Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 3 Jan 2013, 00:14 (Ref:3184017)   #1
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
COTF reliability

So COTF has been tested by various teams and there's more testing to be done. Lots of common components so perhaps we won't see the kind of issues we saw in '93 but I am sure we're going to see teething troubles from one or the other.

Is there an argument that potentially Ford & Holden could be in a better position reliability wise because of the carryover engines, in comparison to AMG and Nissan?

Clearly there's been a lot of work around cooling of the transaxle, I'm wondering whether we will see more of these issues when the cars are running in packs without clear air, and in the heat. Adelaide will be an interesting hit out, will we see engine or gearbox problems, suspension or driveline failures due to the kerbs?

Thoughts?
Old 3 Jan 2013, 00:21 (Ref:3184020)   #2
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
So COTF has been tested by various teams and there's more testing to be done. Lots of common components so perhaps we won't see the kind of issues we saw in '93 but I am sure we're going to see teething troubles from one or the other.
Are the common components made by official suppliers or are the teams free to build them on their own, as long as they're to the spec the championship has set? Just wondering, as the BTCC introduced a lot of common components for 2012, made by official suppliers and they were quite frankly, rubbish. The organisers put the deals out to tender and they got some of the cheapest companies on the market to do the jobs, especially on the fabrication work.

Hopefully the V8s will have better quality control than that!
Old 3 Jan 2013, 01:05 (Ref:3184024)   #3
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Hopefully the V8s will have better quality control than that!
I remember a lot of problems when the control brake package came in, but the control wheels have been really good. I'm just wondering if there's going to be specific weaknesses that will have to be fixed, surely real racing is going to be much harder on the cars than any testing you can do. Look at what happened to the V8ST over in NZ.
Old 3 Jan 2013, 01:26 (Ref:3184027)   #4
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
One would imagine the nissan and AMG motors will have some teething issues.

But i would reckon maybe only the driveline is an issue for the rest of the teams. the cars have had many hours of testing (over a year now)

But the sequential box has already shown it has issues, Imagine if Clipsal is hot (although i hope it is as i will be there)
Old 3 Jan 2013, 01:39 (Ref:3184030)   #5
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I remember a lot of problems when the control brake package came in, but the control wheels have been really good. I'm just wondering if there's going to be specific weaknesses that will have to be fixed, surely real racing is going to be much harder on the cars than any testing you can do. Look at what happened to the V8ST over in NZ.
Well that's it. There's no substitute for proper competition. It's like those big teams who do 24 hour tests in prep for Le Mans. Just because the car ran flawlessly there, doesn't mean it won't break in the heat of the actual race, with all the other factors like contact and conditions to consider.

It'll be interesting to see if the components are up to the job, especially as the Clipsal can be a bit frantic.
Old 3 Jan 2013, 07:59 (Ref:3184104)   #6
Mixer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Well that's it. There's no substitute for proper competition. It's like those big teams who do 24 hour tests in prep for Le Mans. Just because the car ran flawlessly there, doesn't mean it won't break in the heat of the actual race, with all the other factors like contact and conditions to consider. It'll be interesting to see if the components are up to the job, especially as the Clipsal can be a bit frantic.
Is it fair to say that QR, PI and Winton are all much kinder to the machinery than Adelaide or any of the other street tracks will be? Kerbs, wall brushes, even the bumps will show the weaknesses.
Old 3 Jan 2013, 09:33 (Ref:3184131)   #7
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Is it fair to say that QR, PI and Winton are all much kinder to the machinery than Adelaide or any of the other street tracks will be? Kerbs, wall brushes, even the bumps will show the weaknesses.
Even if the cars come thru Clipsal unscathed, the operating life of various bits and pieces on the cars will be the unknown factor.

Suspension, gearbox, brakes, engines, wheels, tyres, bodywork... the teams can estimate when stuff needs to be replaced, but they wont know til they have done it

Of interest is some chat about the new chassis being harder to service after a wreck. So for example, if a car does a 'wallbanger' in turn 8 on Saturday, they may not be able to fix it for Sunday, even if all the bits, and all the technogumbies were in the house...

Simple answer.. dont hit kerbs, walls, other cars

C'mon Clipsal!!
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Jan 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3184187)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Even if the cars come thru Clipsal unscathed, the operating life of various bits and pieces on the cars will be the unknown factor.

Suspension, gearbox, brakes, engines, wheels, tyres, bodywork... the teams can estimate when stuff needs to be replaced, but they wont know til they have done it

Of interest is some chat about the new chassis being harder to service after a wreck. So for example, if a car does a 'wallbanger' in turn 8 on Saturday, they may not be able to fix it for Sunday, even if all the bits, and all the technogumbies were in the house...

Simple answer.. dont hit kerbs, walls, other cars

C'mon Clipsal!!
But Messes Skaife and Cochrane assured everyone that these things were going to be simpler, easier and cheaper to fix GTR. They were also going to be cheaper to build, that at the moment appears to be out the window.

Old 3 Jan 2013, 12:19 (Ref:3184189)   #9
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzle View Post
But Messes Skaife and Cochrane assured everyone that these things were going to be simpler, easier and cheaper to fix GTR. They were also going to be cheaper to build, that at the moment appears to be out the window.

That's what Mr Gow said too...........
Old 3 Jan 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3184192)   #10
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No doubt there was some method in Triple Eight's madness in allowing Mr Whincup to give it a hard time in the demonstration laps in Sydney.
Old 3 Jan 2013, 17:36 (Ref:3184257)   #11
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:

I did wonder that when I saw a video about the construction of these cars. Not quite as simple as tieing a rope to one end and the other to a large object and pulling dents out!
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:03 (Ref:3203279)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Whispers from the powder room suggest... that one of the major control components which changed supplier for the CotF project may be having some troubles in achieving its design performance.

No.. its not the Albins gearbox this time...

.. but the AP Racing control brake rotors!

The story goes that the Erebus squad had a component failure during their 20 lap shakedown of Mercedes chassis #2 last week. The team and the media seemed quite coy in identifying the item causing the team an issue...

... and it has been suggested that a disc rotor, one of the new control components, designed to fit within the 18" wheel, and the new AP Racing calipers, failed in that short space of time.

Noise around the traps suggested that 888 had a similar failure during their test day as well.. while another squad running 4 cars in blue oval colours are said to have had issues with the product.

Other teams have only now had access to this control product, instead testing with other brands until this one was made available to all.

AP Racing locally, and at world HQ are investigating the reported problems... and presumably a solution is on its way...

Scary stuff though.. brand new cars, brand new everything, and something as fundamental and relatively simple as a brake disc rotor failing inside 20 laps sounds very very scary...

Of course it will be all right on the night.. but something else to watch at Clipsal you might think..

Presuming any of this actually happened
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:10 (Ref:3203282)   #13
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know the nature of the failure?

i.e. did they warp or crack?

I assume the former would have happened and this would have translated horribly thru the steering wheel?

Maybe a change in metal type/metallurgy is called for.

Or do they go to ceramics....eeeek?
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:14 (Ref:3203283)   #14
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The story goes that the Erebus brake rotor exploded... while the 888 one was not much different...

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:19 (Ref:3203287)   #15
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Crikey! metallurgy issue it is then.

I hope an exploding disc would not have damaged any other components, but one would have thought it would have.

Buggar
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:24 (Ref:3203290)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Crikey! metallurgy issue it is then.

I hope an exploding disc would not have damaged any other components, but one would have thought it would have.

Buggar
Back in the control Alcon rotor days, Mr Perkins had a number of rotors cut open and had tests done to determine their metal composition. His research apparently found a difference in the ratio of metals used in the construction of the rotors, contributing to performance variations set to set!

It is said that the V8SA mob have warned teams to be extra vigilant in the use of these control rotors until AP come back with an explanation and possible solution.

Wonder if it might affect Saturday's testing?

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:32 (Ref:3203295)   #17
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Back in the control Alcon rotor days, Mr Perkins had a number of rotors cut open and had tests done to determine their metal composition. His research apparently found a difference in the ratio of metals used in the construction of the rotors, contributing to performance variations set to set!

It is said that the V8SA mob have warned teams to be extra vigilant in the use of these control rotors until AP come back with an explanation and possible solution.

Wonder if it might affect Saturday's testing?

My father is a metallurgist and he has always told me that the consistency of metals (and the component ingredients) in this part of the world are dicey to say the least. That possibly explains your comments in the first paragraph.

I experienced this when i needed to source a spring for a civil engineering application. We needed linear torque for accuracy in the device (they were 'clock' type concentric springs). We used manufacturers from Aus and NZ and found zero consistency between springs, rather than between batches (which is something that can at least direct you to where the problem is).

In the end we sourced the component from the UK, and had no problems at all.

Accordingly it is down to the purity of product smelted, which can vary dramatically, especially if made from recycled steel, which a lot of things, believe it or not, are made from.

Chuck me a failed disc GTR and i'll get the old man to give it the once over

Last edited by NZSTfan; 12 Feb 2013 at 07:34. Reason: fat pudgy fingers
Old 12 Feb 2013, 07:36 (Ref:3203298)   #18
Umai Naa
Veteran

Umai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridUmai Naa should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
indeed.
Old 12 Feb 2013, 08:32 (Ref:3203337)   #19
Mixer
Veteran

Damn you would want to get it sorted can you imagine an exploding rotor into turn 9 at Clipsal?
Old 15 Feb 2013, 20:14 (Ref:3205497)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Whispers from the powder room suggest... that one of the major control components which changed supplier for the CotF project may be having some troubles in achieving its design performance.

No.. its not the Albins gearbox this time...

.. but the AP Racing control brake rotors!

The story goes that the Erebus squad had a component failure during their 20 lap shakedown of Mercedes chassis #2 last week. The team and the media seemed quite coy in identifying the item causing the team an issue...

... and it has been suggested that a disc rotor, one of the new control components, designed to fit within the 18" wheel, and the new AP Racing calipers, failed in that short space of time.

Noise around the traps suggested that 888 had a similar failure during their test day as well.. while another squad running 4 cars in blue oval colours are said to have had issues with the product.

Other teams have only now had access to this control product, instead testing with other brands until this one was made available to all.

AP Racing locally, and at world HQ are investigating the reported problems... and presumably a solution is on its way...

Scary stuff though.. brand new cars, brand new everything, and something as fundamental and relatively simple as a brake disc rotor failing inside 20 laps sounds very very scary...

Of course it will be all right on the night.. but something else to watch at Clipsal you might think..

V8 Supercars Monitoring Brake Problems

Should we charge a fee?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 15 Feb 2013, 22:44 (Ref:3205577)   #21
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Absolutely
Old 16 Feb 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3205630)   #22
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently #15 has popped an engine along the main straight....
Old 16 Feb 2013, 01:05 (Ref:3205637)   #23
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone remember the first GP2 meeting, loads of brake problems. Manufacturer who lost the bid to supply parked a truck outside the circuit because they knew the selected product was failing. Eventually the teams dumped the original brake discs and called in the supplier waiting outside the circuit

Quote:
Hoping for better reliability after the disappointment of race one, the organisers had taken the surprising step of switching brake manufacturers. The Carbone Lorraine items were squarely blamed by several teams for problems leading either to retirement or cars dropping down the order, and the series decided to take advantage of an available supply of Brembo replacements.
http://www.crash.net/gp2/race+report...r_carroll.html
Old 17 Feb 2013, 08:18 (Ref:3206070)   #24
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
Apparently #15 has popped an engine along the main straight....
Twas a mere oil line that came loose. Nothing to get excited about.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 03:03 (Ref:3206511)   #25
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Test View Post
Twas a mere oil line that came loose. Nothing to get excited about.
Yeah, read that in one of the write ups afterwards, I picked it up just after it happened on another forum.

Apart from that, did anyone hear anything else reliability related from Saturday? Or any update on the brakes?

By the by, I think those Mercs sound horny, and well done to the Kellys for what seems to be competitive pace out of the box.