Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 29 Feb 2004, 17:01 (Ref:889256)   #1
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG expert required

Could somebody tell me the history of this car?:

http://gallery46441.fotopic.net/p2935683.html

http://gallery46441.fotopic.net/p2935684.html

I saw it at the 2003 Pomeroy Trophy meeting and I've had real trouble identifying it or finding out any information about it. It held a real attraction for me because I love MG's anyway - is this a rare model or a one-off "special"?
Old 29 Feb 2004, 18:26 (Ref:889301)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK here goes,

What you appear to be looking at is a MG Supercharged 1100cc Magnette, circa 1931/2. The slab tank version won its class driven by Count "Johnny" Laurani in the 1933 (?) Mille Miglia.

If my memory was working I could tell you who owned this one (if indeed it is tha same car) in 1990, but sadly the name eludes me.

Anybody want to correct me?

BTW. This, the C Type Midget and the J3 are possibly the most gorgeous of the pre war MGs.
Old 29 Feb 2004, 18:27 (Ref:889304)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oops,

Just looked again.

Its a special based upon the N Type Magnette. Not a K3 at all. Bugger!
Old 1 Mar 2004, 09:25 (Ref:889841)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
what excellant photos
sorry I cant help you on your enquiry but the Bugatti with a novice cross did bring a smile to my face - what a cool car to learn your race craft on!!!
Old 1 Mar 2004, 10:06 (Ref:889870)   #5
Riley Imp
Rookie

Riley Imp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
According to the Triple M Register it is a N type, chassis number, NA 0703, last known engine number 589AN. In 1991 it was owned by a M A Zimmerman. I have seen the car at events in the past, but not for some time. Very nice - surely a Triple M fan out there can provide more details.
Chris.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 16:53 (Ref:890305)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I agree. It is very nice.
Old 1 Mar 2004, 17:30 (Ref:890347)   #7
Chris Roden
Racer

Chris Roden should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Riley Imp
According to the Triple M Register it is a N type, chassis number, NA 0703, last known engine number 589AN. In 1991 it was owned by a M A Zimmerman. I have seen the car at events in the past, but not for some time. Very nice - surely a Triple M fan out there can provide more details.
Chris.
Yes the car is still owned by Mike Zimmerman and is an N type special. He has now retired from active competition and re-painted the car (the main body was unpainted and the wings were red). He still brings the car out on the occasional tour and to spectate on VSCC events.
I have contact details if you would like to get in touch.
The attached photo shows the car in it's original scheme. We were on our way to Monthlery, Mike is in the car but it's raining hence the unconventional hood.
Attached Thumbnails
mikescar.jpg  
Old 1 Mar 2004, 20:38 (Ref:890587)   #8
BugEyed
Racer

BugEyed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Positive Comments Only!

I'm not very expert on MG's, but can add the following:
  • It is nice to see such a period looking special. The car may have been produced in relatively recent years, but it looks as if the factory or a period special builder could have produced it.
  • It is nice to see something that doesn't claim to be what it isn't. It isn't a K3, Q type etc, but it is genuinely what it claims. Well done!
Let's hope that the owner will either restart competing himself or lend it to a younger member to compete in in the future.

Duncan
Old 1 Mar 2004, 20:53 (Ref:890612)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Re: Positive Comments Only!

Quote:
Originally posted by BugEyed
I'm not very expert on MG's, but can add the following:
  • It is nice to see such a period looking special. The car may have been produced in relatively recent years, but it looks as if the factory or a period special builder could have produced it.
  • It is nice to see something that doesn't claim to be what it isn't. It isn't a K3, Q type etc, but it is genuinely what it claims. Well done!
Let's hope that the owner will either restart competing himself or lend it to a younger member to compete in in the future.

Duncan
Agree with the "honesty" bit wholeheartedly. But why make it look like something it isn't?
Old 1 Mar 2004, 22:45 (Ref:890737)   #10
NickReeve
Rookie

NickReeve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Positive Comments Only!

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Agree with the "honesty" bit wholeheartedly. But why make it look like something it isn't?
I think that the trick with a good Special is getting to look 'right'. Part of that is getting it in period and part of it is to use styling cues from contemporary models. Good example would be the fact that most Riley Specials may resemble Brooklands models or Ulster Imps but but only in the fact that they share similar proportions and pick up certain design elements.

The obvious next question would be 'why build a special at all?' and I can answer that other than by saying 'Its Fun!' which is not a logical answer at all...

Btw... I agree that its a smashing looking car, and in my book thats good enough reason!
Old 2 Mar 2004, 10:20 (Ref:891074)   #11
Riley Imp
Rookie

Riley Imp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed Nick, I do not know what the starting point was for this Special, but it certainly looks the part, a credit to its constructor. There is general disapproval for destroying restorable pre-war saloons and tourers in order to create a racer. But, starting out with a pile of bits and creating a car that looks as though it might have been produced by the factory or a pre-war special builder can give enormous fun. I have done it. As long as one does not do it, with the objective of creating a fake, to pass as an original for profit, then I believe it to be acceptable practice. I know there will be people who disagree with me.
Chris.
Old 2 Mar 2004, 10:45 (Ref:891086)   #12
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you so much for your help. I have a photo of my modern MG-ZR (known to everybody as "Peril" because it's yellow) sitting next to it in the paddock at Silverstone. I wanted my MG to meet an "ancestor"; and it was also to see how much MG's have developed over a period of 70-75 years. But I didn't know anything about the "ancestor". I do now though
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:04 (Ref:891686)   #13
NickReeve
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Riley Imp
Agreed Nick, I do not know what the starting point was for this Special, but it certainly looks the part, a credit to its constructor. There is general disapproval for destroying restorable pre-war saloons and tourers in order to create a racer. But, starting out with a pile of bits and creating a car that looks as though it might have been produced by the factory or a pre-war special builder can give enormous fun. I have done it. As long as one does not do it, with the objective of creating a fake, to pass as an original for profit, then I believe it to be acceptable practice. I know there will be people who disagree with me.
Chris.
I'm right with you Chris. I totally support the VSCC edict on not making specials out of restorable tourers; may have been ok in the past but so many nice touring bodies have been lost now that its difficult to continue to support this practice. Faking is basically fraud and is unacceptable unless the resultant car is well documented as a fake or replica. That aside, there is a great deal of creativity involved in building a special that you just dont get through restoration. It also gives people a chance to build something very nice without having to cost an absolute fortune which is an important factor these days...

Nick
Old 2 Mar 2004, 21:06 (Ref:891688)   #14
NickReeve
Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by Suzy
Thank you so much for your help.
And thank you Suzy for the chance to wax lyrical! Fun thread!

Nick