Old 20 Jul 2003, 17:59 (Ref:666420)   #1
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf or Juan ?

From F1Racing.net
'If we are getting close to the championship, we'll have to ask Juan Pablo [Montoya] to help. But I really don't think it'll be an issue this year.'

Williams knows that Montoya, the feisty Colombian racer, isn't happy about the present level of team-dominance enjoyed by Ralf Schumacher. 'He's not happy but I don't think it will last,' he said. 'Juan is the kind of guy we want in our car. He'll be okay. He'll bounce back.'

Agree !
Montoya will be ahead at the end.

7/20/2003 -> Ralf 53 - Juan Pablo 55
Old 20 Jul 2003, 18:12 (Ref:666426)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think tit could be in doubt as to which Williams driver finsihes ahead right untilt he end of the season. The recent races have been very even in performance snd results, but throughout the season Ralf has been luckier int erms of getting results from poor drives (Malaysia and Austrlia especially) while Montoya was unlucky in Austria and perhaps stifled in Nurburgring and France. That could amek teh difference, as it's only been since Monaco that Ralf has been on the pace.

Silverstone will ahve been a pyschological boost for Montoya. He fought throught he field impressively, more so than Michael, and picked up another podium. By msot measures he has acheived mroe this season, and may be able to continue that.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 18:46 (Ref:666436)   #3
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf had got the hang of the new qualifying format. And i won't really say that Ralf is luckier to get results than Montoya. He was doing well at Monaco until the tires or something got screwed, and at Silverstone was doing pretty well too until he had to slow and pit due to a problem.

Ralf is the more consistent and smooth one at this moment, though JPM is quicker, and more exciting and racy. In fact, if i'm Frank..i won't want 2 JPMs in my car, neither 2 Ralfs... 1 JPM + 1 Ralf, 2 guys with 2 approaches to F1 success, would be the best pairing any manager could wish for.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 18:52 (Ref:666442)   #4
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RS is very fast and if he is given room to race. He is as fast as anyone, including Montoya. JPM is more of a fighter. I think the two are actually a good pair. In the tough races you can count on JPM because he has the never say die attitude. In a good race RS is consistent if he has a good lead. If Ferrari comes back on form (BS) then I would go for JPM. He does better when it comes to fighting.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 19:09 (Ref:666454)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Williams haven't suffered a mechanical failure since Austria, where JPM was leading when his engine blew. No one was gonna touch Rafe at Nurburgring, he was brilliant that day, but JPM very easily could have won at France had his pit stops not all been longer than Rafes. Although i'm 100% positive that JPM is the better and faster driver, Rafe has impressed me in the last couple of races. (although his performance today wasn't that brilliant).

Alot of people say that a driver has to make the most of what he's given and Rafe has been able to do that in every race (except today), but in the last 5 races alone, JPM has scored 40 points to Rafes 33, and dispite not finishing in 2 races, JPM still leads Rafe in points scored

Last edited by Mr V; 20 Jul 2003 at 19:10.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 20:05 (Ref:666477)   #6
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll second that .

We always know though, that when it comes to an out and out battle on track JPM will always come out on top.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 20:23 (Ref:666489)   #7
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They're kina like Senna and Prost were at Mclaren in 88/89.

Only not quite as good!
Old 20 Jul 2003, 20:39 (Ref:666506)   #8
garagegirl
Racer

garagegirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well im gonna back ralf, though it was a tough one to call between the two of them.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:03 (Ref:666530)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Rafe has impressed me in the last couple of races. (although his performance today wasn't that brilliant).
Why not?

I haven't seen the race yet, but judging on what I saw on the live timing (formula1.com), he was doing fine until his car broke down just after having overtaken Barrichello. Right after that, he was quickly overtaken by Rubens, Juan Pablo, and 1 or 2 other drivers before he managed to reach the pits.
So it looks to me as if he was bound to finish 1st or 2nd today ...
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:10 (Ref:666617)   #10
beau
Racer

beau should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
going by the last couple of races i go for ralf
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:13 (Ref:666621)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf overtook Barrichello??? When did that happen?
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:41 (Ref:666652)   #12
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Err, Ralf came out ahead of Barrichello after almost everybody went into the pits when the Safety Car came out after that nutter had entered the track. Ralf overtook a couple of drivers out on the track today, but AFAIK he didn't overtake Rubens on the track, he overtook him in the pits!

As for Ralf or Juan: It'll be Juan ahead at the end of the season, IMO, probably by a margin of 10-20 points.

Last edited by R; 20 Jul 2003 at 22:42.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:44 (Ref:666655)   #13
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Just watching the highlights and Ralf definitely overtook Rubens in the pits, he pulled a couple of on track moves when he was recovering from his unscheduled stop if I remember correctly.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:50 (Ref:666668)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah a Jordan and he caught Button sleeping, yee haa . He couldn't hold it with the big boys at all.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 00:18 (Ref:666726)   #15
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The smart money goes on Juan Pablo. I don't see Ralf continuing his good form throughout the year.

I think a lot of the last few races had to do with two things:

a. Response to negative press
b. It's CONTRACT TIME!!!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 02:12 (Ref:666751)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Gt_R
Ralf is the more consistent and smooth one at this moment, though JPM is quicker, and more exciting and racy. In fact, if i'm Frank..i won't want 2 JPMs in my car, neither 2 Ralfs... 1 JPM + 1 Ralf, 2 guys with 2 approaches to F1 success, would be the best pairing any manager could wish for.
Agree

Both have strengths and shortcomings, and they complement each other well. I dont think either is the best driver out there, but as a team, I think they are the strongest combination.

For points, I'm going with Ralf. For entertainment, JPM all the way.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 02:52 (Ref:666762)   #17
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
For points, I'm going with Ralf. For entertainment, JPM all the way.
At this point Juan Pablo is doing good on both departments
Old 21 Jul 2003, 04:26 (Ref:666779)   #18
Ralf
Racer

Ralf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Another comparison

Well JPM was the man today. Great drive.
Ralf was cool until he had to pit early which ruined his race (thanks DC!) & his last stint was disappointing for some reason. I thought he could of at least got some points.

As for choosing between Ralf & JPM..... why not both? :confused:
Old 21 Jul 2003, 08:53 (Ref:666881)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Speed
At this point Juan Pablo is doing good on both departments
Very true speed, but thats changes on a week by week basis. I should have said on points, its too close to call. If I lean either way, its marginally in Ralfs favour (just).

It will most likely be decided by reliablity in the last race or 2, similar to last year.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 11:28 (Ref:666976)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna v. Prost = JPM v. Ralf? Not in my universe!

Which one of Senna and Prost was afraid to pass his brother?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:15 (Ref:667324)   #21
zetta
Racer

zetta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With a clear track ahead of him, Ralf is unbeatable. But put him in a position where he has to cut through the field, and he cannot do it. Montoya is much more of a fighter, and he will get results where Ralf can't. I think if Williams does not dominate completely and has to face stiff competition fron Ferrari and McLaren in the next races, Montoya will have the upper hand. If Williams demolishes the field and Ralf manages to sit on pole, he will have the upper hand. This is getting more and more interesting.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:43 (Ref:667360)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He is very good, but I don't think he is unbeatable in that situation.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:47 (Ref:667372)   #23
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
That's true. Ralf may rely more on a good quali lap, or some favourable incidents in the first few laps of the race, but if he turns up in the top 3 by lap 10, chances are he'll be there at the end.

Montoya's more likely to scrap for points if he finds himself down the order - he seems to have improved a great deal in fighting for the extra point or two after he knows he can't win the race - last season he lost interest if he couldn't win it.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 16:54 (Ref:667383)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf reminds me Damon Hill, if he starts in the front line and get the lead, with a superb car, he's unbeatable, he wins the race.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 18:46 (Ref:667513)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

Which one of Senna and Prost was afraid to pass his brother?
Er. Which one of them actually had a brother that raced?

But agreed, they don't come across as either of the two greats mentioned.