Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 20 May 2011, 01:27 (Ref:2882908)   #1
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
International V8 Supercars Overseas Events - What the drivers want

Interesting Read from SpeedTV

You can also vote in a poll or there too

Quote:
Lee Holdsworth, Team Fujitsu: Laguna Seca, USA I think it’s a track that would suit our car and I think the Yanks would absolutely love the V8 Supercars. We’re basically NASCAR going around circuit tracks. I’ve always loved that circuit and loved how undulating it is and how challenging it is. I’ve never had a chance to race there myself, but I think it would be great to race a V8 Supercar. The other one for me would be Spa but the thing that gets me for Laguna Seca is the crowds would just love it. Hopefully soon we get over to America to race as I think the Americans are going to absolutely love it. I think we should have endurance over there and the requirement would be have an American driver in there. I think it would be great.

Michael Caruso, Team Fujitsu: San Marino, Italy/Laguna Seca USA
I enjoy going over to America. I’ve been over there a few times and I’ve raced go-karts there. I just think it would be great to broaden our fans and obviously it has a big NASCAR market, it would be good to actually take some good close racing on a circuit over there where it’s a little bit different to their oval stuff. But I’d love to go to San Marino, Italy. It’s where Ayton Senna died. The tracks pretty awesome, it’s really undulating, it’s got some fast corners and slow stuff. But it would be good to get into Formula One territory and I wouldn’t mind going overseas and have a holiday while I’m over there!

Craig Lowndes, TeamVodafone: Spa Francorchamps, Belgium
I raced there back in 1997 and it’s an unbelievable track. To go down through Eau Rouge in a supercar would be quite special.

Jamie Whincup, Team Vodafone: Daytona, USA
I’ll go a little outside the square and say Daytona. I reckon it would be awesome, a high-speed oval. Most of us apart - from a couple - wouldn’t know what we’re doing so it would be great. I’ve never driven a car around an oval. There would be heaps of slipstreaming; I think it would be great fun.

James Courtney, Holden Racing Team: Macau, China
It’s like Bathurst on steroids! It makes Bathurst look like a little playground. It’s like an old-school street race.

Mark Winterbottom, Ford Performance Racing: Laguna Seca, USA
It’s just an iconic track. I’d love to take our car through the corkscrew and actually have a bit of a crack there. I reckon that would be pretty awesome. I reckon it would suit our cars alright with the long-corners too.

Steve Johnson, Jim Beam Racing- Nurburgring, Germany
Just because the style of circuit it is. It’s a bit like Bathurst in a way where it’s a public road, people can go there when they’re not racing there and just the character of it with the banked corners and the fast corners over crests and few lengths of it. It would be a massive challenge for any driver and would be a lot of fun in our cars. I don’t think the racing would be close there, because it’s such a big lap. But I think it would be just an amazing place to drive around at speed in our cars there.

Karl Reindler, Fair Dinkum Sheds Racing – Macau, China
It’s the most crazy street circuit in the world. Everyone rates Bathurst as the greatest circuit in Australia which I agree with, but Macau is so unique. Being in Asia as well, its nice and close to Australia as well, so I’d love to go there. It has many similarities (to Bathurst), you go up the side of the mountain, down the side of a mountain, you go around a big water reservoir and the straight itself, it’s almost a mile long. It’s got a bit of everything. It’s picturesque and it’s very challenging. As a driver we love a challenge.

Alex Davison, IRWIN Racing: Road America, USA
There’s some great tracks over in America. It would be cool to go over to the States, purely from a track point of view. Racing at somewhere like Spa would be good too. It’s really fast, flowing and undulating. I just think we’ve got such a good product, it doesn’t matter if we’re in Europe or America, people are going to be impressed and exciting by having us there. It would be awesome to go to the States, their tracks over there they’re all old school sort of tracks. They haven’t been ‘Formula Oneised’ like everything in Europe. They still have character and are not so safe. Like all the Formula One tracks, you got to try to pretty hard to hit a fence in one of those tracks, not that that’s a bad thing, but they’ve still got plenty of character which makes them pretty special. I have no idea what (V8 Supercars) are looking at, but it would be cool if it happened.

Shane van Gisbergen, SP Tools Racing: Taupo, New Zealand
Probably my favourite track (in New Zealand), it’s an awesome location. Doing another race there would be pretty cool I reckon. Taupo is a bit far away from (Hamilton), it would be a good spread for the people who can’t get to Hamilton. It would be definitely be pretty cool and definitely there’s a lot of room for another event over there. It’s kind of like Eastern Creek, there’s a lot of open, flowing corners.

Warren Luff, Gulf Western Oil Racing: Nurburgring, Germany/Macau, China
It’s the best track in the world, so why not take the best category in the world there? I think our cars would be well suited for them and I think the Germans would go crazy for our cars. We’d be very well received. The V8 Supercars as a support for the 24 hour race would be great. There’d be over 200,000 people there and its one of the biggest races in the world, you don’t get a much bigger stage than that! Macau I’ve raced at and that would be nuts as well. It’s kind of the Monaco Grand Prix of Asia. It’s a long track and the only circuit in the world I know has a permanent yellow zone, the Melco hairpin is so tight you can’t get two cars in side-by-side. That would be a cool place.

Garth Tander, Holden Racing Team: Nurburgring, Germany/Spa Francorchamps, Belgium
They’re the ultimate as far as drivers tracks go. Probably wouldn’t be as good if you were a spectator because it’s around 28km long or something like that. If you asked any driver they’re just two of the world’s greatest circuit. Just getting your head around those tracks would be a real challenge.
Realistically from a sport and commercial point of view, something like Brands Hatch or Silverstone in the UK would be great for our sport. For our brand to put on a show over there. I went to a World Touring Car Championship race at Brands Hatch a few years ago and to be honest with you – I don’t get bored at motor races too often – but I was bored out of my brain. No atmosphere and nothing really to excite anyone. The cars weren’t that exciting to watch. If our show rolled into town, I think they’d be pretty impressed with it all.

Fabian Coulthard, Bundaberg Racing: Spa Francorchamps, Belgium
For me, I guess what’s good for a drive is tracks that have elevation. People always say Bathurst is their favourite track, but why do they say Bathurst? It’s because it’s got up and down, elevation, its fast. (Spa) is totally different to Bathurst, but it’s got similar characteristics with the change of elevation, it’s fast and slowing in places. But it’s also got the technical elevation too. As a driver that’s what’s enjoyable. We go to some tracks that are flat and boring. Those tracks seem to be good for the fans though as you can see the whole track. But you go to some of the more prestigious tracks – like Bathurst - it makes it hard for the fans to be able to see the track itself. It’s a catch-22 either way, do you make it exciting for the drivers? Or do you do it for people that follow sport? It’s a tough one.

Jason Bright, Team BOC: Nurburging, Germany
I like the elevation changes and all the different types of tracks. (Germans) love their motorsport. They have pretty unique cars and they’re into all sorts of categories over there. They love their DTM, they love their Formula One and they’re very open minded where as some other countries are focussed on one category. I’d love to go over there and show them the best touring car category in the world! We might not be as quick as (DTM cars) but in terms of entertainment, we’d definitely hold our own.

Rick Kelly, Jack Daniels Racing: Laguna Seca, USA
I haven’t basically done any racing outside this country, so I would really love to do a couple of races in the European and US markets. Laguna Seca looks like it’d be an awesome track. If you could drive anywhere in the world, the European and American markets in the big names circuits like Nurburgring, LeMans etc. If you could make happen, that would be great!

Todd Kelly, Jack Daniels Racing: Talladega, USA
I would like to go to Talladega, because Ricky Bobby (Will Ferrell’s character in the film Talladega Nights) raced there! It goes around in circles, that would be different! It’s not really suited (to V8 Supercars), but it would be a pretty big challenge to try and get the car around an oval like that. The tallest diff’ ratio we have at the moment hits the rev-limiter in top gear at about 300km/h. So we’d need to get taller gears. In aero, with the banking you could probably pull a bit of wing off, depending on the track length. (Oval racing) is not something I’d want to do for a career, given how interesting our category is and how diverse the tracks are that we go to, but it’s certainly something that I wouldn’t mind having a go at.

Dave Reynolds, Stratco Racing: Imola, Italy/Spa Francorchamps, Belgium
I would love to race at Imola. It was awesome on the PlayStation! That’s the only reason. Or maybe Spa because I’ve heard that’s a really good track. From all reports, people say Spa is the best.

Greg Murphy, Pepsi Max Crew: Laguna Seca, USA
For a few reasons, I reckon Laguna Seca. I’ve never raced there but I’ve been there quite a few times and it’s just an awesome race track. It’s an extremely well-known track in the United States, it’s really popular. It has the best categories in the world racing there and it’s just synonymous with fantastic car racing. The location is sensational n the amazing part of the far West of the United States. For our cars and what we’re trying to achieve, taking our cars there would just be a massive thing for our sport. America would love it and get right behind it. We’d be really popular over there.

Will Davison, Ford Performance Racing: Laguna Seca, USA
Laguna Seca would be great, I love the undulation of the track and going to America would be fantastic.
Very interesting read, I have to agree that I'd love to see the V8's at Laguna Seca.... unlike some of the more modern tracks (ie. Yas Marina) it's a track that I could see producing some really tight, competitive racing.

I know Nurburgring is a popular choice from some people but I suspect a 28 car V8SC field wouldn't be that great on there, we just don't have enough cars for it
Old 20 May 2011, 01:31 (Ref:2882909)   #2
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dammit just saw that report, and you beat me to it by one minute

would love to see them run at Laguna Seca, interesting none of them mentioned Infineon though.

So where else could they run? No point in nominating Euro tracks as they aren't allowed in. How about a USA double header, maybe USA/Canada? Laguna Seca and Daytona road course? Watkins Glen long course? Montreal maybe? Mexico? Is Kyalami still active? a Sth African swing after Abu Dhabi? Also think a Sth Island NZ track would be a good inclusion, but not up to speed on those...

Macau would be good also. But please, no NEW street courses
Old 20 May 2011, 07:49 (Ref:2882967)   #3
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting post, I love the V8SC and personally think it's one of the best race series going at present. The US seems the obvious place for them to go and Laguna Seca would fit perfectly.

One driver states all the circuits in Europe have been F1ised, in other words ruined, which is true to an extent in mainland Europe. With the exception of Silverstone none of the circuits in the UK have been modified for F1 and even Silverstone is one of the least molested of all the F1 circuits and still retains a lot of character. Spa has been mucked about with but despite not being what it was it's still pretty awesome. Monza is the other one that has not been vastly altered. The Portimao circuit in Portugal despite being a new facility is an excellent track. From the little I know of Brno in the Czech Republic this is pretty good as well. Nurburgring is something else but cannot see them racing there. Sachsonring (may have spelt that wrong) in Germany's not bad either.

Naturally I'd love to see them in the UK, as for me Brands Hatch GP circuit is one of the worlds best. Not surprised Garth Tander was bored at a WTCC race though! Oulton Park would be pretty awesome as would Donington and then of course we have the newly altered Snetterton, which I haven't seen yet but seems to be meeting with approval. That's all pie in the sky though! I think the US is the far more likely destination and quite rightly.
Old 20 May 2011, 08:21 (Ref:2882981)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why not Monaco?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 20 May 2011, 08:29 (Ref:2882984)   #5
The Spy
Rookie

The Spy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like Whincup idea, send them to Daytona or Texas, sort the men out from the boys, and then just for fun give them 500 lapper at Bristol, also add a couple of wildcards, Ambrose and Meidicke.

Also before they get too carried away, what about Mallala, Wakefield Park, Eastern Creek, AIR, Calder and Morgan Park, there is the 6 extra rounds for the Australian V8 Supercars. Not the overseas stuff or even an extra round in NZ.

Last edited by The Spy; 20 May 2011 at 08:37.
Old 20 May 2011, 09:31 (Ref:2883015)   #6
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i'm with Jamie on this one. or even better at Indy, maybe even the old F1 track
Old 20 May 2011, 09:48 (Ref:2883023)   #7
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spy View Post
Also before they get too carried away, what about Mallala, Wakefield Park, Eastern Creek, AIR, Calder and Morgan Park, there is the 6 extra rounds for the Australian V8 Supercars. Not the overseas stuff or even an extra round in NZ.
Lol Mallala can barely host the fujitsu series, and AIR isn't even suitable for a street meet, let alone a national championship.
Old 20 May 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2883025)   #8
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTHY View Post
Lol Mallala can barely host the fujitsu series, and AIR isn't even suitable for a street meet, let alone a national championship.
agreed, think we can add most of the other tracks he mentioned to this list also
Old 20 May 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2883035)   #9
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nordschleife
Old 20 May 2011, 10:55 (Ref:2883039)   #10
michael_a_l
Rookie

michael_a_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone else find it a little amussing that Jamie Whincup said Daytona....When he clearly is the best in the business atm and it has been suggested he should give Nascar a go
Old 22 May 2011, 10:27 (Ref:2883833)   #11
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why aren't the V8's allowed in Europe?
Old 22 May 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2884024)   #12
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reality is that V8$A is going to want serious $$$ to race overseas. And with the Oz $ being so high this would make it even more expensive. Can't see any European or US promoter bankrolling it and you wouldn't get a zack out of government seeing most countries are in austerity mode.

More likely would be an Asian country, Singapore has been often mentioned, although has gone quiet recently. Asian governments tend to be quite shrewd and don't go all weak at the knees at the thought of losing a motor racing event like our state governments, they have called Bernie's bluff over the years.
Old 22 May 2011, 19:45 (Ref:2884063)   #13
JC Ohope
Racer

New Zealand
Wellington
JC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJC Ohope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Why aren't the V8's allowed in Europe?
The agreement with FIA stated that the V8supercars cannot race anywhere west of Turkey: Speedcafe Article

Quote:
The International V8 Supercars Championship will not compete in Europe in the near future.

As part of its new FIA ‘international’ status, V8 Supercars has agreed not to send the world’s leading touring car series anywhere west of Turkey.

Instead of considering offers from European tracks, Executive Chairman Tony Cochrane says that he wants to see the series race add another race to its opening event trek to the Middle Eastern.

Speedcafe understands that Qatar’s Losail circuit, or India’s new Formula One facility at the Jaypee Group Circuit are the leading contenders for a second event.

It is also expected that Singapore will join the series in the future, possibly as early as 2012.

Cochrane says that while there are plans to expand to more overseas races, Europe is out of the equation.

“Under the FIA ruling, we’ve agreed not to go anywhere west of longitude 30, which basically is Turkey,” he told Speedcafe.com.au.

“There’s more than enough motorsport in Europe. It doesn’t need any more motorsport. There’s big chunks of the world where motorsport is developing and we want to play a huge say in how that develops and be a really important part of those emerging markets.”

Cochrane confirmed that two events in the Middle East, or a region close by, is on the cards.

“If we’re going to come this far (to Abu Dhabi), it would be good to twin it with somewhere,” Cochrane said.

“We don’t have to do it, but it just seems a smart way of going. I hope by May we can make an announcement.

“I’m not going to get into the favourites game on which track we could go to. There’s a number of people that we are talking to. Certainly Qatar has a magnificent circuit, floodlit, really spectacular venue and a good fit for our category.

“There’s no question that Qatar is up there is our favourities, but we are speaking to other people in this region, and we’re looking in Asia as well.”
Old 22 May 2011, 19:57 (Ref:2884071)   #14
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Road Atlanta for me. Great track.
Old 23 May 2011, 03:05 (Ref:2884194)   #15
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Algarve, but the deal with the devil stop's them going that far.

I wouldn't mind seeing them at Long Beach or Infineon.
Instead of the oval at Daytona on the road course. Maybe something was lost in Jamies translation to Speed TV.
Old 23 May 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2884280)   #16
Malfunction Junction
Racer

Malfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMalfunction Junction should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Ohope View Post
The agreement with FIA stated that the V8supercars cannot race anywhere west of Turkey: Speedcafe Article

Y'know, I think the Istanbul track might be a good challenge for the V8s. It might also be the kind of thing that gets the Turks to a race track too.....
Old 23 May 2011, 12:10 (Ref:2884416)   #17
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reading the Speed Cafe Article, the Middle East looks very likely. If I'm being honest, I'm a bit disapointed. Wonderful facilities but awful tracks, Abu Dubai just about gets away with for me but the other circuits no. Looks like their chasing the $$'s. I would expect China to appear as such an emerging market.

Singapore could work and Macau would be fantastic. Excuse my geographical ignorance here, but is a trip to Japan realistic or is it way to far? If so Suzuka would be an obvious candidate.
Old 23 May 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2884454)   #18
anthony81901
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
anthony81901 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 5 year deal to race at China's Shanghai International Circuit was signed, but after only 1 appearance in 2005 before the deal was cancelled for undisclosed reasons.

Japan is a fair bit closer to Australia than the Middle East and only a few hours from Singapore.
Old 23 May 2011, 17:13 (Ref:2884596)   #19
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I recall under the agreement, I think V8SC was also "banned" from North and South America. But I could be wrong, thought I remember seeing that though and being disappointed.
Old 23 May 2011, 23:39 (Ref:2884832)   #20
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
If I recall under the agreement, I think V8SC was also "banned" from North and South America. But I could be wrong, thought I remember seeing that though and being disappointed.
it was a verbal quote rather than read in a document, stating they couldn't go west of a certain line of longitude, which happened to run through Turkey, but believe the reference was with respect to Europe, not the America's - I'm sure the FIA think the America's are even further east than Asia, rather than west across the pond. Not sure about Africa though...
Old 23 May 2011, 23:59 (Ref:2884844)   #21
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I understand FIA wanting the V8s not to mess the cluttered North American and European motorsport markets. But why ban them from Latin America? Mexicans (Nascar), Brazilians (Stock Car, Formula Truck) and Argentines (Turismo Carretera, TC2000, Top Race) would love to have a joint race with the Australian V8s. Everyone would love Potrero de los Funes.

Excluding Europe and North America, the best "international" tracks are obviously Macau and Suzuka. If they want to try some ovals, I'm not suggesting them to go to Rafaela (terrible place), but that track layout would suit them a lot - 4.6km long, very flat, long straights and not so open corners.
Old 24 May 2011, 02:51 (Ref:2884894)   #22
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
what does the FIA care about in Nth America?
Old 17 Aug 2011, 22:44 (Ref:2942313)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not only are V8SA going to Texas in 2013, the Phillipines are also likely on the calendar Here

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Aug 2011, 20:25 (Ref:2942685)   #24
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TC should get the Filipino Sports Commission to pay him in bananas, have you seen the price of those things lately ?