Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Dec 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2361418)   #1
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Robert Kubica - Is he really driver of the year?

Robert Kubica has topped a number of Driver of the Year polls for 2008, which I feel is a little unfair on Lewis Hamilton & Felipe Massa.

First of all, I agree that Robert had a fantastic season, and has established himself as a potential WDC, but does he really warrant his new-found No.1 status?

Let's look at the three main reasons he's been handed the awards.

1) He thrashed Heidfeld (Impressive, but can Heidfeld really be considered a top-drawer scalp?)

2) He scored BMW's first victory in Canada (Very well-driven, but it owed a lot to luck)

3) He made no mistakes (True, and again very impressive, but unlike his rivals (Massa & Hamilton) he was always the underdog and never under any real pressure)

In short, I think Kubica has truly arrived as a top-line driver, but I reckon we should postpone his deification for a little while yet.

What are your thoughts?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 10:00 (Ref:2361420)   #2
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more, really. But he did make mistakes, he chucked it off at Silverstone for instance.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2361424)   #3
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
it's all about what you think 'driver of the year' means; IMO the teams and others mean 'the driver who got the most out of the least'.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2361427)   #4
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid
it's all about what you think 'driver of the year' means; IMO the teams and others mean 'the driver who got the most out of the least'.
For me, it isn't that simple. It's easier to do well when there's no pressure.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2361429)   #5
Jeff 8
Racer

Australia
Sydney, Australia
Jeff 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
For me, it isn't that simple. It's easier to do well when there's no pressure.
But it's even easier when you are in a top team and have lots of money thrown at you.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2361448)   #6
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's clearly good but driver of the year? I'm not sure he was that much better than a number of candidates, any of which could justifiably claim that title - Hamilton, Massa, Vettel, Alonso in the second half of the season for example.

If the top cars are resonably equally competitive, we're potentially looking at a cracking few years ahead.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2361451)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
SH, what polls are you talking about, not here surely ?
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2361460)   #8
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kubica had a year of consistency. Time after time he was there just behind the leaders. Whether it was Hamilton leading with Massa throwing it off the road or vice versa, Kubica was always there.

I dont think hes topping DOTY polls for his outright performances, moreso because of the mistakes made by Hamilton and Massa clouding their championship runs.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 12:48 (Ref:2361462)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a way of Autosport getting into a discussion! Its that simple!!

Hardly new and original idea!!
Old 27 Dec 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2361477)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
No he didn't deserve driver of the year. He drove well and consistently but with little real sparkle.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2361524)   #11
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's either him or Vettel. You can't honestly suggest that either Massa or Hamilton drove well this year overall? Even before the pressure really started later in the year.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:54 (Ref:2361528)   #12
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I certainly wouldn't dispute the idea that he may have been the best this year.

But Hamilton put in more giant-killing performances. Massa did well but I'd put him behind those two.

Quote:
He made no mistakes
He spun into retirement at Silverstone.

As an aside, I like Kubica. There's no bull**** about him it appears.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2361529)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe
You can't honestly suggest that either Massa or Hamilton drove well this year overall?
I can.

Both made errors, but on the whole both drove wonderfully.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2361541)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Massa and Hamilton were better for sure. Robert was consistent if nothing else and he did beat Nick.
Old 27 Dec 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2361546)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
There's no bull**** about him it appears.
He does drive a BMW though!
Old 27 Dec 2008, 19:15 (Ref:2361586)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Non sense, Hamilton was the best driver all season with all merits.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 00:27 (Ref:2361673)   #17
wheadon
Racer

England
Carlisle/Newcastle
wheadon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what you have to remember is he was right up there till the end of the season in a car that wasn't being developed. That's good driving. Yeah he was brilliant this year
Old 28 Dec 2008, 01:35 (Ref:2361681)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
You could also say he had nothing to lose.

The acid test is when he is really in the mix, fighting at the sharp end. I am quite sure he will do well, but we still don't really know.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 02:33 (Ref:2361690)   #19
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with Bononi on this one.

No doubt Hamilton is the driver of the year...and always will be.

And BTW I love threads like this...I love the hero of Cervantes well known book. It's too many, but nevermind....let's fight with the windmills.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 04:03 (Ref:2361705)   #20
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
You could also say he had nothing to lose.

The acid test is when he is really in the mix, fighting at the sharp end. I am quite sure he will do well, but we still don't really know.
2009 would have been very interesting without the rule changes. Assuming that BMW would have been able to close the gap even further, up to the point of parity, he would have had equal material and would have been expected to perform from the get-go. Wonder how that would have looked.

Now though, I'm expecting wild performance differences between the cars to obfuscate driver's ability to a significant extent.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 13:02 (Ref:2361826)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I agree Satorian, and it is a great shame.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2361844)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I also thinkg it depends on the car they have each year doesnt it.

You could argue that after one good year at Williams BMW Ralf and JPM were world class!

Many drivers flatter to deceive, for me the only ones that ahve been quick everywhere they ahve been are Kimi, Alonso and Webber, perhaps Coulthard and Rubens.

It is one of the great tests of a world class rider or driver, to win in different cars.

Put Kubica in a Ferarri or McLaren and where do you think he would be with any of the current teamsters.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2361848)   #23
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
Put Kubica in a Ferarri or McLaren and where do you think he would be with any of the current teamsters.
I think he'd do a good job, but whether he'd do a better job than Hamilton, Massa or Raikkonen is almost impossible to say.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2361853)   #24
Devilsadvocate
Rookie

Devilsadvocate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its a testament to the current quality in F1 that there are five drivers (quarter of the grid!) who could have a reasonable claim to this award. Hamilton, Massa, Kubica, Alonso and Vettel were all terrific and any one would be fitting. Its a toss-up between Alonso and Hamilton for me, but really, any of those five would be worthy.

Its hard not to think either Fernando or Robert would have been champion in a top car (although given Kimi's tyre struggles, it may not have turned out that way, who knows). You could go for Alonso who rejuvenated an ailing team and in the second half of the year, scored more points than any other driver, at least four of whom had a better car. He made one or two mistakes (Monaco and Canada) but it was only through dragging an underperforming car to the brink of its perfromance threshold. Robert did a strong and consistent job in a good car. But to be honest he never really had me excited or thrilled. In many ways his season reminded me of Prost; plodding around collecting whatever points were available.

Overall I would give it to Lewis. His drive at Silverstone was breathe taking and despite making some silly errors, almost losing his way in the WDC fight, he still managed to do just what was required. Lewis, in two seasons, has brought back to F1 what it was missing; tension, excitement, and thrilling racing. Brazil has to be one of the best races and championship climaxes I have seen in the 25 years I have been following F1.
Old 28 Dec 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2361860)   #25
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsadvocate
Its a testament to the current quality in F1 that there are five drivers (quarter of the grid!) who could have a reasonable claim to this award. Hamilton, Massa, Kubica, Alonso and Vettel were all terrific and any one would be fitting. Its a toss-up between Alonso and Hamilton for me, but really, any of those five would be worthy.
Its unfortunate how few people are concentrating on this and would rather bicker over the apparent lunacy of either someone who didnt win the title being rated #1 or someone who at least consistently won races.