Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Apr 2002, 06:36 (Ref:260682)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Webber & His Teammate

In the eyes of most, Mark Webber has performed outstandingly well in the Minardi this year. So, in your eyes, do you think he will be disadvantaged (especially when it comes to 2003 contracts) by the fact that his teammate is not respected as a driver?
Old 15 Apr 2002, 07:29 (Ref:260695)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Not at all Mac. If it was just Yoong he was in front of, maybe. But the reality is he is qualifying extremely well in front of some faster cars and on occassion give them a run for their money in the race.

I won't go on about the 2 points, they were lucky, but the team and Mark deserved to get them with all things considered. And lets face it, any of the bottom 6 or 7 teams get points it was lucky.

I was impressed to see him put the move on DeLaRosa (the 2nd best driver in F1 - still cracks me up ) and keep him behind with ease.

This year is a test session for Mark, get some 'race' experience, and show Renault (and others) his potential.

Good Luck to him.
Old 15 Apr 2002, 09:24 (Ref:260762)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can already hear Renault AND Mercedes knocking on the door for the future.

'Excuse us, Mr Webber, we were wondering if you......'

The rest is up to you!
Old 15 Apr 2002, 13:06 (Ref:261048)   #4
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Aussies are just the best. And I reckon Webber is up their in the drinking stakes as well. Did you see him on the today show the morning after Melbourne. I am sure they Stodart was off screen holding Webbers beer for him.

Champion.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 14:44 (Ref:262183)   #5
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesnt he manage the Schumacher bros as well as some hotels too? The lad is talented, theres no escaping it.
Old 16 Apr 2002, 17:24 (Ref:262341)   #6
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressive stuff Mark Webber!

Although given the fact that Minardi now isn't so tiny, has a budget and up-to-date engines, it makes you wonder how they managed at all last year doesn't it?
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 17 Apr 2002, 18:11 (Ref:263377)   #7
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi Mania

Everyone talks about the front end of F1 like the domination of Ferrari but Minardi are out performing Jaguar and Arrows on occasions with budgets 14 times as large.
Mark Webber is a good solid driver and can get the car home, its a shame they rely on Yongs money for the second drive as another Webber would be great for them.

Guy
Old 17 Apr 2002, 18:14 (Ref:263382)   #8
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber for Ferrari drive?
Old 17 Apr 2002, 18:50 (Ref:263403)   #9
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
Webber for Ferrari drive?
Minardi with Ferrari engines sounds better!

Guy
Old 17 Apr 2002, 23:55 (Ref:263585)   #10
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Everyone knows Mark's got the speed. Now, Mark is showing the maturity he lacked in F3000 last year.

Webber and Ferrari sounds great hakk!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 05:29 (Ref:263666)   #11
BD
Racer

BD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DavidStHubbins
doesnt he manage the Schumacher bros as well as some hotels too? The lad is talented, theres no escaping it.
I hope you are kidding, wrong Webber.

Webber has done a great job so far. I hope he moves on to a stronger team next year. He deserves it.
Old 18 Apr 2002, 06:33 (Ref:263683)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Contrary to popular opinion, if DC leaves McLaren (or is forced out) it will between Mark and Nick Heidfeld for the second McLaren seat.

Both drivers have strong links to Mercedes, and it's about time they started throwing some weight around!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 08:12 (Ref:263723)   #13
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i've read that webber's split with merc wasnt exactly friendly, so i doubt he wiil be in line for the mclaren seat
Old 18 Apr 2002, 08:27 (Ref:263730)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
It wasn't on the greatest of terms, but that was because it was just after his sportscar flips at Le Mans plus he was itching to get into single seaters again.

But Mercedes still hold Webber in high regard, but he is only a long shot at any sort of seat there. But it would be good to see!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 08:39 (Ref:263736)   #15
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Guy Goddard

Minardi with Ferrari engines sounds better!

Guy
The last time that Minardi had Ferrari engines they got screwed because Ferrari put a clause in the contract saying that Ferrari had the right to approve any new sponsorship that Minardi found, the idea being to stop any clashes of sponsor between the 2 teams. But what happened was when Minardi landed a realy big sponsor Ferrari vetoed it and then grabbed the sponsor!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 08:41 (Ref:263737)   #16
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
Good memory Morris. The sponsor in 1991 would have been Pioneer, who would have injected a serious amount of funds into the team... but of course Ferrari, being Ferrari.......

Minardi got their revenge, however, at Imola when they were the only Ferrari powered car in the top 6 - Martini finished 4th!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 08:58 (Ref:263750)   #17
calais
Veteran

typical ferrari!!!!
pinching sponsors from struggling teams!!!
Old 18 Apr 2002, 23:57 (Ref:264454)   #18
mac
Veteran

I read somewhere that Webber and Norbert Haug don't get on particularly well after Le Mans '98. I heard that they hadn't spoken at all from that race to about Christmas time 2001.

He would be good for McLaren. Unfortunately I can't see it happening. Where Mark goes could come down to what Renault say.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 00:44 (Ref:264465)   #19
wooly
Rookie

wooly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren? Nah... and I think Renault would be out of the picture, what with JV, Trulli, Button and Alonso all in line for the seat. Jaguar could be a possibility if Eddie leaves, and BAR could also be a possibility. But as Hakki said, how good would it be if he was in a Ferrari? I doubt it though... Shuey would be too worried
Old 19 Apr 2002, 01:42 (Ref:264482)   #20
calais
Veteran

on present form, i would not leave minardi to go to jaguar!!!!!!!
Old 19 Apr 2002, 10:52 (Ref:264707)   #21
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, I can't see Webber going anywhere for at least another year.

He ISN'T Alonso. Alonso is a serious peice of real estate (if you can call a bum on your seat that!!). Webber isn't worth as much. Yet.
Old 19 Apr 2002, 10:59 (Ref:264726)   #22
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mac
I read somewhere that Webber and Norbert Haug don't get on particularly well after Le Mans '98. I heard that they hadn't spoken at all from that race to about Christmas time 2001.

He would be good for McLaren. Unfortunately I can't see it happening. Where Mark goes could come down to what Renault say.
I'm not surprised! You don't expect your car to suddenly give an aerobatics display in the middle of a race!
Old 19 Apr 2002, 11:18 (Ref:264755)   #23
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Dr. Austin won't mind me pinching the following from one of his threads -

"When webber crashed the second time, he did so in the race morning warm up. Once he was cleared to race by the medical staff, he went directly to the Mercedes garage. the crew were still trying to thrash frantically and get the car ready for the race. The entire place was engulfed in sheer chaos. Mercedes had pulled out in 1988, a race the surely would have won, over tire conserns. It is still a decision they are loathe to even talk about. They would love to do it over, no doubt.

Now, with all the pride and money on the line, they had to stand and fight. There could be no pulling out. All three cars would make the show.

webber walks in visably shaken and waves off several press people. He walks over to one of the benches and leans on it, obviously wanting to be left alone. My friend who was there strolled up and leaned on the bench next to webber, gives him a big smile and asks him "Hey, Bud, how the hell are you gonna drive that car after the ride you just had?'

Now, remember that they are surrounded by media and mercedes brass. Norbert Haugg is only two feet away. The garage is the scene of intense interest from the entire racing world. There are cameras and microphones everywhere.

Webber doesn't even take time to think about what he has just been asked. With no consern that everyone will hear him, he loudly proclaims; "You aren't going to see ME get in THAT ****ing car, mate. No ****ing way!"

So the third Mercedes, thankfully did not make the race. Mercedes said it was over safety conserns, that they believed the flying problem was confined to the #4 car of webber. But the truth is they didn't have three drivers for it. And Webber never again drove for Mercedes. Not that he cares or anything...."

I'd be surprised if Mark drives for Mercedes!
Old 19 Apr 2002, 23:48 (Ref:265314)   #24
mac
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tristan
He ISN'T Alonso. Alonso is a serious peice of real estate (if you can call a bum on your seat that!!). Webber isn't worth as much. Yet.
I might be a bit biased, but I reckon Webber is every bit as good as Alonso, but more mature. He may even be better. It is just that Mark doesn't have a fancy sounding European or South American name, or isn't British.

As for the Mercedes thing, I think what Mark had the ****s with the most, was that after Mark went flying twice, Mercedes implied that the accidents were somehow his fault.
Old 20 Apr 2002, 09:53 (Ref:265550)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
if i remember rightly, didn't mercades ring adrian newey, who was in canada for the grand prix at 3 o'clock in the morning (canadian time) and ask his advice on the aerodynamics of the car and why it kept flying and should they pull out of the event?

adrians answer was never said publicly, but from what i read/saw on tv, he basically said that le man's cars aerodynamics weren't his thing!