Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2007, 03:07 (Ref:1942205)   #1
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Grids.

Hello TT F1 forum,

I was watching clips from F1 races back in the day, and noticed the grids were arranged 3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2.

Why couldn't we do that now? Sure, there would be a bigger chance of an accident, but, with all the runoff we have now, it could be done!

Your thoughts?

Cheers,
Matt.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 05:13 (Ref:1942242)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It could be done on some tracks, but not on others. Malaysia would be alright, but not Monaco. That kind of idea.

If we were to do 3-2-3-2, why not just do 3-3-3-3?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 06:14 (Ref:1942257)   #3
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
If we were to do 3-2-3-2, why not just do 3-3-3-3?
There was room to line up 3 cars across the track, but not to stagger them in alternate rows - the outer cars were virtually at the edge of the track. The row of 2 was I imagine a way of lessening the impact of a car not leaving the grid - you didn't have a car immediately in front of you. Many tracks still stagger the rows.
Old 20 Jun 2007, 09:17 (Ref:1942348)   #4
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I don't see any advantages in lining up 3 abreast....
Old 20 Jun 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1942477)   #5
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
I don't see any advantages in lining up 3 abreast....
Making the start an even bigger spectacle in motorsports than it already is?
Old 20 Jun 2007, 15:40 (Ref:1942611)   #6
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and then pretty much guaranteeing that all you get is a start, cos they all pile into each other at turn 1...
Old 20 Jun 2007, 17:09 (Ref:1942696)   #7
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
...and then pretty much guaranteeing that all you get is a start, cos they all pile into each other at turn 1...
I'm not sure if this would automatically follow; I would imagine that drivers would be aware of this risk and being alert to taking avoiding action if needs be. As a result I doubt whether first corner accidents would increase beyond current levels.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 08:25 (Ref:1943152)   #8
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grid rows of 2 have proven to be pretty reasonable. So let's keep them.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1943233)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnh875
There was room to line up 3 cars across the track, but not to stagger them in alternate rows - the outer cars were virtually at the edge of the track.
The problem of this is a faster starting driver doesn't have the room to make a potential overtake at the start.

The more worring thing is, if a car were to stall on the grid, there is nowhere for the cars behind to go, big accident time!

The F1 should (and indeed will) leave the grids as they are.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1943248)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the grids are too far apart. every circuit used to have a different grid format. at wide circuits like bahrain, turkey and malaysia... three or four wide would work.

infact, you will notice that tilke tracks are wider then other tracks.

you could easily have a 3-4-3-4-3-4 at any of the tilke tracks.

also, there doesnt need to be 10 metres between grid slots... surely one car length (3 metres is more then enough).. if grid slots were done a 2-3-2 or 3-4-3 basis..

to me.. the first corner is the only worthwhile part of a grand prix... i get sleepy after that..

motogp on the other hand...
Old 21 Jun 2007, 16:26 (Ref:1943490)   #11
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The current grid formation works well, and is the one thing F1 should not tamper with.
Old 21 Jun 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1943761)   #12
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The gaps are the size they are at the moment due to launch control and pure grunt. If you have 1 car space gap and the car infront stalls you would only know about it when you pile into the back of it.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:23 (Ref:1943914)   #13
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr V - a fast starter would aim for the gaps between the cars in front, if a car stalled it is either on the side of the track or not much different to the current situation. Obviously there was a reason why two by two was adopted however.

Raglanparade - if you had 4 cars wide with a car length between rows half the field probably wouldn't make the first turn!
Old 24 Jun 2007, 00:42 (Ref:1945201)   #14
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having used both inline and staggered grids, I think that staggered grids of 2-2-2-2 are safer than 2-2-2-2 inline as when someone stalls or makes a bad start you don't find two or three of you going for the same gap. In F1 the cars are more even so getting a good start will not be as big an advantage. I also do not ever remember seeing a Formula 1 jump the start.

Jeff
Old 26 Jun 2007, 19:42 (Ref:1947539)   #15
Paddockman
Racer

England
Hampshire UK
Paddockman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just get rid of computer generated starts with Launch Control, then maybe some skill will be involved!!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 19:44 (Ref:1947542)   #16
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They don't run launch control.

Although TC is still there admittedly.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 21:52 (Ref:1947658)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, launch control in the traditional sense is not allowed.

I think it is safe to say, though, that they have made adequate advances in other areas to mean that formation starts are the expectation. You know, for the most part, what kind of get away the different teams are liable to get.

There would have to be further tightening of design parameters to try and reduce this effect.