Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2006, 21:17 (Ref:1765340)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So, who will be McLaren's other driver next year?

De La Rosa was pretty underwhelming. They want Hamilton in the long term anyway, so why don't they get it over with and sign him?

It appears they rate De La Rosa's development abilities highly so I imagine they'll keep him on as tester.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 23:20 (Ref:1765395)   #2
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
An announcment is due before Christmas apparantly. I think it will be Hamilton.
Old 13 Nov 2006, 23:26 (Ref:1765398)   #3
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
An announcment is due before Christmas apparantly. I think it will be Hamilton.
Same here, with De La Rosa as the tester
Old 14 Nov 2006, 01:11 (Ref:1765443)   #4
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Guys,

I have just been watching Speed Channel over here in the USA during my five week stay and on their news round-up, they said " Mika Hakkinen is helping McLaren out but have no plans to run the former World Champion next season alongside Fernando Alonso".

Interesting how people speculate when a retired driver becomes involved with a team !!!!

Paula
Old 14 Nov 2006, 03:56 (Ref:1765488)   #5
The Lonely
Rookie

The Lonely should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lewis please, perfect season to bring him in really
Old 14 Nov 2006, 07:17 (Ref:1765546)   #6
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happens to Garry Paffett?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1765598)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Mika definitely won't be driving for Mclaren.You heard it here first.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17764.html

More denial.http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=29966

What next: Mika tests car!

Last edited by Marbot; 14 Nov 2006 at 08:55.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:01 (Ref:1765709)   #8
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How old is Mika now anyway ?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:16 (Ref:1765726)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
As Mikka is Mercedes driver it's hardly surprising that he is helping the team out. He has always been close to Ron Dennis as well. I think too many people try to read too much into every day occurrances.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 10:29 (Ref:1765742)   #10
outflat
Racer

outflat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Hollywood
What happens to Garry Paffett?
Test driver at Honda
Old 14 Nov 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1765963)   #11
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana
How old is Mika now anyway ?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1765996)   #12
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Hamilton there for more reasons than one. Right now I dont think its as much of a chance as Maclaren may think. They are not at their best right now. They do however, have the best driver in the world twice over. There is no better test for a new driver than to be up against the best. If Lewis can shadow Alonso, it will be a successful year. If we consider that the very experienced and used to be highly rated Fisichella could not do that, then it would mean Lewis could be the real deal.
LH has proven his worth in GP2 I don't see what testing would do for him. He is already a great racer. He needs to be in a car racing not doing fast laps.
Also, I would love to see a Trini in F1, its never been done and if he is successful it could open up a whole new world of racing. There could be a lot more islanders interested in racing and maybe a pool of talent. A "black" man in F1 will if nothing else, make the news. If Lewis if fast I bet the whole Carribean will be behind the Maclaren team. Lewis can bring racing to a new demographic.
On the other hand the worse case scenario is he could be like Montoya! Seriously, how bad is that?
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1766125)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
On the other hand the worse case scenario is he could be like Montoya! Seriously, how bad is that?
Well he could be the first "black dude" in Nascar.

Oh....wait a minute.......probably not!
Old 14 Nov 2006, 18:59 (Ref:1766134)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He won't turn out like Montoya. For one thing he is very much Rons boy and it simply can't go wrong for him in the McLaren team. He will be forgiven mistakes and will have his path made very smooth indeed. And rightly so.

As long as he doesn't break his shoulder, then Ron won't give him the cold shoulder.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1766135)   #15
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The fact that Mac have waited this long to announce their lineup suggests that they are waiting to see how Lewis is coming along...which also suggests that he is their no.1 choice.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 19:37 (Ref:1766147)   #16
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
The fact that Mac have waited this long to announce their lineup suggests that they are waiting to see how Lewis is coming along...which also suggests that he is their no.1 choice.
It would appear so. Ultimately, Hamilton has a great deal of potential and it is possible that it may be that 2007 is a year to early for him. In that case given that McLaren have no other top line options they will have to go for de la Rosa or failing that, someone of a comparable level. In this case, such a driver is probably going to gamble on Hamilton not racing, on the off chance that they may get a full season in a top car and so McLaren do not need to rush to make a decision.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1766152)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
And how is he coming along.

Surely Alonso is their number one choice as well.

Perhaps they're just delaying the hype.Or the Mika denial stories aren't true.Either way it keeps this thread going.

Last edited by Marbot; 14 Nov 2006 at 19:52.
Old 14 Nov 2006, 21:30 (Ref:1766230)   #18
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Perhaps they're just delaying the hype.Or the Mika denial stories aren't true.Either way it keeps this thread going.
Yes and it provides you with more news links to post....so a win win situation.....
Old 14 Nov 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1766317)   #19
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Mika were to come back I'd:

1) Eat my hat.
2) Probably, literally, throw a street party.

If only it were true! But I think it's probably for the best, as he's surely a bit past it by now, bless him.

Ahhh...if only though, eh?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 01:23 (Ref:1766352)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard

Ahhh...if only though, eh?
Mika hasn't denied anything yet.

Do you want fries with that hat?
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:39 (Ref:1766687)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Mika this, Mika that... Off-season fever !
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:50 (Ref:1766693)   #22
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lewis has more potential than Pedro, and he's excellent from a marketing perspective. Pedro was quite good at best in his half-season in the team, and the final straw for him might be that he's a second Spanish driver in the team. All the logic suggests that Lewis should get it, which would be fantastic for the sport (although it would be nice to read one article on him outside the racing press which doesn't make predictable Tiger Woods comparisons).
Old 15 Nov 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1766704)   #23
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
With Mclaren having spanish sponsors (IIRC 2 or more) I think Pedro has a chance to stay on, though I've heard that Mercedes wants only one spanish driver.
Old 15 Nov 2006, 12:40 (Ref:1766740)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It has been confirmed that Pedro will stay on at McLaren - but in what capacity?

http://www.f1racing.net/en/news.php?newsID=135160

McLaren have also confirmed that it won't be Hakkinen in the car next year.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=37948
Old 15 Nov 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1767010)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce

McLaren have also confirmed that it won't be Hakkinen in the car next year.
Not confirmed,merely denied.

Last edited by Marbot; 15 Nov 2006 at 17:17.