Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:21 (Ref:697407)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barrichello's Crash

It was a nasty one wasn't it, and a strange one too. I'll be intrigued to hear what the cause was.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:26 (Ref:697415)   #2
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After carefully analizing your photographic evidence, my unavoidable conclusion is that it was caused by one of his wheels falling off.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:27 (Ref:697417)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Whatever the case, Rubens was a lucky chap to walk away from that in one piece. That's two big accidents this weekend concerning mechanical failure...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:30 (Ref:697424)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Suspension failiure ,in the interview afterwards he said that when he started to brake the wheel just broke off
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:31 (Ref:697425)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Quote:
Originally posted by oily oaf
After carefully analizing your photographic evidence, my unavoidable conclusion is that it was caused by one of his wheels falling off.
Haha very funny . What I meant was, what caused the wheel/suspension to give up in the first place.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:31 (Ref:697428)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting to note that at this point he is ahead of Montoya so it was not all doom and gloom for ferrari had Rubens not crashed.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:33 (Ref:697433)   #7
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
But you can always be sure that if a Ferrari is going to fail, it'll be Rubens'.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:34 (Ref:697436)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by oily oaf
I concur.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 15:40 (Ref:697442)   #9
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They had a few big offs in testing with this car because of something breaking after braking :confused: .

Since this stuff was kept under wraps at the time, could this be a repeat of the problem but this time caught in wonderful technicolor on the world stage?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:35 (Ref:697497)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seriously scary. Glad he walked away. The tethers worked to a point.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 16:45 (Ref:697503)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes its good to see he was ok. Crashes like that remind us of how dangerous the sport is. It also shows how safe the cars have become. Firman is another example.

That a nice picture too.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:26 (Ref:697540)   #12
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Didn't this sort of Suspension failure happen in pre-season testing? More than once at that.

It seems to me that under certain circumstances, the suspension on the back of the Ferrari is still liable to give up. I think Badoer, Barrichello and Shummy had accidents caused by this.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:29 (Ref:697542)   #13
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm guessing that it was the top part that broke also. But that's only because i can see one peice of lower wishbone still attached to the flailing wheel. I could be wrong (more than likely) of course, but if it is the top that gave way, could it be the same thing that happened at Monaco to michael a few years ago, ie the exhaust melted through it.

EDIT, it's not still attached, it's the long thin bit right below the remains on the drive shaft.

Last edited by pirenzo; 24 Aug 2003 at 17:31.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:43 (Ref:697555)   #14
BMW V10
Rookie

BMW V10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you see the wheel go flying over the wall? I was worried about it hitting somebody. You guys remember Graham Beveridge? That was really sad...

I heard he was a really good guy too
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:49 (Ref:697563)   #15
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
or Paulo Ghim-something at Monza in '00
Old 24 Aug 2003, 17:49 (Ref:697564)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Rubens had finsihed third, ahead of Montoya, it would've been bad for Ferrari in teh drivers' table,a s while Montoya would've lost a point, so would Michael. And Kimi, with the same total, would only be one point behind Michaela dn level with Montoya.

Nasty crash though,a dn for the second time in 3 races, ITV missed a big drama thanks to an ad break. At elast he wasn't hurt.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:10 (Ref:697572)   #17
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ghislimberti, pirenzo.

I saw a picture of the remains of the Ferrari and there were no remains of the driveshaft at all. There were broken suspension parts but where the driveshaft should have been, well, there was nothing. Just commenting, I still have no idea what caused it.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:11 (Ref:697576)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Transmission was also said to be a possible cause, as on the downshift perhaps the driveshaft sheared off.

With that though, I would've thought the suspension would have held the wheel on.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:40 (Ref:697604)   #19
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its weird how such a large piece of the car /suspension is still attactched to the wheel as it came off.

Normally iuf something broke like that the wheel would remain attatched but be bent a bit, this one came straight off with a big chunk of suspension.....weird!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 18:47 (Ref:697609)   #20
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Transmission was also said to be a possible cause, as on the downshift perhaps the driveshaft sheared off.

With that though, I would've thought the suspension would have held the wheel on.
I also suspect that it was caused by a catastrophic transmission failure under downshift, and that pieces of the transmission tore the suspension apart - or damaged it to the point of compromising its mechanical integrity.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 19:05 (Ref:697622)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably right Muzza.

Still hard to believe how instaneous it was.

Strangely Mark Blundell had said on Saturday some of the photographers said they were not going near turn 1 due to the short run off - they "forgot" to make it longer when the lengthened the circuit!!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 19:12 (Ref:697633)   #22
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also anyone else notive in Rubens interview that a photographer had shown him a photo of what happenned, what kind souls they are!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 20:58 (Ref:697688)   #23
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paulzinho
Also anyone else notive in Rubens interview that a photographer had shown him a photo of what happenned, what kind souls they are!
The magic of Digital camera's....natch!

The run off at turn 1 did concern me....they seemed to have extended turn one only through the old turn 1's gravel trap.....just a little bit of Tarmac and then a barrier.....not good!

I hope they get this fixed in the next 3 weeks......when you touch the brakes at Monza you're travelling considerably faster than you are at the Hungaroring.....dread to think what might happen then!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:02 (Ref:697691)   #24
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
BIIIIIG CRASH! Boom!

I take it Monza still has gravel? I kinda hope it does, hopefully the cars wont reach the barriers there.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 21:26 (Ref:697715)   #25
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW V10
Did you see the wheel go flying over the wall? I was worried about it hitting somebody. You guys remember Graham Beveridge? That was really sad...

I heard he was a really good guy too
Would it make a difference to any of us if he wasn't?