Old 10 Jul 2002, 06:57 (Ref:330759)   #1
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
PaulPerkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B*gger! - serious marshalling point

Hi All,

Just had a rather nasty surprise from the regional grading officer.

I re-read the grading manual and it appears that to be upgraded all signatures must be from an eXamining Observer. I assumed that because non-X Observers had happily signed my cards this was a thing of the past.

I am told that under no circumstances must a non-X Obs sign your upgrading cards; so new marshals bear this in mind.

So it appears that this year's efforts - at least in upgrading terms - have come to nothing.

Not pleased.

Still, it's all been good experience...

Paul.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 07:43 (Ref:330785)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I find that surprising - my experience has been that non-X observers have always made it clear that they will sign attendance cards but that they can't sign for upgrades.

Ah well, looks like you're gonna be stuck with that white badge for a while.......
Old 10 Jul 2002, 08:00 (Ref:330797)   #3
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Hmmmm correct me if I'm wrong but aren't XOs a bit thin on the ground these days?

I can understand why this rule is in place and it does make sense - but surely it is up to the marshals club to ensure that there are sufficient examiners available? And if not, what is the grading marshal's recourse?
Old 10 Jul 2002, 08:08 (Ref:330809)   #4
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
There is none!

There's a bit of a catch-22 situation here - because there are so few marshals, you have to be early at sign-on to make sure you get a busy post, but then it's pot-luck as to who your Obs will be.

Conversely, if you wait to find out where Obs are posted you probably won't get to be assigned to that point because you'll be needed elsewhere - probably a post where nothing happens for which you won't get a sig anyway...
Old 10 Jul 2002, 09:35 (Ref:330874)   #5
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does it matter that much - its not a race to get signatures - the more experience you get the better.

Some of the problems I have found with trainee flag marshals having difficulties can be attributed to the fact that they have come up through the other grades too quick (or missed out the fire grade) and as a result haven't got enough experience of racing.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 09:48 (Ref:330885)   #6
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
Totally agree, Flaggie. One of the reasons I enjoy marshalling is because it's non-competitive (unlike my day job).

The reason I'm so keen to get on the first rung is because I'm planning on going abroad for some time, and a BMMC grading should stand me in good stead for joining other marshalling clubs.

Once I'm at green I'm happy to stay there for ever!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 12:11 (Ref:331026)   #7
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm puzzled about your predicament Paul! I know that when I have offered a card for Upgrade I have always been told the Observer's status - that is whether they are Examining Observers or not.:confused:

This has happened at all the circuits I have marshalled cars at.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 12:23 (Ref:331040)   #8
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
I've a very grave feeling that I have made a ninny of myself then...

My understanding is that an Observer's status is indicated by their membership number. '12345' is a non-X and '1234X' is an X.

Most of my sigs are non-X membership numbers.

Should I go away and crawl into a hole for a few weeks? :confused: (and don't say I should do that anyway ) Or is it that the obs signing my card have simply omitted the 'X'?

Last edited by PaulPerkins; 10 Jul 2002 at 12:24.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 12:51 (Ref:331062)   #9
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulPerkins
I've a very grave feeling that I have made a ninny of myself then...
Ninny may not be the word I'd use, but.........

Take another look at your BMMC 'Training & Grading Scheme' booklet, page 14; the X appears on an XO's badge after the name, not the number! I don't know if an X is added to an observer's membership number on upgrading to XO - I suspect not.

Just to put your mind at rest, I 've looked at the copy I kept of my upgrade card from last year. None of the observers put an X after his membership number.

Quote:
Should I go away and crawl into a hole for a few weeks?
We can find a good big hole for you on Saturday!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 12:55 (Ref:331065)   #10
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
Well, I think it's a case of....

What a plonker
Attached Images

Old 10 Jul 2002, 13:01 (Ref:331072)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulPerkins
Well, I think it's a case of....

What a plonker
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:00 (Ref:331100)   #12
Flagman
Racer

You must have been really unlucky in your post allocation at Oulton as it is probably the easiest circuit to get signatures - given the number of BMMC X-grade observers who regularly attend it is probably easier to end up on a post with an X-grade than it is to get a non X.

One question - has the regional grading officer just gone on the numbers on the card and not checked their grade? Might be worth checking (some of the observers may have just ommitted the X!)
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:03 (Ref:331104)   #13
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
Hi Flagman,

No not yet. I sent him an email to confirm that all sigs must be from an X, as I should be ready to upgrade over the next couple of weeks, and noticed that only a couple of my sigs had 'X' postfixes which got me a-thinking (dangerous thing to do as we've all just found out).

I guess I may well send him the list just to be sure - that way I don't get another nasty surprise...

I think that you're right - the Obs have just omitted the 'X', or at least, I hope so!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 14:05 (Ref:331106)   #14
Flagman
Racer

If you have the names handy send me a list - I ought to know who's an X by now!

Last edited by Flagman; 10 Jul 2002 at 14:05.
Old 10 Jul 2002, 15:59 (Ref:331171)   #15
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Paul, have a look at the Observers part of the list for Saturday and count them 1-20.

The following applies:
18-20 not applicable
9, 11, 12 and 15 Observer only
5 and 7 not sure of Observer status

The rest are definitely Examining Observers.

Hope this helps you!
Old 10 Jul 2002, 18:30 (Ref:331257)   #16
PaulPerkins
Racer

United Kingdom
Manchester, UK
Thanks KayBee,

Just done a cross-check and I'm off to the local tatoo parlour.

Now, should 'ninny' have a capital 'N' or not?
Old 10 Jul 2002, 21:08 (Ref:331394)   #17
Peter Scillitoe
Racer

North Korea
Peoples Democratic Republic of Medway
Peter Scillitoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speaking as one of the first MSA registered Ex Obs in the UK, I would just like to confirm that MSA Ex Obs cards do not have the letter 'X' before or after the registration number. A recent change of heart on behalf of the BMMC means that MSA graded Ex Obs who are not BMMC members can now sign BMMC upgrade cards.

Don't now whether this helps or confuses the situation. But, what the hell......................
Old 11 Jul 2002, 07:47 (Ref:331569)   #18
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ooohhhh one of the first eh!? So you're like X007?

We already know you get the babes - we've seen the photos. Do you also get a gun? And a secret camera? And an Aston Martin with an ejector seat?

Old 11 Jul 2002, 11:54 (Ref:331730)   #19
pinki
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent, England
pinki should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EvilPumpkin
ooohhhh one of the first eh!? So you're like X007?

We already know you get the babes - we've seen the photos. Do you also get a gun? And a secret camera? And an Aston Martin with an ejector seat?

Well he's got a Volvo that he doesn't drive fast enough
Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:08 (Ref:333879)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
I've just been sorting my stuff out from the weekend & I've notice something unusual. Take a look at your upgrading card - look what the XO put after his MSA number! Maybe Tony's asked the XOs to do this to avoid confusing ninnies!

Great day at Anglesey today. Only three races, but one was a 95-lapper, another 45 minutes, with grids of 20-ish, a ten-second or so spread in lap times on a one-mile circuit. Kaybee's suffering from RSI with all the blue flagging. I had the pleasure of working with the best incident team I've ever come across. No arguments, everybody doing his share of the work, even the food & drink were shared among the team. The incident team on post 2 was.......er......me!

Last edited by Dave Brand; 14 Jul 2002 at 22:09.
Old 14 Jul 2002, 22:44 (Ref:333896)   #21
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
Great day at Anglesey today. Only three races, but one was a 95-lapper, another 45 minutes, with grids of 20-ish, a ten-second or so spread in lap times on a one-mile circuit. Kaybee's suffering from RSI with all the blue flagging. I had the pleasure of working with the best incident team I've ever come across. No arguments, everybody doing his share of the work, even the food & drink were shared among the team. The incident team on post 2 was.......er......me!
Yet again I've been doing all the work!! All the spun and continued (very common at Anglesey) were on the inside, Dave was on the outside, and I was in the better position to attend.

This followed on from Saturday where the Flagpoint was nearest to an incident and I attended it.
Old 15 Jul 2002, 07:45 (Ref:334037)   #22
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
KB - you left the flagpost to attend an incident?
Old 15 Jul 2002, 08:46 (Ref:334093)   #23
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by KayBee

Yet again I've been doing all the work!! All the spun and continued (very common at Anglesey) were on the inside, Dave was on the outside, and I was in the better position to attend.
.....and the drivers were playing 'take the out of the fat flaggie'.....spin, fiddle about trying to start the engine or select a gear, then when she's almost there, drive off!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 08:55 (Ref:334100)   #24
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Yes.....and she still got a signature!

Sunday was a different story.......three of us, two flaggies & me on a post where in an ideal world you's want at least an observer, two flaggies & four incident. Scary!
Old 15 Jul 2002, 09:45 (Ref:334130)   #25
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
Quote:
EP Yes! There were two of us on post and I went the suggestion of and with the full agreement of the Yellow Flag man who was waving the yellow flag at the time. I was on Green/blue the incident occurred at the start of the race coming into the first corner.