Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 15 Jun 2003, 14:50 (Ref:631973)   #1
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great GP

I'm eagerly awaiting this afternoon's GP from Canada of course, but on TV I've just witnessed another awesome GP, with ...
on the seat edge drama, overtaking amongst the top 5 almost every lap,
blue-smoke power sliding machines,
unbelievable 'backing' into the corners and smoking slides out,
an historic European/over/Japanese victory,
unrivalled technically advanced kit - eg 500cc V5 motors,
gracious (Italians in the main) enjoying knee to fairing barging matches,
victory burn outs,
93,000 crowd, (and a full all day race programme)
simply brilliant commentary team and TV coverage ...
where?
Moto GP from Barcelona. Wonderful stuff. F1 fans would enjoy this show. 10/10ths it was.

Last edited by gfm; 15 Jun 2003 at 14:53.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:29 (Ref:631989)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Too true. It's a shame Barcelona can't produce anything exciting for the cars.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:32 (Ref:631992)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Damn it!! Why would you do that? I have been avoiding the Moto GP site because I wanted to wait till speed channel aired the action later. This is not even the MotoGP page... aahhhh damn it!!

Oh well, thank God the Canadian GP will be shown live. I would hate to go to MozillaZine and get the results there.

Damn, Ducati!

Ok, I am over it now.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 15:35 (Ref:631995)   #4
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finally Ducatti arives-again
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:01 (Ref:632020)   #5
Blue
Racer

Blue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hat off to Ducati for winning that early in their first gp year. I am really surprised by thier speed. But then i didnt expect that japanese manufactures would do well either in moto gp or f1 this year. the economy here is so bad that they have no luxuary to spend money in race like they used to.. maybe only toyota can. I doubt the bridgestone is in good shape finanically. so they should QUIT before embarrassing themselves further. I didnt like them anyway. the canadian gp start from 2am here. I plan to stay up because i dont need to go to work tomorrow. hope JV doesnt smoke again.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:05 (Ref:632029)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Er,

I watched it ocaisionally because I really wanted to watch Le Mans. However, good stuff by all the riders.

And the thing I liked most? The sportsmanship displayed at the end. Just about all the runners were pleased to finish and congratulated their oponents.

Just like in F1.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:18 (Ref:632042)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Blue
But then i didnt expect that japanese manufactures would do well either in moto gp or f1 this year

What?! Honda owns MotoGP. They are to MotoGP what Ferrari are to F1. A second place and they are being written off. Look how many Hondas were on the podium; in the top 10!! Rossi is racing for a title not just to get his first win!
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:30 (Ref:632049)   #8
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moved to the Bike Racing forum, hosted by Elephino and our very own Bike Boy.
Old 15 Jun 2003, 16:42 (Ref:632059)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bikes = *drool*

Thanks R!
Old 15 Jun 2003, 19:49 (Ref:632198)   #10
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No no. This thread was written for the F1 board. The bike people already ready know how good the bikes are to watch, the F1 people may not realise just how good ...
Old 15 Jun 2003, 20:42 (Ref:632283)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Ahh, saw the race. It was a mistake by Rossi who went on to set a series of incredible laps to finish on the podium, that allowed the Ducati to win. No, biggie.

Congrats to Ducati though. The other teams that have been there longer are getting a lesson in how to make a bike.

Rossi is still the man by far. His ride after the mistake was the other story of the race. I dont think anyone else could have done what he did today

Last edited by neilap; 15 Jun 2003 at 20:44.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 07:18 (Ref:632606)   #12
wreckless
Racer

wreckless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Great GP

Quote:
Originally posted by gfm

unrivalled technically advanced kit - eg 500cc V5 motor
what the? they are 990cc mate
Old 16 Jun 2003, 16:04 (Ref:633118)   #13
Rambo
Racer

Rambo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a severe excitment overload this weekend with the GPs and the Superbikes. Wow! I can't think of a better weekend's bike racing.
Old 16 Jun 2003, 23:46 (Ref:633655)   #14
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
This weekend was arguably the main weekend in motorsport this year: Le Mans, F1, CART, FIM GP and now I learn there was SBK as well. My video was working full time!

On Oct 12th, they will coincide again F1, CART and FIM GP, but, of course there will not be Le Mans
Old 17 Jun 2003, 00:24 (Ref:633672)   #15
Rambo
Racer

CART has become too farcical for me lately with the one-make bargain basement ideaology and the incessant rule changing from week to week. I know this is off topic but I see now in both US open-wheel series, CART and IRL 'blocking' - ie, making any defensive moves to protect your position is not allowed (funny how Bourdais got away with it at the Laustitzring but his opponent didn't though) - so where's the racing? How is it racing if you can't protect your position? If the faster car should automatically win, why not a time trial or simply award points for qualifying and not bother with those tedious laps round the track at all! *rolls eyes*

Blocking or weaving is *not* the same as defending your position. [/rant]
Old 18 Jun 2003, 00:35 (Ref:635054)   #16
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
I suppose if you choose your (defensive) line it is OK, but if you change your line according your rival's move it is blocking. So it still is possible to race, although I don't know if in this particular point CART's rule is better or not.

In FIM bikes they don't block, it is relatively esy to pass and yet the racing is superb.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 13:59 (Ref:635547)   #17
Rambo
Racer

No, If you took the racing line, Ie, high in, low out, that would count as blocking. If you are in the high groove going into a corner and come down to the apex, that would count as a block. That's not too bad on an oval where you can take the outside line through a corner in most cases, but when they mentioned it at Laguna Seca I just went "What?" I mean, if the guy looks to go up the inside, are you not allowed to turn in? How far back down the preceding straight is it ok to take a defensive line? Does that count as blocking? Stupid and unclear. It doesn't matter anyway because as always some drivers will get away with murder and others will get a black flag for nothing at all.

Sorry, cynicism overload.
Old 19 Jun 2003, 10:02 (Ref:636401)   #18
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rossi's ride was brilliant - one of the best last 6 laps of riding i have ever seen ..... the best out there by a mile
Old 19 Jun 2003, 10:24 (Ref:636423)   #19
Rambo
Racer

Yeah, but he didn't win, did he?

No, I love Rossi, he's great.