Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 27 May 2003, 10:14 (Ref:611275)   #1
wouterwolfs
Rookie

Netherlands
the netherlands
wouterwolfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi R8C Question?

Hello,

I am doing a subject over the audi R8C. Explicit over the air- management but I dont find any technical info and photos of technical purpose.

I want to ask to all forum readers If they can help me with this task.

best regards,

wouter wolfs
Old 27 May 2003, 10:27 (Ref:611285)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This might help - http://www.mulsannescorner.com/audir8c.htm it is from Mulsanne Mike's wonderful and usefu; site
Old 27 May 2003, 12:20 (Ref:611372)   #3
wouterwolfs
Rookie

Netherlands
the netherlands
wouterwolfs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thank you for your reply RDJONES , but I already have that information of mulsannescorner. I'm looking for something specific more technical information with pictures. form above.

your sincerely,

wouter wolfs
Old 27 May 2003, 12:21 (Ref:611374)   #4
Javi
Veteran

Javi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article in Mulsannescorner is just SUPERB. I encourage everyone to visit the site (think most of you already have), very complete and precise, the explanations are clear and detailed. I´ve enjoyed it so so much
Old 27 May 2003, 14:14 (Ref:611490)   #5
H16
Racer

H16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Audi R8C was more a result of the Audi R8R being caught outdated by the BMW LMR's single rool hoop. That is how it was explained in the RACER write up after 1999.

It was a car that was undertested after being set up so quickly. The engine was the same, the gearboxes, I believe, different, and of course, the body.

At the time, Audi were asked if there would be any "rivarly" between the R8R and R8C and they said "Some, but they are both out to achive Audi victory".
Old 28 May 2003, 00:09 (Ref:611959)   #6
pitviper
Racer

pitviper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and with audi looking to build a GTP for 04, could we see it's "prper" return garner yet another one of those Audi victories?

pit
Old 28 May 2003, 06:40 (Ref:612119)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's got a roof and always looked 10 times better than the R8R. I know there are loads who disagree with me, but I was very disappointed that it only lasted one LM.
Old 28 May 2003, 07:43 (Ref:612163)   #8
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
And the best back-fire ever when shifting up the gears! During practice and when it was on its own in the race you could hear the upshifts from Maison Blanche campsite as it accelerated out of the Ford chicane and up past the pits. Great stuff, but I wasn't overly surprised that it didn't last the distance.
Old 28 May 2003, 12:05 (Ref:612384)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
It's got a roof and always looked 10 times better than the R8R. I know there are loads who disagree with me, but I was very disappointed that it only lasted one LM.
I thought it was hideous, and despite only knowing of it through the artice at Mulsannes Corner, i wasn't surprised to read at the end of the article that it was a failure...
It looked like a Hippo....
Old 28 May 2003, 13:19 (Ref:612473)   #10
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I liked the R8C visually. I also loved that one of the doors blew off in testing, but they didn't have any spares so they had to send the driver (Andy Wallace?) to go and get the old door!
Old 28 May 2003, 14:32 (Ref:612548)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
I thought it was hideous, and despite only knowing of it through the artice at Mulsannes Corner, i wasn't surprised to read at the end of the article that it was a failure...
It looked like a Hippo....

Well, if the R8C was a "hippo", the R8R (especially the original one) was an insult to the entire animal kingdom......
Old 29 May 2003, 12:20 (Ref:613467)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I liked the R8R. And if we took the roof off the R8C (of course it tried to do that itself at one point), and put it in direct competition with the R8R, what would you be saying then?....

Then again, the R8 surpassed them both, and that could be prettier still with a roof.....(or maybe it would simply become acceptable in your case?)
Old 29 May 2003, 12:24 (Ref:613478)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
What would be the point of taking the roof off? It's a question of personal preference I know, but I'm well known here for a liking of rooves.......

The R8 with a roof - well, it could only improve the looks - lets face it, it aint a pretty car, is it?
Old 29 May 2003, 12:27 (Ref:613489)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I like it....

I don't think those agressive angles and mean looking headlights do it any favours though....

It has a neat, well put together, and very purposeful look about it that i like.

Last edited by pirenzo; 29 May 2003 at 12:28.
Old 29 May 2003, 12:42 (Ref:613529)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Its a helluva car - to be sure, I just don't think its a pretty car at all. Put a Pesca Courage side by side with an R8, or the Dallara from last year and on looks alone, it pales in comparison. The only shame is it doesn't on performance!
Old 29 May 2003, 16:27 (Ref:613822)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, maybe i just haven't seen enough really pretty cars....
Though there was a car at Goodwood FoS last year that was absolutely amazing...
Then again, that the R8 is pretty is an opinion coming from someone who doesn't think the 956/962 is all that special, and was made to look nicer than it really was by those beautiful paint jobs
Old 29 May 2003, 17:12 (Ref:613872)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The 956/962 was a work of art compared to the R8.......
Old 29 May 2003, 19:28 (Ref:614016)   #18
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Not IMO. I liked the Rondeau that won in 1980, i suppose that says it all....
The 956 is just too plain dull looking. The Jags, Saubers, i think are/were nicer.
Old 30 May 2003, 05:31 (Ref:614348)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
All a matter of taste, isn't it. For me, the Group C cars were all far better looking and nicer to watch than the current open LMPs - and as for the Toyotas.....well, no comparison
Old 30 May 2003, 12:09 (Ref:614653)   #20
chris24
Rookie

chris24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I loved the R8C,but the R8 though is now looking a bit dull, apart from the Crocodile and Gulf cars. Design wise, i love the 2002 Bentley Exp 8, 1991 Mazda 787B, Porsche 911 GT1 and 1997 Lister Storm GT1. All funily enough had roofs. I did like the Panoz LMP1 in the Visteon colours though.
Old 30 May 2003, 12:18 (Ref:614668)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
A man withn taste. Add the GT-One and the McLaren F1 and we'd be pretty close.
Old 30 May 2003, 16:49 (Ref:614978)   #22
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
See i don't like the F1 either.

I do like the GT-One, and i really do like the Mazda 787b.
Old 30 May 2003, 20:40 (Ref:615220)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
The F1 was a gorgeous car with a gorgeous noise too....
Old 30 May 2003, 21:22 (Ref:615251)   #24
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I don't remember the noise. I saw it at Brands in '96 for the BPR (and the Porsche GT1 too, that was it's first race, and it's first win, and by a country mile too)