renault), it makes sense to include them as a reserve
http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/9/9934.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/default.stm

Can't find the actual statement itself, but BBC and F1.com are quoting from it, so I presume it exists!

EDIT: Found it.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2009/...teams-in-2010/
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:07 (Ref:2541084)   #23
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow could this mean we see the return of Yoong? I am so happy!
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2541085)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why wouldnt this group just buy the BMW Sauber operation and put a new sticker on it? Petronas has pretty much paid for the place over the years under its previous ownership...

It always amazes me that some people think they can go to complete ground zero and reinvent the wheel (at someone else's expense) to prove it can be done, or perhaps more accurately, that they are smarter than everyone else!

Air Asia is a Williams sponsor isnt it?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Sep 2009, 11:10 (Ref:2541086)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
We all want to see their car in JPS colours!

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2094/...bc23a008f6.jpg
Only if you can bring the bloke with the yellow skid lid in the pic too
#CANCERSUCKS