Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Apr 2007, 13:13 (Ref:1888023)   #1
outinfront
Rookie

Australia
In a castle
outinfront should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why is the CARUSO name continually over-looked???
I think that this young kid has what it takes to be in the 'big-boys game'.
He sure knows how to handle a car, given his past of getting results when it has to count. Not bad for a driver that has got to where he is on his pure talent.

When the kid drove at Bathurst in 2006, did a remarkable job, given the circumstances. When he got into the #12 BOC car it was position 20th, he took it up to position 8th until he did a driver change and BREDE put it into the wall after not pumping the brakes after a tyre/brake change.

Put it this way, He beat Mark Winterbottom to the Ford Factory-backed Formula Ford drive. Won the 2003 Formula 3 championship. finished 4 in his first year in v8's. I have been told that he drove tests in Formula 3000 in Europe, setting a better time in the winter on cold tyres, then their regular driver did in summer on good tyres. (I'm not going to mention any more, don't want to take up the max internet usage for ten-tenths. ha ha ha)

* What are these teams thinking?????? Surely they have their heads in the sand.

He drove like a real professional at Clipsal, but had some minor 'CAR' problems at Wakefield Park. Yet he still managed to make up some places. (Not bad for a car that lost 10 pos after penalty in the pits. Crew error) (Also given the fact that Mr MORTON wasn't worried about CARUSO's car, it was all about DENYER, and will remain like that. Glad to see he's used the 'Ford Rising Stars Racing' profile correctly. Since when is DENYER a Rising Star, he's 30 this year, give it a rest MORTON)

The only reason that teams haven't looked at this kid is that they all want the MONEY over talent. I know that I'd rather have this young lad in my teams seat over a couple of other drivers who have been linked/signed to enduro drives. Would do much better than GURR, Kayne SCOTT, WEBB, PRETTY, D'ALBERTO, HALLIDAY, BESNARD, and definately DENYER (whose too busy with his little tv show)

Why dont they give this kid a go. ???????? If I was in the position to out-lay money for this kid to drive in the enduro's I WOULD, however 'powers linked' have made this impossible.

Anyway, hopefully I'll see this kid in my pit this year, as either a driver (for another team, :-( Or as a spectator come Sunday on Bathrust 1000). I know he'll be on top of the fujitsu list at this stage.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 02:58 (Ref:1889429)   #2
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That and David Besnard keeps taking all the seats that become available.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 06:43 (Ref:1889490)   #3
The Profiler
Rookie

The Profiler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All, yes I’ve been warned!!! I’m supposed to “attack the post not the poster.” I guess that’s a bit like flaying into the timber thing that holds the power lines up with an axe whilst trying not to harm the picture of the “school prefect” type trying to gain our vote in the upcoming election hanging from it with a felt pen.

Thing is I find it very difficult to mount a plausible and logical argument against much of the comment herein without bringing into consideration and question the chromosome count of some of the contributors. Having said that (“I hope this post has taken that on board” ) it does seem a little unfair to me that “The Poster” (“The picture of the aspiring Politician”) can get on these pages and make all sorts of wild and unsubstantiated comments and allegations about other people but is protected from “return fire” by the rules of the site. However, here goes!!!

I am placing this rant in this place because I am more than a little miffed and upset at the suggestion that there may exist some hitherto previously unknown and unheard of bias in the sport we all know and love. Can it be true? Is it really possible that some race teams actually select drivers for reasons other than their ability to steer a race car? Surely not!!! I mean to say all those boffins that run and control the race teams almost certainly became so independently wealthy by donating to charity and developing “work for the dole” schemes. Are you kidding!!!! A really good friend of mine once told me the truest thing that has ever been said to me about this business. “Motor Racing is unashamedly a whore; it does everything that it does for one thing and one thing only, Money!!”
Given that and the fact that just like the metaphor of the “worlds oldest profession’ I don’t see anything changing in the near future. Benevolent mentors in this sport/business are rarer than the proverbial “pork chop in a synagogue” so when one does come along we should not mock or deride but encourage and applaud.

If you have been able to read this far, you will by now, I hope, appreciate how unbelievably refreshing it is that there still are some that do what they do and stay involved purely for the love of our sport. Having said that, even the most benevolent of benefactors would find the “money well” running dry if they did not indulge their passion whilst keeping one eye on the balance sheet. We’ve all heard the old saying: “How do you make a small fortune out of Motor Sport? You start with a big one”.

So people, it is a rare find indeed to discover someone who has been able to construct a Motor racing operation that manages to survive, pay its bills, be professional and at the same time give talented young drivers the type of opportunity that is usually only seen and heard in Disney movies. Now, here is where I have to be careful, you know the only person I know that fit’s the aforementioned criteria was given a right royal pull through by one of the contributors on this thread and that is Jim Morton. The irony or paradox of this contribution is that it purports to support a young driver, who is by all accounts as the poster (there’s that word again) quite rightly assert is an extremely talented young driver. Paradox? Irony? Young Mr. Caruso would never have been in the position he is today, a position that it now seems is able to insight such comment, if it had not been for the support and benevolence of the man so roundly criticised “Jim Morton”. Dare I say a lot more meaningful and constructive support that is offered herein?

Maybe all who chose to have an opinion on these pages should take the time to perform a little more research before bounding into cyber space and saying the first thing that comes to their collective heads. I’m sure Jason Bright, James Courtney, Mark Winterbottom, Leanne Tander, Adam Clark just to name a few would all agree.

Last edited by The Profiler; 12 Apr 2007 at 06:46.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 06:58 (Ref:1889493)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Profiler
Hi All, yes I’ve been warned!!! I’m supposed to “attack the post not the poster.” I guess that’s a bit like flaying into the timber thing that holds the power lines up with an axe whilst trying not to harm the picture of the “school prefect” type trying to gain our vote in the upcoming election hanging from it with a felt pen.

Thing is I find it very difficult to mount a plausible and logical argument against much of the comment herein without bringing into consideration and question the chromosome count of some of the contributors. Having said that (“I hope this post has taken that on board” ) it does seem a little unfair to me that “The Poster” (“The picture of the aspiring Politician”) can get on these pages and make all sorts of wild and unsubstantiated comments and allegations about other people but is protected from “return fire” by the rules of the site. However, here goes!!!

I am placing this rant in this place because I am more than a little miffed and upset at the suggestion that there may exist some hitherto previously unknown and unheard of bias in the sport we all know and love. Can it be true? Is it really possible that some race teams actually select drivers for reasons other than their ability to steer a race car? Surely not!!! I mean to say all those boffins that run and control the race teams almost certainly became so independently wealthy by donating to charity and developing “work for the dole” schemes. Are you kidding!!!! A really good friend of mine once told me the truest thing that has ever been said to me about this business. “Motor Racing is unashamedly a whore; it does everything that it does for one thing and one thing only, Money!!”
Given that and the fact that just like the metaphor of the “worlds oldest profession’ I don’t see anything changing in the near future. Benevolent mentors in this sport/business are rarer than the proverbial “pork chop in a synagogue” so when one does come along we should not mock or deride but encourage and applaud.

If you have been able to read this far, you will by now, I hope, appreciate how unbelievably refreshing it is that there still are some that do what they do and stay involved purely for the love of our sport. Having said that, even the most benevolent of benefactors would find the “money well” running dry if they did not indulge their passion whilst keeping one eye on the balance sheet. We’ve all heard the old saying: “How do you make a small fortune out of Motor Sport? You start with a big one”.

So people, it is a rare find indeed to discover someone who has been able to construct a Motor racing operation that manages to survive, pay its bills, be professional and at the same time give talented young drivers the type of opportunity that is usually only seen and heard in Disney movies. Now, here is where I have to be careful, you know the only person I know that fit’s the aforementioned criteria was given a right royal pull through by one of the contributors on this thread and that is Jim Morton. The irony or paradox of this contribution is that it purports to support a young driver, who is by all accounts as the poster (there’s that word again) quite rightly assert is an extremely talented young driver. Paradox? Irony? Young Mr. Caruso would never have been in the position he is today, a position that it now seems is able to insight such comment, if it had not been for the support and benevolence of the man so roundly criticised “Jim Morton”. Dare I say a lot more meaningful and constructive support that is offered herein?

Maybe all who chose to have an opinion on these pages should take the time to perform a little more research before bounding into cyber space and saying the first thing that comes to their collective heads. I’m sure Jason Bright, James Courtney, Mark Winterbottom, Leanne Tander, Adam Clark just to name a few would all agree.
After all that, i'm sure Michael will have a drive come Enduro time. While i'm at it thanks Jim Morton for giving him a chance to shine.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 07:06 (Ref:1889498)   #5
davester
Racer

davester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
POOR FORM by the original poster to attack Jim Morton in such a manner.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 07:52 (Ref:1889515)   #6
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
.. deleted

Last edited by Falcadore; 12 Apr 2007 at 07:56.
Old 12 Apr 2007, 23:53 (Ref:1890088)   #7
gtrtt
Rookie

gtrtt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Cuaruso will be driving in the enduros this year. I think you will find that team BOC have asked him back to look at him as a potential for the main game in the future.

He is a talented driver and he will get his chance, but attacking Jim Morton or even Dale Brede is not right.

Just so you know Dale handed Caruso the car after Dales first stint in 13th postion not 20th as you described, and Caruso was no faster than Dale, and Caruso had been driving V8,s all year wheaas Dale had not. This is just to point out that both drivers did a good job. Dale stuck it in, which was a combiantion of his mistake and the team, but Dale had a chance at Dynamik and didnt perform, and Caruso will be given his chance in the future, amazing how some drivers are given a chance and dodnt do it for a team and then get another chance with another team and go the distance ( Jamie Whincup).

Lets hope Caruso gets a good chance to shine.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 02:34 (Ref:1890127)   #8
outinfront
Rookie

Australia
In a castle
Mr Profiler and all others,

I would like to take the chance to clear the water (in order to prevent the storm....from other 'posters'). And if necessary apologise for sounding harsh towards one.

If the original post is understood/seems to be an individual attack on Mr MORTON, I wish to notify ALL that is not the intention nor direction premeditated. The frustration while compiling and submitting the post disregarded the original intention of venting dismay towards the Teams (Main series) concerning drives and drivers for Sandown/Bathurst (2007 and beyond).

All who have seen the progression with the regarding exciting/gifted drivers (ie: Jason Bright, James Courtney, Mark Winterbottom, Leanne Tander, Adam Clark) would agreed that this has only been with the HUGE effort/support and help Mr MORTON has given and offered throughout the years. I also acknowledge the fact that Mr MORTON has played significant role in Mr CARUSO's development as a driver and also in his mature approach to Motor Racing.

I have dealt/known Mr MORTON for a number of years (over 10 to be more specific) and have found that his continued enthusiasm to be beneficial to all involved in the Motor Racing industry. From Go-Karts to V8 Supercars, nothing has been left untouched or unturned (being either steering wheel or spanner) by Mr MORTON. He has certainly attracted the correct approached to the 'New Era' of Development Series Racing (ie: Ford Rising Stars Racing).
But on that note, is it not possible for Mr MORTON to at least acknowledge others within the Team.
The only picture obvious at Clipsal (Witnessed by myself) and Wakefield Park (Witnessed by 'very' close business associate of mine) was that, the 'Teams' new focus is all about Mr DENYER. Yes Mr DENYER has an established television 'image' to bring, however, since when is it a beneficial move (for the Team) to place such considerable amount of time on Mr DENYER's car and set-up, knowing true and well that he is not (and will not) be in contention for the Championship??? I am aware and so are many people that Mr DENYER has obtained a large number of sponsors which has allowed the Ford Rising Stars Racing Team to evolve, by this I mean his contract/agreement with Ford, Summit, and his agreement with Channel 7. Is it a correct assumption that Mr DENYER has obtained a number of drivers solely on the basis of his fathers' status or possibly because of his agreement with Ford. DENYER + CONTRACT = FORD :-) DENYER + FORD = A Guaranteed drive in a Ford for Bathurst and Sandown. 2007 with Team Kiwi.

What I do wish to emphasise is the fact that a talent has not been 'given/allowed' the opportunity/chance (with level 1 Teams) to prove to other critics his true form, this has been as a result of a number of reasons and one mainly being MONEY. Also how are these 'drivers' suppose to gain opportunities in order to develop experience????

As I was told a number of years ago: 'Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.

Hence, my comment on drivers paying huge money for drives, while there are more than 'suitable' drives awaiting, however THEY are unable to out-lay the money. I totally understand and hear every word in regards to the 'money tree' (or lack of money trees within Teams given the drought season, not much is growing). However why haven't others seen it that case of, 'Talented Driver + Good Results + Good Team = Success/Exposure/Titles/Progression'. Other then relying on 'Big Money' + Driver = Team = Success. THIS IS SURELY WRONG.........

I have gone to some considerable lengths and have been involved in conversations with person/s that are in the position to assist a driver like Michael Caruso, however due to the fact that a $$$$$ sign isn't accompanying my recommendation/request the teams have had to think long and hard in relation to offering him the drive. As I have said, I would pay a 'LARGE' sum of money for Michael to obtain an enduro seat, however the 'Powers from Above' (the 'Bodies') have put a stop/hold to this, due to possible conflict of interest.
I just want to clarify something for the 'posters' and readers, "If we hadn't signed up 1 driver last year, you would be seeing Michael in a top 10 Team (For Enduro's), however at the moment there is no option whatsoever to 'make' this seat available"

Anyway, without further stating the already obvious I must complete this post.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 03:13 (Ref:1890147)   #9
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And what, having money makes drivers slow?

Are you just suggesting that those without money are 'better' than those with it?

Rather broad statement, if that is what you are trying to make.

Why not just accept that the fact that this is how motorsport operates and get on with the best job that you can do for Mr Caruso.

Ok then, how much is he paying for his seat at BOC? I doubt whether it is anything, why? Because BOC want him. Why not make the best out of a not-so good situation and get on with the job at hand rather than whinge that the FPR seat and another was taken perhaps due to $$ (If that is what you are impying).

Plus your equation in talented driver + good results = exposure etc isn't exactly right.

Do you think Britek would have been better off putting someone else in the car other than the paying Gurr? You really think that the other driver could come up with X amount of dollars of exposure - matching Gurr's settlement with the team?

I HIGHLY doubt that.

Sure the money/talent situation isn't the best. Unfortunately that's the way it is, so just get on with it and make the most of what you have.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 03:45 (Ref:1890154)   #10
outinfront
Rookie

Australia
In a castle
gtrtt,

I have only made comment on BREDE, by stating that he put the car into the wall. As previously stated on another thread it states that CARUSO was the driver. To tell you the truth, I am 100% certain that I looked in the pit/shed and didn't see him in there when the accident occurred, he was in the transporter.

I have no doubt that BREDE will be there (driving enduros) again, as will Caruso. I have no doubt that both have the instinct needed/required for Bathurst/Sandown.
Also, I'll stand to be corrected but BREDE has driven v8's since the konica minolta series. And has also been in (not literally) the BOC seat since April 2005.
Cant wait for the enduro rounds.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1890158)   #11
outinfront
Rookie

Australia
In a castle
Oaksnaf,

Please don't take this the wrong way,

BUT, I have not said that having money makes a driver slow,
I have implied that a Team will take a driver that is mediocre, who has a transporter full of cash OVER a gifted kid with determination and minor financial backing. Thats all.

I dont even recall mentioning the FPR or 'other' seat on this thread, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyhow,

It is well and truly time to get on with the job. Don't get me wrong, there are still a few kids out there, that are more than fitting for a chance/opportunity to step up. Damien WHITE, etc, etc
Old 13 Apr 2007, 05:40 (Ref:1890176)   #12
The Profiler
Rookie

The Profiler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
“Attack the post not the poster, Attack the post not the poster, Attack the post not the poster, Attack the post not the poster” OH!! Hello I was just having one of my “ten tenths” nightmares..

Well it seems this little ole thread has moved head on into the Motor Sport version of Palestine Vs Israel i.e. Talent Vs Money.

Thing is, just like the desert dweller conflict that has been going on ever since Moses emerged from the bull rushes and until our Motor Sport administrators have the courage to put in place a performance based system of advancement through the professional categories within the sport there is no right or wrong answer, no real solution, we just have to learn to live with it.

I appreciate and understand the passion that drives the devotee’s frustration about the lack of fairness and sense that from the outside seems to deliver some ludicrous decisions in the driver market. However we need to take a moment of pause and take on board the simple fact that motor racing is “a business” and for all sorts of internal commercial reasons one driver will be offered an opportunity that another may not. The reality is that in today’s world being talented is, quite simply, no guarantee of success, today’s complete driver has to have an acute and intimate understanding of the commercial needs of the business as well as being able to drive fast.

Probably the best example of this reality is Mark Webber, now Mark was prior to his elevation to the Holy Grail of Motorsport, F1 one of 3 Aussie’s vying for success on the world stage. The other two were Ryan Briscoe and James Courtney, now history will show that Mark is in F1, Ryan is racing sports cars in America and James is in V8 Supercar. Now I’ll probably start another huge bun fight by saying this but if you take the time to examine then relative performance CV’s of the three, then James Courtney stands head and shoulders above the other two and dare I say Ryan’s Domestic and International results puts Mark’s in the shade. Thing is there progression through the sport has been diametrically opposed to what their performances would dictate they ought to be. According to the performance based theory, Courtney should be in F1 (and be a potential world champ) Briscoe should be in IRL and Webber would be in a mid field V8 team.

What happened? Quite simply Marks talent off the track and in the board rooms obviously compensated for any short comings he may have had on the race track. Like I said there is no right and wrong it’s just the way it is.

So guys and gals it is something we will all have to continue live with.

Oh and before I go!! Any suggestion that “Mr. Denyer” receives preferential treatment within the Ford Rising Star’s team is fanciful.
Old 13 Apr 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1890280)   #13
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Profiler.... Nail....WACK...head...
Old 13 Apr 2007, 13:09 (Ref:1890426)   #14
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by outinfront
Mr Profiler and all others,

I would like to take the chance to clear the water (in order to prevent the storm....from other 'posters'). And if necessary apologise for sounding harsh towards one.

If the original post is understood/seems to be an individual attack on Mr MORTON, I wish to notify ALL that is not the intention nor direction premeditated. The frustration while compiling and submitting the post disregarded the original intention of venting dismay towards the Teams (Main series) concerning drives and drivers for Sandown/Bathurst (2007 and beyond).

All who have seen the progression with the regarding exciting/gifted drivers (ie: Jason Bright, James Courtney, Mark Winterbottom, Leanne Tander, Adam Clark) would agreed that this has only been with the HUGE effort/support and help Mr MORTON has given and offered throughout the years. I also acknowledge the fact that Mr MORTON has played significant role in Mr CARUSO's development as a driver and also in his mature approach to Motor Racing.

I have dealt/known Mr MORTON for a number of years (over 10 to be more specific) and have found that his continued enthusiasm to be beneficial to all involved in the Motor Racing industry. From Go-Karts to V8 Supercars, nothing has been left untouched or unturned (being either steering wheel or spanner) by Mr MORTON. He has certainly attracted the correct approached to the 'New Era' of Development Series Racing (ie: Ford Rising Stars Racing).
But on that note, is it not possible for Mr MORTON to at least acknowledge others within the Team.
The only picture obvious at Clipsal (Witnessed by myself) and Wakefield Park (Witnessed by 'very' close business associate of mine) was that, the 'Teams' new focus is all about Mr DENYER. Yes Mr DENYER has an established television 'image' to bring, however, since when is it a beneficial move (for the Team) to place such considerable amount of time on Mr DENYER's car and set-up, knowing true and well that he is not (and will not) be in contention for the Championship??? I am aware and so are many people that Mr DENYER has obtained a large number of sponsors which has allowed the Ford Rising Stars Racing Team to evolve, by this I mean his contract/agreement with Ford, Summit, and his agreement with Channel 7. Is it a correct assumption that Mr DENYER has obtained a number of drivers solely on the basis of his fathers' status or possibly because of his agreement with Ford. DENYER + CONTRACT = FORD :-) DENYER + FORD = A Guaranteed drive in a Ford for Bathurst and Sandown. 2007 with Team Kiwi.

What I do wish to emphasise is the fact that a talent has not been 'given/allowed' the opportunity/chance (with level 1 Teams) to prove to other critics his true form, this has been as a result of a number of reasons and one mainly being MONEY. Also how are these 'drivers' suppose to gain opportunities in order to develop experience????

As I was told a number of years ago: 'Money is the ROOT of all EVIL.

Hence, my comment on drivers paying huge money for drives, while there are more than 'suitable' drives awaiting, however THEY are unable to out-lay the money. I totally understand and hear every word in regards to the 'money tree' (or lack of money trees within Teams given the drought season, not much is growing). However why haven't others seen it that case of, 'Talented Driver + Good Results + Good Team = Success/Exposure/Titles/Progression'. Other then relying on 'Big Money' + Driver = Team = Success. THIS IS SURELY WRONG.........

I have gone to some considerable lengths and have been involved in conversations with person/s that are in the position to assist a driver like Michael Caruso, however due to the fact that a $$$$$ sign isn't accompanying my recommendation/request the teams have had to think long and hard in relation to offering him the drive. As I have said, I would pay a 'LARGE' sum of money for Michael to obtain an enduro seat, however the 'Powers from Above' (the 'Bodies') have put a stop/hold to this, due to possible conflict of interest.
I just want to clarify something for the 'posters' and readers, "If we hadn't signed up 1 driver last year, you would be seeing Michael in a top 10 Team (For Enduro's), however at the moment there is no option whatsoever to 'make' this seat available"

Anyway, without further stating the already obvious I must complete this post.
A few points on this....

If (and I have no knowledge of this either way) Mr Morton put more effort into Denyer's car, maybe it was because he knew that was the one most likely to be shown on TV?

Money is actually the root of all MOTORSPORT. ALL motorsport takes place after someone has parted with some money in some way. Some can part with more than others. Fact of life, live with it.

You have ignored another basic equation.... "Talented driver" + "Good results" + "Good team" + "No money" = "No team for long". The first 3 elements may possibly attract money - but the easiest money to attract comes with a driver attached already.

Sounds like Caruso has got a drive - where is the problem? Which of the elements of the equation above are missing from his deal?????