Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 4 Mar 2007, 17:01 (Ref:1858026)   #1
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
S2000 diesel regs question

I've just been looking through the S2000 regs (yeah I know, but it's Sunday afternoon and I'm bored....) and I noticed something that strikes me as odd. The diesel regs specify a higher minimum weight than petrol - anywhere between 45 and 70kg heavier depending on configuration. I'd always assumed that the diesel engined cars would be a bit down on power compared to petrol, so can anyone here shed any light on the reasoning behind this?

All the other differences between the 2 sets of regs make sense to me, but I can't figure this one out
Old 4 Mar 2007, 18:04 (Ref:1858060)   #2
Captain VXR
Racer

European Union
Bath
Captain VXR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Diesels have better torque
Old 4 Mar 2007, 23:04 (Ref:1858512)   #3
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain VXR
Diesels have better torque
I know, although I hadn't appreciated quite how much more until I read some figures earlier, but I didn't really think it was enough to justify the weight penalty. An extra 200-odd Nm makes it make a lot more sense though, that lost 30bhp isn't looking so much now.

Though if the benefit is that big, it makes me wonder why more teams haven't tried it before.

Last edited by gregc; 4 Mar 2007 at 23:07.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 07:25 (Ref:1858656)   #4
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Less fuel is required for a race, meaning less weight?
Old 5 Mar 2007, 10:39 (Ref:1858792)   #5
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know how S2000-cars perform on fuel economy, but for a 50km race you don't need 45-70kg of fuel more than a diesel car.
Still, I think it's quite fair to let diesel-cars run somewhat heavier. This is because Touringcars are, and should be, based on road-cars. And the same car is heavier when fitted whith a tubo-dieselengine than it would be with a normally aspirated petrol fuelled car. That's why it's also a good thing that BMW's are a bit heavier, since their rearwheeldrivesystem must be compensated for in weight. I'm also in favor of the return of 4-wheeldrive, when the road-car is also available whith 4-wheeldrive, and whith sufficient weight added.
BTW, chances are that I have misspelled weight. Did i write it correctly, or is the correct spelling different. It was very annoying writing a reply, not being sure how to spell the wordt I had to use quite often :-(
Old 5 Mar 2007, 15:26 (Ref:1858991)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc
The diesel regs specify a higher minimum weight than petrol - anywhere between 45 and 70kg heavier depending on configuration. I'd always assumed that the diesel engined cars would be a bit down on power compared to petrol, so can anyone here shed any light on the reasoning behind this?
To discourage manufacturers to enter boring sounding diesel cars?
Old 5 Mar 2007, 17:13 (Ref:1859037)   #7
THIM
Racer

Poland
THIM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by werner
BMW's are a bit heavier, since their rearwheeldrivesystem must be compensated for in weight. I'm also in favor of the return of 4-wheeldrive, when the road-car is also available whith 4-wheeldrive, and whith sufficient weight added.
BTW, chances are that I have misspelled weight.
BMWs aren't heavier, because they prefer to have 5-speed manual gearbox than 6-speed sequential and extra kgs. 4-wheel drive would be nice to see in WTCC races, but I think, that 280 bhp is too few to make it efficient, when weight (you spell it correctly ) is higher.
Old 5 Mar 2007, 18:02 (Ref:1859061)   #8
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
To discourage manufacturers to enter boring sounding diesel cars?
Well, they don't have to sound boring - I saw a video of the Peugeot 908 a while back, and I quite liked the noise it made. What the 120d (which is what got me interested in this issue) will sound like remains to be seen - well, heard