Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Oct 2002, 07:07 (Ref:416154)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Other rule changes for @003

http://www.fia.com/Presse/F1-A/2002/28-10-2002.pdf

I like the points idea as well as tires. Maybe now Bridgestne will actually produce tires that suit their "other" teams. Also more points will make it more interesting for the mid pack teams.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 07:14 (Ref:416158)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Fixed the title for you Neilap

I think the points will be good, I'm not sure about the tyres though. It all comes down to testing. Ferrari get tyres suited to them because they are doing the testing. Minardi won't benefit at all.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 07:48 (Ref:416166)   #3
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm afraid the new points system will dramaticaly decrease the number of overtakings in the top 5.

For instance:
- If you're running second, you might get 2 extra points (a 20% increase) with a riskful attack on the leader, with the chance of losing 8 points. In the current system, you risk only 6 points, for the chance of gaining 4 extra points (a 67% increase.
- If you're running third, you might get 2 extra points (a 33% increase) with a riskful attack on the nr 2, with the chance of losing 6 points. In the current system, you risk only 4 points, for the chance of gaining 2 extra points (a 50% increase.
- If you're running fourth, you might get 1 extra points (a 20% increase) with a riskful attack on the nr 3, with the chance of losing 5 points. In the current system, you risk only 3 points, for the chance of gaining 1 extra point (a 33% increase.
- If you're running fifth, you might get 1 extra points (a 25% increase) with a riskful attack on the nr 1, with the chance of losing 4 points. In the current system, you risk only 2 points, for the chance of gaining 1 extra point (a 50% increase.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 08:26 (Ref:416180)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Good point Don K.

I support a points spread down to 10th, but still heavily weighted at the top. This is purely to keep the championship alive longer.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:07 (Ref:416331)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Good point Don K, but do the the drivers have minds like accountants?
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:36 (Ref:416354)   #6
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
yes
Old 29 Oct 2002, 17:55 (Ref:416547)   #7
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dislike the new point system...only a 2 point difference between winning the race and first runer-up...sorry....I don't mind increasing points paying positions...but it should have been along the lines of 10-7-6-5-4-3-2-1.

If anyone gets the chance..look up the article entitled "Champion on Points..How to sustain the interest in the World Championship"...in the AUTOCOURSE Annual. The author was Eric Dymock. The article concerns the World Championship of Drivers...gives a history of the evolution of the points system...proposes some changes to the point system and then plays "what if" by looking at each champioship year to see what the effects of the proposed changes would have had...and ends with this statement....

....."the World Championship of Drivers has done an immense service to motor racing. It has sustained interest between races and becomes a focus for followers of motor sport throughout the world. Anti-climax at the end of the season has been its only major shortcoming, and a simple alternation in the rules could easily put things right."

oh by the way...this article was in the 1972 AUTOCOURSE Annual.............

Murph
Old 29 Oct 2002, 17:59 (Ref:416554)   #8
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, actually 40 years of Formula 1 experience proved that the gap between the winner and the runner-up should be increased (from 8-6 to 9-6 and then from 9 to 10)and all of a sudden someone decides to half it. But of course, for the sake of "increase show and entertainment"...

Last edited by Red; 29 Oct 2002 at 18:01.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 22:44 (Ref:416811)   #9
nameless
Racer

nameless should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think that the should have gone down to 10th place point scorers with more than 10 points for a win so the gap between second and first is still a reasonable margin, 2 points isnt. btw how does the scoring in cart/wsbk etc. go they use large numbers dont they, but what exactly
Old 29 Oct 2002, 22:50 (Ref:416826)   #10
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART points are 20,16,14,12,10,8,6,5,4,3,2,1, to 12th place plus a point for leading the most laps, a point for Friday qualifying pole and a point for Saturday qualifying pole. Friday pole is also guaranteed a front row start regardless of what happens on Saturday.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 23:54 (Ref:416925)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Inconsequential. However, Bermax had to come up with something when their lunatic ideas were rejected, and the Constructors had to say they didn't reject everything.
If anything, the quals system just decreased the interest in my opinion.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 13:38 (Ref:417425)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Racers, race to win not come in second. Maybe near the end of the season the title contenders will try to race more prudently but they all still want to win. More than anything this was an attempt to prevent Ferrari (or the dominant team) from running away with the points. They had half of the points last year!! Now the chances of that happening are less. Also this will aid in making the season longer, the titles will not be decided as easily. I am for it.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 15:43 (Ref:417554)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't NASCAR give points just for showing up? They end the season with four-figure points totals so they must give you a point for everything you do. That IMO makes it too cheap.

I'd have a "points deduction" program too if it were up to me. Like points off for ramming another car off the track and causing it not to be able to continue, while you continue on -- lose your points for that race. Cause a red flag to fly, lose your points for that race or if you don't get any points, lose your points from the last race that you DID get points from. Rig the finish and cause people to ask for their money back, lose your points.

I'm sure you could think of others.

And at the end of the season if you have not lost any points through being stupid, duplicitous or otherwise, extra points for sportsmanship.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 15:47 (Ref:417559)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
I'd also give points for artistic impression.

And for the pitbabes.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 16:59 (Ref:417649)   #15
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
I'd also give points for artistic impression.

And for the pitbabes.
Agreed

I agree to with the concept of drivers losing points for unsportsmanlike conduct.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 17:03 (Ref:417652)   #16
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess you could judge artistic impression by how many times you show up on the highlights reel. Jos ought to win that one hands down, although the Williams drivers will usually give him some competition.

And don't make "unsportsmanlike conduct" subject to artistic interpretation or subject to appeal. It's a specific list of things and if you've done them then you're busted. New things can only be added in the off season.

P.S. "Causing TGF or DC to exert some effort to pass you" is not one of those things on the list.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 17:10 (Ref:417657)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Good point. Synchronized dancing should receve an extra bonus.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 17:12 (Ref:417658)   #18
Liz
Veteran

Side by side spins with your teammate?
Old 30 Oct 2002, 17:47 (Ref:417685)   #19
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
If I remember correctly the points system was changed in the 80's from 8 points for the winner and 6 for second to the current system on the grounds of increasing the racing spectacle, as drivers were inclined to settle for second and there was little incentive to try and win. I might be cynical but therefore isnt this a step backwards.
I do however agree with awarding points for the top eight finishers.

Last edited by Mal; 30 Oct 2002 at 17:48.
Old 30 Oct 2002, 19:12 (Ref:417751)   #20
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Don't NASCAR give points just for showing up? They end the season with four-figure points totals so they must give you a point for everything you do. That IMO makes it too cheap.

I'd have a "points deduction" program too if it were up to me. Like points off for ramming another car off the track and causing it not to be able to continue, while you continue on -- lose your points for that race. Cause a red flag to fly, lose your points for that race or if you don't get any points, lose your points from the last race that you DID get points from. Rig the finish and cause people to ask for their money back, lose your points.

I'm sure you could think of others.

And at the end of the season if you have not lost any points through being stupid, duplicitous or otherwise, extra points for sportsmanship.

The points deduction thing would be very difficult, if not impossible to police. But I think if a team rigs the finish ala Austria 02, they should be banned from a certain number of races, or maybe even the championship altogether ala Schumacher @ Jerez 97.
Old 31 Oct 2002, 04:29 (Ref:418152)   #21
Liz
Veteran

No it would be easy to enforce. Chop across the grid at the start, lose your points. Everyone with a television can see that. Ram another driver off the track; you continue, he doesn't, you're busted. Never mind any excuses. We saw it happen, you lose your points. Ram another driver up the bootlid (Jos v. Montoya in Brazil for example) and you're busted. No excuses. No appeals. You are BUSTED. Don't do it again.

I'm not talking about trying to figure out the subtle ways Ferrari finds to cheat their way to the top. I am talking about blatant, obvious things that a blind man could not miss.