Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 1 Feb 2005, 21:33 (Ref:1214974)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Aston Martin Driver Line Up

I know that this news has been cover in other threads, but I think the confirmation of the Aston Martin driver line needs a thread of its own.

Anyway, if you havn't heard the Aston Martin driver line up for the 2005 season has been confirmed as David Brabham, Tomas Enge, Peter Kox, Pedro Lamy, Stephane Ortelli and Darren Turner. They are yet to decided who is going to drive with who.

So what's everyone thoughts.

I think they have gone for a very strong driver line up and they are going to give Corvette et al a run for there money. But I am very suprised that there is not 3 British drivers in the line up, I really did thing that they would for a mainly British driving squad.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1215017)   #2
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
It's a very strong line-up, though remarkable to think that only Ortelli has an overall Le Mans win to his name. All are proven at the highest level, and I do think they have a stronger crew than the Corvettes.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1215022)   #3
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Going to be a busy year for Mr Enge.

Good solid driver line-up.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 09:24 (Ref:1215292)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So do Mark and Martin run any races this year?

Or does that start in 06?
Old 2 Feb 2005, 09:37 (Ref:1215301)   #5
marcosgt
Racer

England
UK
marcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmarcosgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, certainly looks good.

Great to see Ortelli in a top flight car after scratching around in GT3 Porsches for too long...

Cheers.

PS I think the Brundle/Blundell thing was always an 06 project.

Last edited by marcosgt; 2 Feb 2005 at 09:38.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 10:02 (Ref:1215327)   #6
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very strong - lets just hope they are as reliable as they are gorgeous!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1215372)   #7
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Brabham in Aston Press Conference
For the last two years I’ve had a world flag on my overalls – I’m a driver from the world, and the Aston Martin is car for the world market.
One for Pseuds Corner there...
Old 2 Feb 2005, 11:09 (Ref:1215375)   #8
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm already looking forward to enges qualifying lap at 11.45pm on the thursday night!
Old 2 Feb 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1215419)   #9
Bentley Beermon
Racer

England
Sheffield
Bentley Beermon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks great but I wish they had an all brit car you would think the talent would be available
Old 2 Feb 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1215629)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley Beermon
Looks great but I wish they had an all brit car you would think the talent would be available
But by choosing an international line-up they get much more attention.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 17:46 (Ref:1215716)   #11
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The six drivers signed up - have they tested the car first? If so, then it's an incredibly promising sign, because no drivers of such talent would sign up to drive a car that's about to fail it's goals, right?

From that point of view alone (and i know, there are lots of other points of view to take into consideration) it's very promising that the car is likely to be really quick, and for the sake of good racing let's really hope it'll give Corvette and Ferrari a run for their money in their respective territories (i.e. USA and Europe)
Old 2 Feb 2005, 17:54 (Ref:1215723)   #12
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
The six drivers signed up - have they tested the car first? If so, then it's an incredibly promising sign, because no drivers of such talent would sign up to drive a car that's about to fail it's goals, right?
No, not right (In my opinion).
I think most of the drivers (which have the same talent as these six) would sign a contract without hesitating. Don't forget it's a Prodrive project.

Last edited by FIRE; 2 Feb 2005 at 17:55.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1216017)   #13
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I know Brabham, Enge and Turner have all tested it. I think Kox might have had a run too.

I agree with TNB. For a guy like Brabham (who has been around sportscars for a LONG time) to have tested the car and signed a contract for a few one-off drives this season does instill a bit of confidence.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 13:11 (Ref:1216463)   #14
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosgt
Great to see Ortelli in a top flight car after scratching around in GT3 Porsches for too long...
Actually, I have never been that impressed with his performances outside of GT3 Porsches, nowithstanding his Le Mans win. However, as I'm a huge fan of Aston Martin, I hope he proves to be better than I expect.

I'm particularly happy to see Enge there. He was a real star in Prodrive's 550s.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 14:10 (Ref:1216539)   #15
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Go Brabs :P That is pretty nifty line-up. David allways seems to be on the cutting edge of sports-car developement - The Fabcar (With 2nd @ Daytona overall), Bently (With 2nd @ Lemans), Ferrari (2nd in the ALMS?) - Do we see a pattern here?

Oh and not to mention that oh-so heartbreaking Bathurst sprint race last year, and the subsequent rule change to stop people like him showing the ''Up and comers of Aussie Touring Cars" how to drive a Touring Car...

Pitty Jan Magnussen isn't driving with them, where there's smoke theres fire...

Have they announced if they are going to do an ALMS campeign?

Last edited by Hazza; 3 Feb 2005 at 14:13.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 15:11 (Ref:1216599)   #16
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Autosport today is suggesting that Enge can't do Sebring due to IRL commitments but will do Le Mans, so there may still be a seat left.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 15:32 (Ref:1216617)   #17
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazza
Go Brabs :P That is pretty nifty line-up. David allways seems to be on the cutting edge of sports-car developement - The Fabcar (With 2nd @ Daytona overall),
Actually, it was the Multimatic, and it won its class - he got the Rolex.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 3 Feb 2005, 16:22 (Ref:1216658)   #18
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917
Actually, I have never been that impressed with his performances outside of GT3 Porsches, nowithstanding his Le Mans win. However, as I'm a huge fan of Aston Martin, I hope he proves to be better than I expect.
Spa 24 hours overall in 2003, if I remember well... that makes two major 24 hours races... not that bad...

Last edited by Fab; 3 Feb 2005 at 16:22.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:15 (Ref:1216841)   #19
mikmx
Racer

Netherlands
rotterdam
mikmx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see that Peter Kox is part of it, great guy, excellent driver!
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1216859)   #20
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikmx
Good to see that Peter Kox is part of it, great guy, excellent driver!
Indeed, there's a lott of talking in Holland about the careers of Albers, Doornbos and Verstappen but I think Kox is the only Dutch driver who doesn't have to pay for his drive. It's a shame most Dutch F1 fans don't look further then the F1 grid.

Last edited by FIRE; 3 Feb 2005 at 20:30.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 20:56 (Ref:1216883)   #21
XJR14/WSC95
Racer

XJR14/WSC95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better driver lineup than the Jordan GP Team!!!!!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:52 (Ref:1217378)   #22
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab
Spa 24 hours overall in 2003, if I remember well... that makes two major 24 hours races... not that bad...
No, he's not that bad or that good!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 17:41 (Ref:1217570)   #23
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
meant to write this yesterday but didn't manage to get online (i was busy... erm... having double vision with lots of quickly-emptied pint glasses in my grasp lol)

I did forget it was a prodrive project - no wonder they signed up for it! However, even the best can get it wrong, so my train of thought suggested they might still want to test the car before siging any deals.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 14:46 (Ref:1218194)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Enge has IRL conflicts for more than Sebring....

LMES Test Days are the same weekend as St. Pete

Silverstone and Kentucky are the same weekend in August

Fontana and Turkey also are the same weekend....

and the rest of his schedule is going to rack up a lot of Frequent Flyer Miles:

LM Test days are between Indy and Texas, then he flies from Texas to LM and then back to the USA for Richmond and Kansas, before flying back across the pond for Monza, only to fly back to the States again for Nashville....that's six trans-atlantic flights (not counting them as round trips) in six weeks....

He'll make one more trip in September for Nurburgring...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Feb 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1219412)   #25
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Hmm, very odd. I thought Enge was due to contest most of the LMES in the MenX Ferrari 550, but there are at least two clashes. So he will do Le Mans with Aston Martin and Spa, the Nurburgring and Monza with MenX, as well as the full IRL schedule, right?