Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 6 Dec 2007, 18:42 (Ref:2083013)   #1
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autosport International/ Pistonheads show

I'm looking at buying my ticket for this but while looking at there site i noticed there is a Pistonheads show in the adjacent halls but the autosport site makes no mention of it other than a link at the top of the page.

Are these shows related? Can you visit both?

Looking at there price lists the autosport site says only their show plus the arena, the pistonheads site says both shows plus the arena for the same price.

Whats going on!

So dont buy your ticket online via autosport-international, go to the link to the pistonheads show where you get more for your money!
Old 6 Dec 2007, 19:10 (Ref:2083042)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you get in both wherever you biy your ticket.

But TWENTY EIGHT QUID (plus parking) ?!?!?!??!!?!? No ****ing chance.
Old 6 Dec 2007, 23:45 (Ref:2083253)   #3
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Parking was £8 when I went up to the NEC last week...
Old 7 Dec 2007, 10:38 (Ref:2083485)   #4
surrealillusion
Racer

United Kingdom
Next to my shadow
surrealillusion should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they brought the price down then it'll be worth going to.

But like garcon says, £28, plus parking, plus the extortionate petrol prices..all for walking around for a couple of hours, with all the racing drivers and cars held back behind barriors beyond reach. The F1 display's the past 2 or 3 of years have been dissapointing to say the least.

Very little chance i'll be going again till the show improves and the prices come down.

Surreal Illusions Motorsport Photography
Old 7 Dec 2007, 18:39 (Ref:2083834)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I suppose it is arguably worth £28 if you never go to any real motorsport...
Old 7 Dec 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2083844)   #6
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the show. Been every years since 1997.

Best way to start the motorsport season.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 19:10 (Ref:2083851)   #7
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There's something sad about seeing static racing cars, no engines sounds, speed etc...........

That's why motoring museums have never appealed to me.

Is the live action arena extra?
Old 7 Dec 2007, 19:15 (Ref:2083854)   #8
silver bullet
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
silver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsilver bullet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I suppose it depends what you go to the show for. If it is just to look at the cars, and you only stay for a couple of hours then £28 is a bit steep.
If, on the other hand you go for a specific reason, ie. to purchase something, or for advice, or to do a bit of networking. Then £28 can be good value for money.
Old 7 Dec 2007, 20:58 (Ref:2083933)   #9
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
I wasnt looking for peoples acceptance!

I can get far nearer to the cars at shows like this than anywhere else and to study them in detail looking at the engineering behind them.

Yeah, i remeber when i paid 17 quid just to get in. Then they started only doing a combined ticket, but yet there are still desks you can buy tickets to the arena!
Old 7 Dec 2007, 22:11 (Ref:2083976)   #10
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire

Acceptance wasn't my point either!

I've been the last few years, will probably give it a miss this year. Good point on getting closer to (some of) the cars.

On the ticket/price, as far as I can work out, it's a single £28 ticket (£18.50 concessionary) that gives you access to Autosport International, the Pistonheads show and the Live Action Arena. Plus £8 to park.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 11:59 (Ref:2084255)   #11
Gaz
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northwich, UK
Gaz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been the last 7-8 years but am determined to give it a miss this year - whether I'll be able to keep to my word when the day comes around is a different matter!

Its just same old, same old - same people, same displays, same action in the arena - a temptation to go would be if they managed to get some different F1 stars down there. Every year we see Coulthard and I'm sure Webber's been there a few times before. It's good that they support the show but wouldn't it freshen things up and imagine the ticket sales if Lewis or Felipe or someone different turned out.

I do agree with the comments about if your say a club driver who's after some networking and discounted parts for the new season then this would definately be worth attending.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 17:41 (Ref:2084435)   #12
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Gaz is right, went this year and will go in Jan but tend to go every other year / every few years or so.
Old 8 Dec 2007, 18:43 (Ref:2084464)   #13
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Is the live action arena extra?
No, the LIVE Action Arena is included in the ticket price.
Old 9 Dec 2007, 08:50 (Ref:2084728)   #14
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sorry,

Well for me F1 isnt that big an attraction, its interesting to see the drivers and people involved in it but i've been put off F1. But its a chance to look into the a whole variety of different types that race. I try and keep my eye on most major racing during the year but there's a lot i have no idea about.

Yes it is effectively the same every year, and one thing i've enjoyed is the interviews on the Autosport stage but even they seem to be getting fewer and fewer.

After the last few months when theres nothing to do, i just find it helps kick start things for the new season being that i'm sad and am not really interested in other sports!
Old 12 Dec 2007, 09:12 (Ref:2087074)   #15
Kieran20
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Kieran20 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, i will be going becuase of the super 1 karting presentation and also because i get two free tickets

i think the show is great. you dont just go to have a look, there are many stores there which can make your while just getting some racing goodies, but there is also alot of things there to look at, lots of poeple to talk to, and quite a few activitties including the live action arena which is quite fun to watch.

its a day out thing, if your going just to spend a few hours looking i really cant see the point

Last edited by Kieran20; 12 Dec 2007 at 09:15.
Old 16 Dec 2007, 13:53 (Ref:2089932)   #16
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to go! any plans for a tenths meet up?
Old 16 Dec 2007, 16:01 (Ref:2089970)   #17
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hopefully I am going Thrusday, but that is not confirmed yet.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 11:43 (Ref:2090449)   #18
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
If I go it'll be on the Thursday or Friday - weekends are unbearable far too many people to be able to see anything, talk to anyone or even move about without bouncing off people.
Old 17 Dec 2007, 12:42 (Ref:2090481)   #19
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I certainly wouldn't bother going on the public days, it's all faded "Our Nige" T-shirts (Mansell, not Roebuck ) and you can't get near anything interesting.

If you can get a trade day ticket (which isn't desperately hard) at least there's some room to see what's there and you might get some decent photos.

I've been about four times and it doesn't change much year-on-year - might go back in a few years' time but I don't regard it as a must-see. I'd sooner use the money to go to a proper race meeting.

I suppose if F1 particularly floats your boat it might be worth going but the halls I've had most fun in were the ones dedicated to short-oval stuff a few years ago - some real engineering there and a big eye-opener as to what goes on in that part of the sport.
Old 18 Dec 2007, 00:16 (Ref:2090968)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Am hope fully going to be working on one of teh stands at the NEC for the weekend, will be the short oval section, just a sahem we are FORCED to be out of the way!

The area we get is in the middle of nowhere and damn shame as Pete says the engineering is amazing from teh drag cars and stuff, and people are genuine, they dont want to sell you anything, just tell you about their sport!!

Is damned hard work, but great when you can let people know about something they didnt know about before and promise to go along!
Old 18 Dec 2007, 22:42 (Ref:2091614)   #21
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
I have to go! any plans for a tenths meet up?
If there is and I have time I'd be up for a meet.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 07:12 (Ref:2091751)   #22
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I'm going on the Thuesday, all the way from Canada

* well, technically I am seeing my folks for two weeks, but between me and you, its the highlight of the trip - you try living without any live motorsport around you for 3 years!
Old 19 Dec 2007, 08:21 (Ref:2091783)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I will be there on the Thursday, looking forward to it.
Old 19 Dec 2007, 15:47 (Ref:2091987)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Sorry guys, I hadn't really spotted this thread. I'm gonna move it to the trackside forum where it really should have been.

Cheers
Old 19 Dec 2007, 16:28 (Ref:2092017)   #25
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have to go... probably for all four days!

I can take it or leave it really, been for the past 3 years, and while it's good to catch up with people, and good for business if you are involved in the industry in some way, it does get a bit same old. I've not massively looking forward to walking around the NEC for four days, but nevermind.

If there is a meetup and I've got time between jobs I'm up for it.