Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Aug 2000, 02:55 (Ref:32249)   #1
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Recent specualation has it that Newey is crossing over to Ferarri. The contract is reportedly $36 million over three years, which is substantially more than his current four million a year at McLaren. And despite his strong relations with McLaren personnel, insiders believe this offer may be too tempting to refuse.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 03:31 (Ref:32253)   #2
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH MY GOD!!! Its the end of the world. Michael Schumacher and Adrian Newey on one team, there has got to be some type of natural law against that much talent on one team. If we think that two-team domination is bad, then imagine one car winning every race. How the heck can Ferrari afford Newey and Shuey (hey cool it rhymes!) on one team, with that kind of money. It's obvious that Ferrari really want that championship.

But then again this is just a rumor, a very believable one though. Where did you get this info?
Old 23 Aug 2000, 03:53 (Ref:32258)   #3
Handle
Rookie

Handle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If that is true, that's absolutely frightening. If I'm not mistaken, the dominant man in F1 is not Hakkinen. It's not Schumacher. It's not Villeneuve (though he will be again soon, hopefully ). It is Adrian Newey. He was with Williams when they were dominant and he is with McLaren now. If he moves to Ferrari, then I would not be surprised to finally see a Ferrari driver win the championship.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 04:05 (Ref:32261)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to Ten-Tenths Handle.

This is scary. Let's hope Schumi retires after winning a WC for Ferrari.

Does this mean that we will be seeing McLaren fall back down the grid again?
Old 23 Aug 2000, 04:08 (Ref:32262)   #5
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ooh a new member, I like new members...especailly when they agree with me! Welcome to the Forum.

And your right, he has designed 6 out of the last ten driver and constructers winning cars. And even when his cars haven't won they have almost won.

Old 23 Aug 2000, 04:28 (Ref:32265)   #6
Handle
Rookie

Thanks for the welcome. I've been reading for awhile, just haven't posted yet.

Yeah, if that's true, we can say bye to McLaren mastery and hello to Ferrari fortitude. I've always wondered why the bidding for Newey's services wasn't as big news or as high profile as the bidding for drivers. I don't mean to slight any of these new up-and-comers, but to me, the team that Adrian Newey is on will have more of an impact on the sport than where Jenson Button or Juan Pablo Montoya is driving (I'm not saying they aren't good drivers, I'm just saying I think Adrian Newey is more important to a team).

In my opinion, the team that has Newey is instantly competitive. Forget multimillion dollar headquarters, state-of-the-art wind tunnels, great sponsors, etc. Just get that man on your team.

A great driver in a so-so car will yield a poor performance (Schumacher's first year in Ferrari). A good driver in a great car will yield a respectable performance (Coulthard 99, Irvine 99, etc.) If I'm not mistaken, the priority should really be on getting a good designer. Unlike getting a good driver, it makes your team an automatic contender.

And I don't think $12 million / year (if it's true) is excessive. In fact, I think it would be well worth the money.

You can probably tell I think very highly of Adrian Newey.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 05:24 (Ref:32267)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
No Surprise

This was first discussed in Autosport several weeks ago when Newey was reported as saying that he would not dismiss the idea of going to Ferrari. However, as rumours go, we will just have to wait and see. I am more surprised that Toyota or Honda, or even Renault have not tied him up already. These are commercial moguls who could certainly do with the publicity and fame which goes with a winning GP car, and that sort of money to them is chicken feed. Still, the Ferrari chassis, on results so far, is supposed to be equal to the McLaren - that is unless you believe what I have been saying all along that McLaren have been sandbagging. The only way we can tell how good the cars and respective drivers really are is if both Mika nad DC went to drive for Ferrari, and TGF went to McLaren with Elmer Fudd. And that is about as likely to happen as Minardi winning a GP this year (sorry MF, I couldn't resist that).
And finally, a big welcome to Handle. I am sure you will enjoy the friendly atmosphere here. After awhile, you will even not miss the insults and abuse that several other well know BB's are famous for.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 06:38 (Ref:32273)   #8
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FIA....

"The FIA have let known their fears about the Schuey+Newey dream team by announcing a two-race ban for both of 'em!!!"....hehehe...er..hmmm....Hi Handle!

This rumour is "too hard to Handle"!!!!!
Old 23 Aug 2000, 07:42 (Ref:32285)   #9
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Life is good!

Why is (almost) everybody surprised? I remember that Newey's dream is to design a Ferrari for Michael Schumacher and to win all races in a season!

You seem to forget that everyone involved in F1 dreams to work/drive for Ferrari, not only money. Of course, do not count Coulthard who turns down every offer he receives from Maranello as long as Schumacher will be there. And I'm glad that everybody is as happy as me knowing that Schumi said (2-4 weeks ago) that he will retire driving a Ferrari, will stay with Scuderia as a consultant after that, and he cannot see a pertinent reason why he shouldn't drive until he's 40!

As for the money for Schumi's salary, one explanation (rumor) is that this was a decisive reason for Ferrari/Petronas deal. And of course they want those championships. Ask Gabriele Rumi and he will tell exactly the same.

Anyway, I heard that Newey is under contract at McLaren until the end of 2001. I can hardly wait. Rory is about to retire (rumor), after 2001 if not 2000 so Ferrari will need a new designer anyway. Last year Mike Gascoigne was rumored as his successor. Strange, he moved to Renault... (what a conspirator I am!)

PS: Indeed, from 1992 up to these days, the champions were Adrian Newey (1992, 1993, 1996-2000) and Michael Schumacher (1994-1995).

PPS: Last year I read a story with the headline: "Newey at Ferrari!" Well, it was true, but not the way you expected. He was driving a Bentley (not sure about that one, I know he owns a vintage Jaguar but these are not mutual exclusive) in Mille Miglia, and he broke the fuel pump a couple of yards away from Ferrari factory. The red boys were kind enough to fix his car while he was given a factory tour. Apparently Ron Dennis was not very comfortable (remember Mika's F360 Modena?)
Old 23 Aug 2000, 08:05 (Ref:32288)   #10
Cameron
Rookie

Cameron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it doesn't happen, however, every cloud has a silver lining.

If he went after a year he would probably have been so sickened by Ferrri politics that he would quit F1. If that happened it might give the others in F1 a chance!!!!!!
Old 23 Aug 2000, 08:21 (Ref:32290)   #11
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would certainly shake things up a bit, the only hope for F1 remaining competetive would be for Ferrari politics to get in the way.

It would also be interesting to see if Ross Brawn would stay to work with Newey. I'd think he might be tempted to move elsewhere in that situation. It would then be interesting to see if Ferrari then kept its current sharpness in race strategy.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 09:30 (Ref:32294)   #12
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to agree with Handle on this one (welcome Handle), I'm surprised teams spend so much on drivers, when it is the engineers who make the difference. Adrian Newey almost guarantees success because of his understanding of current racing car design, and specifically aerodynamics. Of course if the FIA wanted to avoid a Newey-Shuey walkover they could possibly try and find a way of minimising the effects of aerodynamics on the cars (I know I keep going back to this point, but it is THE over-riding problem with F1).
Old 23 Aug 2000, 10:15 (Ref:32295)   #13
Devlin
Racer

Devlin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be afraid, be very much afraid!!! Booooo-hahahahaha!!!
Old 23 Aug 2000, 10:38 (Ref:32301)   #14
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Oh gawd... If this doesn't kill F1 in the boredom stakes nothing will...

Old 23 Aug 2000, 10:40 (Ref:32302)   #15
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talk about using a sledgehammer to crack a nut...

Quote:
I'm surprised teams spend so much on drivers, when it is the engineers who make the difference.
You're right, angst, Ferrari do indeed spend a fortune on drivers, with Schumacher topping the list at $20million / year. So $12million / year to guarantee the best car on the grid would be 'small potatoes'.

But one other thing concerns me. Every team that MS has driven for has seen a turn around of competitiveness. Witness Benetton's rise and fall, and Ferrari's capabilities before his arrival. You could argue that he is the one that dictates the design of the car, as it evolves every year. The Ferrari has become very competitive (and reliable - although this is down to Todt).
Will Newey be able to design a winning car, within the constraints of the particular driving style that MS displays?

...Oh, and "Hi!" to Handle!!
Old 23 Aug 2000, 15:35 (Ref:32351)   #16
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red
PS: Indeed, from 1992 up to these days, the champions were Adrian Newey (1992, 1993, 1996-2000) and Michael Schumacher (1994-1995).

Indeed, you're forgetting that in 1997 Adrian Newey was NOT working at Williams Renault....So credit is due to Williams Renault and Villeneuve, and also to HHF for the Constructor WC.

And "maybe" you must remember that Benetton Renault was not only Schumacher, as is not Ferrari now, and that McLaren Mercedes is not only Newey. Or are you assuming that putting Newey or Schumacher in a Minardi (sorry, MF)they should win a Championship?

Finally, most of you seem to think that TGF is the best driver. I totally disagree, for me both Villeneuve and Hakkinen are better than him.

Regarding the Newey-Ferrari affair, I don't think that Todt and Brawn will stay if he arrives. And SO TGF will also leave. And maybe Ferrari will win, after all :-)

Old 23 Aug 2000, 16:14 (Ref:32352)   #17
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Of course I don't want to take credit from Jacques and Frenzy. Also from Mansell or Prost. It was just an observation. My apologies for '97. I didn't forget, I thought he still worked for Williams. Actually I still do. Are you sure about that? If my memory serves me right, all '97 year was about Newey's-leaving-no-he's-not.

Why do you think that Brawn and Todt will leave if Newey arrives?

And yes, if Minardi can afford Schumi and Newey they will be champions.
Old 23 Aug 2000, 21:45 (Ref:32401)   #18
Handle
Rookie

I thought Newey was still at Williams in '97 too. I remember after that season they were talking about Williams' new designer (I believe it was Malcolm Oastler, or perhaps I'm thinking of something else) so I presume Newey was still there the year before.

But even if he was gone, it's not like they totally remake every car every year. Newey's foundation would have been good enough to carry Williams the following year, if not for the decline of the Renault engine. In addition, there were radical rule changes (narrower cars, those dang tires) so the car did indeed have to be redesigned the following year.

Schumacher (btw, I don't understand why in other threads he is referred to as TGF, which I take to stand for "That German Fellow"... is it because it's quicker to type?) has seemed to turn around his teams, but it is a slow process, and given the budget of Ferrari, I don't know if he deserves all the credit for the improving car. Newey on the other hand seems to make champions, and he makes them quick.

Personally, I really wish he'd go to BAR next year. Honda Engine + Newey Chassis = Unbeatable!!! Plus, I'd really like to see Villeneuve in a competitive car soon. I'm a huge Villeneuve fan (I anticipate arguments with Liz in the near future) and I personally believe that at an equal footing (ie. same team, no team orders) that he would beat any other driver in F1 currently, including Schumacher. He is one of those people that performs when he needs to... a true racer who will win when it counts and who can complete the job. People talk about how great it is for any rookie to even score points in F1, and we keep hearing about how great Montoya is going to be, but let's not forget that Villeneuve would have won his very first GP if not for an oil problem which forced him to cut his pace and let Damon Hill by. Sure it was in the dominant car, but to be challenging your skilled and well-established teammate so quickly is a testament to his extraordinary skills.
Old 24 Aug 2000, 00:02 (Ref:32418)   #19
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Red

And yes, if Minardi can afford Schumi and Newey they will be champions.
Not with the pile of **** they have in the back of the car at the moment they won't.

Old 24 Aug 2000, 00:55 (Ref:32429)   #20
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh....heheheheheheheheheeeeee....yesssssss!!

*dances away grinning like a cat*
Old 24 Aug 2000, 01:58 (Ref:32432)   #21
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Think about it, MF

If Minardi could afford TGF and Bewey, they would have a works Renault engine in the back, and they would probably win 75% of the races in 2001. Correct mon ami??
Old 24 Aug 2000, 02:13 (Ref:32436)   #22
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Oh my god!!! My worst nightmare is comming true!! An Adrian Newey designed car driven by Schu.....WHO COULD BEAT THEM!?!?!?

And I thought that I was finaly going to get a good night sleep.....
Old 24 Aug 2000, 05:33 (Ref:32459)   #23
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Schumacher (btw, I don't understand why in other threads he is referred to as TGF, which I take to stand for "That German Fellow"... is it because it's quicker to type?)"
...Try "MS" its Quicker!!

"and I personally believe that at an equal footing (ie. same team, no team orders) that he would beat any other driver in F1 currently, including Schumacher."
...once in a way YES!

He is one of those people that performs when he needs to... a true racer who will win when it counts and who can complete the job. People talk about how great it is for any rookie to even score points in F1, and we keep hearing about how great Montoya is going to be, but let's not forget that Villeneuve would have won his very first GP if not for an oil problem which forced him to cut his pace and let Damon Hill by. Sure it was in the dominant car, but to be challenging your skilled and well-established teammate so quickly is a testament to his extraordinary skills.
....Very True!!!!
Old 24 Aug 2000, 11:53 (Ref:32497)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

I don't know how TGF first got his monika, but I had to as who this fellow was when I joined this forum, and Liz told me. Quite frankly, I prefer TGF Silvester than MS, but that's me. The rest of your post totally confused me. You sound like Murray when you said that MS can beat Schumacher once - I think Murray said that Schumacher is followed by Schumacher in a race, and he was referring to TGF and not Ralf. And how did Jacques come into this?
Old 24 Aug 2000, 14:55 (Ref:32526)   #25
Run Free
Racer

Run Free should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FOR BOTH RED AND HANDLE: yes, I'm TOTALLY sure, A. Newey left the Williams team at the end of the 1996 season. In 1997 he had a sort of "sabbatical". So the '97 FW (don't remember the name, maybe FW19) was an half-Newey-designed one, and, most of all, all the season development was made by others - and so were the team's strategies.

By the way, Handle, I totally agree with you about Jacques.

And, Red, in the last couple of years, even in 1996 at Williams, Adrian Newey was not only the designer of the car; and at McLaren he has one of the leading role in the team on the race weekends. So I think that he should want the same at Ferrari and that is not compatible with Brawn and Tod's roles.