Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 30 Apr 2003, 16:28 (Ref:585262)   #1
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Octagon - the final solution?

I've heard this rumour from two independent sources, both well-connected within motor sport........

A well-known Northern businessman, with an interest in Historic racing, wants to buy Oulton Park. Having made a detailed study of the Octagon (Now Brands Hatch Circuits) operation, he has come up with the following plan:

He will buy the complete business & sell Snetterton & Cadwell as going concerns; Brands is of more value as housing land than as a circuit, so it will be sold to a property developer. This will leave him with the circuit he wants, Oulton Park, plus a large profit which he can invest in Oulton's future.

As I see it, this is a situation where everybody wins! Britain's best circuit gets a secure future in the hands of an enthusiastic owner, the dumplings & yellowbellies get to keep their circuits & the south-east geats a major contribution to alleviating its housing shortage!

Of course, now that Brands has been ruined by CART, nobody will object, will they?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:03 (Ref:585288)   #2
sss
Veteran

England
life is to short, dance naked
sss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what about dig oulton park up and move it nearer civilisation, say a plot of lane by the a20,m25,m20?
Old 30 Apr 2003, 17:58 (Ref:585364)   #3
Snapper Baz
Race Official
Veteran

England
Las Vegas, NV. USA
Snapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnapper Baz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone remember the idea of using Maidstone as a street circuit many, many years ago-now that would be good and with all those nightclubs in the middle of it...racing, beer, totty, McDonalds....things that make you go Mmmmm!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 18:00 (Ref:585366)   #4
sss
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
, totty, !
in maidstone are you sure,
Old 30 Apr 2003, 18:06 (Ref:585378)   #5
KayBee
Veteran

England
Royston Vasey
KayBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Snapper Baz
totty
Isn't he that Italian footballer? :confused: :confused:

Old 30 Apr 2003, 18:10 (Ref:585389)   #6
sss
Veteran

England
dont tell francesca, ive heard she has a thing for italians
Old 30 Apr 2003, 19:22 (Ref:585492)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by sss
what about dig oulton park up and move it nearer civilisation, say a plot of lane by the a20,m25,m20?
Hands of......it's ours!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 19:29 (Ref:585499)   #8
sss
Veteran

England
i still think lydden is better
Old 30 Apr 2003, 19:57 (Ref:585552)   #9
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DB - how can you joke about bull-dozing Brands Hatch?? Do you have any soul!? They could put 8 layers of 80 foot high fencing around it and the thought of losing it would still make me sick to the stomach!
Old 30 Apr 2003, 21:09 (Ref:585619)   #10
pixie
Racer

pixie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands Hatch and GreenBelt............hmmm the 2 go together so about as much chance of houses being built at Scratchers Lane as there is of a FULL days racing at Oulton Pk on a Sunday !!

Plan I heard was being discussed with Bernie (yup short bloke with money) (and syrup) was that the group would give him Sliverstone to run (ruin), like he has Paul Ricard, Snetterton get the houses, Cadwell has investment in new pits Paddock and can run 24 x 7 and Oulton has a few more lakes and is turned over to fish farming, cos their all a bit wet up North With the profits left over from the sale, BHL will be able to put up more fencing around Brands and concrete some more fields with a new Jos Fulston Centre on South Bank, so nobody parks there either....
Old 30 Apr 2003, 23:25 (Ref:585755)   #11
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Funny this topic should be in the news right now, as I'm researching an article for e-Tracks about plans for a rival circuit group to Brands Hatch Leisure which was hatched in the mid-1990s.

A company called INRECO wanted to build a new circuit at Forrestburn in Scotland and was looking at buying Mondello Park, Croft, Croix-en-Ternois in France plus building new circuits in Sweden and Italy. They also looked at a site in Skelmersdale, Lancs. and drew up plans for a circuit on land at Teesside International Airport near Darlington.

According to my sources they were serious (I have plans of Teesside and Forrestburn) but the only thing that came of it was a hillclimb course at Forrestburn. INRECO went into liquidation with the death of its managing director.

I wonder what would have happened if they were still around today?
Old 1 May 2003, 06:33 (Ref:585905)   #12
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sss
in maidstone are you sure,
I think MAIDSTONE did used to have its fair share of Totty ...i did when we used to go out clubbing there.

As for Brands....i think we all need to stop this talk of digging the place up ....its upsetting me !

Thank you .
Old 1 May 2003, 08:19 (Ref:585959)   #13
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sato san
[B]I think MAIDSTONE did used to have its fair share of Totty ...i did when we used to go out clubbing there.

The totty stopped frequenting the
streets of Maidstone when you left
Sato, it's obvious. LOL

As for Brands....i think we all need to stop this talk of digging the place up ....its upsetting me !

Why dig it up?
We could use it as a landfill.

Last edited by carrera; 1 May 2003 at 08:21.
Old 1 May 2003, 09:01 (Ref:585976)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Elio
DB - how can you joke about bull-dozing Brands Hatch?? Do you have any soul!?
Who says I'm joking?
Old 1 May 2003, 11:55 (Ref:586134)   #15
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
what about dig oulton park up and move it
But only about half of it would arrive - the sand would have all slipped through your fingers

Quote:
nearer civilisation
Quote:
say a plot of lane by the a20,m25,m20?
Surely those two statements are contradictory

Exit Flagman stage left at great speed....