Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 23 Nov 2011, 08:00 (Ref:2990316)   #1
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Martin Brundle Returns to Le Mans

Folks, just had this PR release in from Nissan........................apologies if it breaks forum rules to post, but I felt that it would be of interest to the members

Martin Brundle joins son for 24 Hours of Le Mans drive

Martin and Alex to drive Nissan-powered Greaves Motorsport Zytek

Ex-Formula One driver, Martin Brundle, will join his son Alex at the wheel of the Nissan-powered Greaves Motorsport LMP2 prototype at next year's 24 Hours of Le Mans (June 16-17).

The deal sees Brundle senior reunited with Nissan, after the Englishman spearheaded its official works effort at the world's oldest and most celebrated endurance race in 1997 with the R390 GT1.

For 2012, the father and son combination will pilot the race-winning Greaves Motorsport Zytek Z11SN-Nissan sports prototype. Not only did the car take the LMP2 class win at this year's 24 Hours of Le Mans* on its way to finishing eighth overall, but victories at Le Castellet, Imola and Silverstone also saw the Nissan-engined LMP2 car capture both the 2011 Le Mans Series drivers' and team titles.

After enjoying a successful Formula One career that spanned 13 years (1984-96), Martin Brundle has remained in the sport as a highly-regarded and multi award-winning commentator on British television.

Joining him in the driver's line-up for the 80th running of the race will be his 21-year old son Alex.
As the leading British driver in this year's Formula Two Championship, he will join Greaves Motorsport in 2012 to race the Nissan-powered prototype as the team defends its Le Mans Series crown.

The Brundles will follow in the footsteps of a small number of father-son combinations to have competed at the illustrious race together, including Mario Andretti, with son Michael, and Nigel Mansell with sons Leo and Greg.

Martin Brundle, 52, said: "I'm very much looking forward to returning to the Le Mans 24 Hour race with Nissan and the Greaves Motorsport LMP2 team. This is an unexpected pleasure, heightened by the fact I will be team-mates with my son. I'm eagerly anticipating a very special feeling when handing the car over to Alex during one of the world's greatest motor races. Class victory in front of the fanatical Le Mans spectators is the goal."

Alex Brundle, 21, added: "I loved driving the Le Mans circuit at this year's official test day and a chance to compete in the full Le Mans Series, as well as the Le Mans 24 Hours, along with my single-seater activities in 2012 is brilliant for my career. At Le Mans, my father has been on pole position, led many times and been part of the winning team; this can fast-track my learning process. My thanks go to Nissan and Greaves Motorsport for creating this important opportunity, which I will seize and maximise."

Simon Sproule, Corporate Vice President, Global Marketing Communications, Nissan, said: "I'm delighted that Nissan will once again be part of one of motorsport's most famous races, this time with a fascinating father-son pairing. We will again seek to provide a reliable and powerful engine for Martin and Alex and for Greaves Motorsport to follow up on the success we've enjoyed in 2011. Martin has won at every level of endurance racing, while Alex's strong testing performances at Paul Ricard and Le Mans reflect his natural talent and the experience he already holds at 21."
Old 23 Nov 2011, 08:06 (Ref:2990318)   #2
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
Competitive car, should be interesting to watch.

Any word on the 3rd driver?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 13:15 (Ref:2990434)   #3
boyracer019
Rookie

boyracer019 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
Any word on the 3rd driver?

Mark Blundell??!!??
Old 23 Nov 2011, 14:00 (Ref:2990455)   #4
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There's a lot more about the general background to the story here: http://www.motorsport.com/lemans/new...sport-in-2012/

It's pretty cool when the driver whose family has been funding the project decides to stand down. but the family maintain their funding.

The two other drivers in this year's winning car car were Tom Kimber-Smith and Olivier Lombard, so it must be a fair bet that one or both will stay.

Personally I'd like to see someone like the prodigious Stuart Moseley given a shot. This year he won both the Radical UK Cup and and the Radical Masters for the second time. This year it was with Mark Smithson, whom he'd trained up from scratch and in 2009 it was with Derek Johnston who he had brought along in the same way. He's raced in the LMP2 class at Le Mans before and he always brings the car home in one piece. In fact I think once it may have have been in a Radical SR9 for Jacob Greaves, whose family were heavily involved in Radical at the time, but it's since been taken over by a German.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 17:16 (Ref:2990528)   #5
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Is it interesting that the press release came from Nissan and not Greaves of the Brundles themselves?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 18:13 (Ref:2990543)   #6
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Great to see Brundle back again , and especially with his son Alex ..... excellant news indeed .

In one way , after being announced by Nissan , Im a bit surprised the Brundles wont be with Signatech ..... but happy for Greaves .
Old 24 Nov 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2990789)   #7
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
In one way , after being announced by Nissan , Im a bit surprised the Brundles wont be with Signatech ..... but happy for Greaves .
I'm delighted to see them with Greaves. The team are proven and the Zytek/Nissan package is proven. My pre-season prediction is that a Greaves entered car will top the LMP2 podium at Le Mans again next year.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 10:18 (Ref:2990797)   #8
Steptoe
Racer

England
10618 miles from Le Mans - NSW Australia
Steptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteptoe should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyracer019 View Post
Mark Blundell??!!??
That would give Trussers & Hindy a headache on commetary
Old 24 Nov 2011, 15:42 (Ref:2990878)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03 View Post
I'm delighted to see them with Greaves. The team are proven and the Zytek/Nissan package is proven. My pre-season prediction is that a Greaves entered car will top the LMP2 podium at Le Mans again next year.
Hope so too . Not sure if its a new or developed chassis ? Be something to see a Father/Son combo winning , especially Brundle , who I always liked .

Last edited by The Badger; 24 Nov 2011 at 15:49.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 15:57 (Ref:2990885)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think it will be Blundell, because Brundle has pulled out of 2MB, the management company they used to run together.

Sorry to harp on about him, but Stuart Moseley's your man. One of the nicest people you'll meet in motor racing as well as all the rest. He knows the Brundles already because they had a couple of Radical races earlier in the year.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2990913)   #11
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
I don't think it will be Blundell, because Brundle has pulled out of 2MB, the management company they used to run together.
They are still friends, though & raced together at Daytona for United. That said, I'd expect Greaves to keep TK-S unless someone brings some money along.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 17:11 (Ref:2990914)   #12
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
They are still friends, though & raced together at Daytona for United. That said, I'd expect Greaves to keep TK-S unless someone brings some money along.
Greaves will have two cars at Le Mans next year, they're honoring both their automatic invitations. So there's no doubt TK-S will be kept.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 18:43 (Ref:2990948)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Great news, I'm delighted to see Martin back at Le Mans
Old 17 Dec 2011, 01:12 (Ref:3001069)   #14
The Badger
Veteran

Well , rumour has it the driver line up qill be as follows : Brundle-Blundell-Brundle !!!

Whatcha make of that then . RLM will have fun in the wee hours with that .

Hope they do well . 2 lads from the best of the Group C days , and son .
Old 17 Dec 2011, 14:09 (Ref:3001213)   #15
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Samoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSamoan Attorney should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Well , rumour has it the driver line up qill be as follows : Brundle-Blundell-Brundle !!!

Whatcha make of that then . RLM will have fun in the wee hours with that .

Hope they do well . 2 lads from the best of the Group C days , and son .
Where do these rumours come from?
Old 17 Dec 2011, 14:59 (Ref:3001234)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

They were in the ELMS thread .
Old 17 Dec 2011, 15:18 (Ref:3001236)   #17
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Ah, I see where it has come from............thanks
Old 18 Dec 2011, 18:50 (Ref:3001614)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I get the impression you don't think much of the rumour SA.........
Old 18 Dec 2011, 19:13 (Ref:3001626)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
It won't be TK-S although he will still be part of the team. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/96763

In other news, Martin said today on Twitter "Great work out with @AlexBrundle. Determined to be sharpest 53 yr old on Le Mans grid in 2012. Very excited about Greaves Nissan LMP2 drive."
Old 21 Dec 2011, 07:54 (Ref:3002546)   #20
Samoan Attorney
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
I get the impression you don't think much of the rumour SA.........
Kind of perceptive are'nt you? But if it is on the Motors TV website it must be true
Old 21 Dec 2011, 20:28 (Ref:3002883)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yep, you gotta believe all you read, you know!