Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Oct 2002, 10:14 (Ref:411052)   #1
Daffy_Duck
Rookie

Daffy_Duck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remove James ALLAN - Improvement to F1's popularity

So no prizes for guessing what this thread is about.

JA has seriously affected our enjoyment of F1 coverage by screaming all the way through every race, often quite inappropriately.

Take the starts for instance. I can't hear the engines, Martin Brundle gets drowned out, and as the cars get away we hear a maniac shouting "GGOOOOOOOO WHHWOOOOOOOOAAA WHOOOAAAAAA"

And at the end of the races, pick the most dull, processional race where you know exactly what the finishing order will be and he pipes up another 50dB and starts shouting again.

Plus the usual outbursts during the race.

Has he got Tourette's?

Frequently, Martin Brundle sounds a little perturbed, even embarrased by the torrent of keich coming from JA. All the while, he mops up the mistakes/misconceptions with his (much calmer) delivery.

Martin Brundle has the ability to make the sport interesting and exciting WITHOUT the need for SHOUTING HIS ******* HEAD OFF ALL THE TIME!!

Maybe we should request that the pit lane engineers fit a CAPS-LOCK key to the back of James's head. I am sure Marting Brundle would at least enjoy a volume control mounted on the bugger's temple.

Sound engineers at ITV-F1, could you please do something about the imbalance. Turn his mike down a bit. Dip it in some custard. Anything!
Old 23 Oct 2002, 10:57 (Ref:411080)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, maybe he got the idea that shouting adds to the excitement(?) since some American commentators are quite loud, ....................................................

Ooops...

ASCII man, this is a family forum... go wash your mouth please !

Last edited by Bononi; 23 Oct 2002 at 14:45.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 10:59 (Ref:411081)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like him well enough. He doesn't shout as much or make as many silly mistakes as Murray used to. He makes an effort to find elements within the more boring races to chew on. And he's not a big-head like Martin Brundle.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 11:00 (Ref:411083)   #4
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Blasphemy! Thou doubt the master of all commentators?!
*points finger @ Glen*
For shaaaaaammmmmeeeee!

Last edited by ASCII Man; 23 Oct 2002 at 11:02.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 11:20 (Ref:411097)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you on drugs ?

Another problem with James Allen is he's a big fan of that German - and he's getting to sound more and more like Murray
Old 23 Oct 2002, 11:21 (Ref:411099)   #6
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
He doesn't shout as much or make as many silly mistakes as Murray used to.
Murray was getting bad the last couple of years,you could feel Martin`s frustation with him at times.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 11:59 (Ref:411141)   #7
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oi, leave James alone, he is a doing a decent job
Old 23 Oct 2002, 12:03 (Ref:411144)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by josvandeperre
Are you on drugs ?

Another problem with James Allen is he's a big fan of that German - and he's getting to sound more and more like Murray

Some people try to be humorous, only to have narrowminded people stating that those persons must be drug abusers...

To me, there is nothing more insulting than being accused of using drugs, makes me want to hurt that person really bad...

I hadn't hear from Murray in quite some time now, since Imola 1994 to be precise...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 23 Oct 2002 at 12:09.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 12:10 (Ref:411151)   #9
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't think he is all that good, but then again it doesn't really bother since Murray is gone.

Ben Edwards does the BTCC for ITV, maybe he could move over from Sky?

At least towards the end of the year James stopped with the 'Ready...Ready...Ready' and 'It's coming...It's coming' when the red lights were on for the start.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 12:10 (Ref:411152)   #10
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with Daffy (welcome to the forum, by the way) - James has_got_to_go. I even prefer listening to the American commentators on Speed rather than Allen. He stinks...
Old 23 Oct 2002, 12:12 (Ref:411154)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

I prefer sniffing the hair of a very nasty smelling cat than listening to our belgian commentators again, so don't think you guys have it so bad...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 23 Oct 2002 at 12:13.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 12:14 (Ref:411157)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ®îjñtjûh
To me, there is nothing more insulting than being accused of using drugs, makes me want to hurt that person really bad...
Calm down man - have some drugs.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 12:15 (Ref:411159)   #13
ASCII Man
Veteran

Whatever...

Last edited by ASCII Man; 23 Oct 2002 at 12:17.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:15 (Ref:411235)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Glen
And he's not a big-head like Martin Brundle.
I'm not on drugs , and as this is a discussion forum :confused: so, if I may I would like to discuss this point. Well, draw on someone else's opinion anyway. There is a whole page on Martin in Nigel Roebuck's internet Q&A column. And because I had just read this discussion thread I thought I'd post it.
Quote:
from Ask Nigel
Brundle has always been one of my favourite people in the paddock. For one thing, he is wonderful company, and has a great sense of humour; for another, he has the ability to be self-deprecating, and can laugh at himself, a trait by no means universal among racing drivers; for a third, he genuinely loves the sport for its own sake - just look, for example, at the amount of (unpaid) time and work he has put into the BRDC, and into Silverstone.
To read the rest of this go to
http://www.autosport.com/featuresasknigelitem.asp?

Last edited by Adam43; 23 Oct 2002 at 13:17.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:28 (Ref:411256)   #15
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think James is doin' a good job.
Leave the guy alone, he is just doin' what he gets paid for.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 14:06 (Ref:411286)   #16
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Adam Ashmore on this - you have to believe Martin is a cool cooky from his apparent relationship with Bernie -he gets to touch him and take the mickey - leaving aside his commentary and the BRDC thing
Old 23 Oct 2002, 14:35 (Ref:411301)   #17
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by J.McClane
I think James is doin' a good job.
Leave the guy alone, he is just doin' what he gets paid for.
Oh and i think he brings a little exitement to an otherwise dull sport...................well at least he tries to
Old 23 Oct 2002, 16:17 (Ref:411360)   #18
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For me James Allen on ITV is a massive selling point for sky. He is absolutly terrible!! If you try and watch the ITV coverage after watching sky it feels like their patronising you. While ITV explain what a pit stop is, Ben Edwards and Wattie come out with truly inspired insights into the race.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 16:25 (Ref:411368)   #19
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Allen unfortunately wont be going anywhere unless ofcourse the BBC once again gets the rights to F1 and toss him out.

Ive always thought Brundle and Ben Edwards would make a great team...Allen is firstly very biased, rarely makes sense and is very irritating.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 16:45 (Ref:411382)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just like Murrey in his last couple of years.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 16:47 (Ref:411383)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

Was he that bad in his last years??
Old 23 Oct 2002, 16:48 (Ref:411385)   #22
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I listened to his commentary on the Japanese Grand Prix and thought he was a lot better compared to when he first started standing in for Murray. He now seems to have found a balance between talking about strategy, the British drivers and telling us how great TGF is, along with letting Martin get a word in edgeways.

Who could ITV have to replace him though? - Not Ben, we've got him on F1D+ you ITV guys can't have him!
Old 23 Oct 2002, 17:29 (Ref:411415)   #23
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
James Allen does a good job.

Get off his back!!!!!
Old 23 Oct 2002, 17:43 (Ref:411435)   #24
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The problem for anybody following such a great as Murray is that they will suffer from so many punters saying he's not as good as the last bloke.

Ok, Murray tended to make mistakes (and I think he always did - he was no worse in his later years), but Martin - and James Hunt before him - were excellent at quietly correcting the error and letting motormouth storm ahead...

James Allen isn't as good because he simply hasn't got the charisma Murray had. But I don't think he's that bad, and I do think he's learning the job and improving as he goes.

If ITV ever lose Martin Brundle though, they may aswell pack up - he's the key, the glue that keeps it together, and his knowledge and unique relationships pitside are irreplaceable.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 18:58 (Ref:411501)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the passion that James Allen shows for Motor Racing ...but sometimes his style can be a bit annoying , especially the starts ..ARE YOU READY ...ARE YOU READY .......GOOOO !.....it can be a bit annoying .

but it is good to see someone have passion for the sport , and i thought his remarks at the finish line in Austria showed that .