Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 May 2006, 13:25 (Ref:1601735)   #1
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Phantom Red Flag

Could a team (Red Bull) who has just missed the cut in the first qualifying session due to the phantom red flag be able to appeal to the FIA Stewards against the decision of the timekeepers?
Old 6 May 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1601739)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They certainly should, the whole situation was a fiasco. If it turns out to have been caused by human error, somebody has some explaining to do if they wish to keep their job. The fairest solution would have been to allow anybody who had a reasonable case that they could've made the 2nd session into it - that certainly includes Klien and Albers.

Christian looked angry afterwards, and quite rightly so; he was unlucky to miss out in Imola, but at least that was down to something the team did wrong. This time, they followed the rules rather then continuing at full speed and incurring the risk of coming up to an incident at full speed, and lost out through it.
Old 6 May 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1601787)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst a team such as Red Bull could complain to the FIA over Klien's absence from 2nd qualifying, one would question the point of it given that I can't imagine that the FIA would place a driver higher up the grid than they qualified as any time applied to that driver would ultimately be subjective.

In my view, the only fair course of action would have been to have declared the first session void and allowed all 22 cars into the second session to establish the top 10 shoot out.
Old 6 May 2006, 15:09 (Ref:1601790)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or run the first session again!

*dream on*
Old 6 May 2006, 15:24 (Ref:1601799)   #5
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper
In my view, the only fair course of action would have been to have declared the first session void and allowed all 22 cars into the second session to establish the top 10 shoot out.
Isn't that what the DTM did last weekend when something happened and noone was able to qualify. They just scrapped session 1 and gave everyone a 2nd chance.
Old 6 May 2006, 15:40 (Ref:1601803)   #6
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lemme rephrase that...

noone was able to qualify = several drivers were unable to qualify.
Old 6 May 2006, 15:49 (Ref:1601805)   #7
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really think qualifiying should have been restarted.

That flag caused a lot of teams problems
Old 6 May 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1601808)   #8
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the solution was really really simple in my opinion. They could just do it like in the final part and let everyone finish their laps if they've started them before the end of the session. This way everyone would have enough time to do a final lap, and they wouldn't need to restart the session or anything like that. It would be like giving them 1:30 extra time.
Old 6 May 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1601831)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This problem with that is the time taken to think of it, consider the implications and communicate it to everyone and wait for everyone to agree.
Old 6 May 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1601838)   #10
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Yeh. I think it's a damn site easier for us to sit here and say what should have happened. But imagine having to make a snap decision on the spot.

I know I couldn't have come up with much under that pressure lol

Selby
Old 6 May 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1601841)   #11
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
it still wasn't fair though...

but as nothing like this has happened before, i suppose it is hard to find the right answer to sitution that everyones going to be happy with
Old 6 May 2006, 16:51 (Ref:1601852)   #12
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Yeah I know I'm on a comfortable couch judging the ones who made the decisions, but this one was far too obvious imo. They ruined people's chances, they could have easily at least given them an extra 2 minutes or do what I said above
Old 6 May 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1601876)   #13
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menelaos
They ruined people's chances, they could have easily at least given them an extra 2 minutes or do what I said above
I would imagine that content of the rule book dealing with incorrect information regarding red flags is somewhat minimal. Therefore, I wouldn't have thought that there are any procedures for automatically adding time to a qualifying session. Subsequently, by the time the FIA/stewards/anyone else with a vested interest had decided on a course of action, the original session would have finished, therefore I can't imagine that this proposal would have been feasible.
Old 6 May 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1601891)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There has been a statement from FOM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOM
Due to an electronic fault with the starting lights panel, an erroneous session abort signal was displayed on the start lights and timing information pages during the Formula One qualifying session.
They then repeat God's final message to his creation.
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/51408

As for what was obvious. Well my thought was to do something similar to what was done in DTM last weekend. That does not rely on a practically impossible situation of communication and implementation.
Old 8 May 2006, 03:07 (Ref:1602954)   #15
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's happened before (at Monaco if I recall) when dash lights were first coming in. Even during a race... (allegedly some cars had taped over the light as it would come on intermittently, so when a red was called for a car stalled on the grid on race start another group of cars going into Loews had a small accident when one car slowed for the red and the rest kept racing...)
Old 8 May 2006, 13:33 (Ref:1603359)   #16
ian_c_uk
Racer

United Kingdom
J5 M61
ian_c_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
If it turns out to have been caused by human error, somebody has some explaining to do if they wish to keep their job.
If the marshal was at fault for reacting to the lights, then there is no job to lose, they are unpaid voluntary workers as far as I know, the same as in the UK.
Old 8 May 2006, 15:12 (Ref:1603429)   #17
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I suspect someone in race control leant on the big red button but of course no one will be found guilty.
Old 8 May 2006, 17:58 (Ref:1603553)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Someone must be to blame, we must sack someone!
Old 8 May 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1603657)   #19
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Max!
Old 9 May 2006, 06:16 (Ref:1603936)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Letting everyone into the 2nd session is what occured to me, but the other option is what occured.

Adding additional time, or whatever, just gets far too complicated to be operable in such short times frames and what not.
Old 9 May 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1604065)   #21
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I missed qually...how much of the session was there left before the phantom red flag?
Old 9 May 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1604066)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Four or five minutes I think...
Old 9 May 2006, 10:52 (Ref:1604111)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I think it was 3 minutes 20 something. I can't check at the moment.
Old 10 May 2006, 08:36 (Ref:1604874)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah ok, enough for a couple of laps then...
Old 10 May 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1604890)   #25
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Adding additional time, or whatever, just gets far too complicated to be operable in such short times frames and what not.
Yeah, I agree, that's why I said that the easiest way to do it would be to just say, "just start your lap before the end of the session and you're free to finish it", just like they do on the third session. That would be very easy I think, at least from a technical point of view.

I'm pretty sure that happened with 2:30 or so left, cause I remember thinking "great, now they can't do any fast laps", cause they wouldn't have time to finish before the end of the session. I could be wrong though