Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:14 (Ref:1271154)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Kimi the new Alesi?

You know, someone with all the talent and none of the luck needed to be champion? It's just a gut feeling, but I think Kimi will end up having a career similar to Jean Alesi - 1 or 2 great showings a year and bad luck everywhere else

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:22 (Ref:1271160)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fundamentally disagree.

Kimi will be a superstar.

Once McLaren get their qualifying sorted (here's hoping for Imola) Kimi will shine race after race.

He will be world champion several times.

Anyway, Kimi's already won more races than Alesi
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1271169)   #3
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
He will be world champion several times.

Everyone said that about Alesi you know Like I said, it's just a gut feeling, but remember how Ferrari went into a down period after Alesi joined them? McLaren have disappointed ever since Kimi joined them, and neither he nor Alesi were ever known for their development skills

Vyvyan - The Young Ones
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:30 (Ref:1271172)   #4
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can you say that? The guys not even had a real chance to demonstrate his development skills.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1271176)   #5
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
No chance. Kimi is in a top car... and will probably stay there for some time to come. Jean rarely was. I expect Kimi, Webber, Alonso, and Button to be battling for future WDC's.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:34 (Ref:1271180)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kimi does seem to get a lot of bad luck but then he almost won a Championship in a lesser car.... I dont think Alesi came even close to a WDC. This is ofcourse not to dis-credit Jean who was a good driver and generally was at the worng place at the wrong time.
Kimi has a good car underneath him and will be a future WDC.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:39 (Ref:1271190)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
comparisons like these- jack is the new john, or michael is the new peter, what ever, seem strrange to me in so many ways, not to mention they are often just goofy. Comparing ones heros to todays magic men is often done but simply not right IMHO.
Senna-Schumacher-Fangio, Hill-Hill-Hill, Kimi will- IS a superstar, in this talent pool of today and manufacturers and tyres being so incredibly intense and top notch, he is up a tough fight, but he is a stunner.
will JPM be like who? never mind JPM is a Madman and will be like none others, similarly Kimi and Alonso will have a spot light all to them selves, comparisons will come and go, but merits of each individual driver let each shine needlessly of comparison. Alesi is one of my favorites, such style and such love for it all, how can you not like him- his drives are all great, save for some misfortune, he is a superstar, KIMI has still 10-15 years to become WDC, and likely will too.
love them all...
Old 5 Apr 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1271206)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
michael is the new peter
Rubbish, Schumacher would be out of his depth in a Capri.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
will JPM be like who?
Keke in '86? http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67139
Old 5 Apr 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1271254)   #9
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is Montoya the next Mansell???
(Observing some habits of the Colombian, and his style, many times I've thought it.)

But back about Kimi, I think there are few points of comparison between him and Alesi. Kimi has better luck anyways. Starting from going straight to UK F. Renault to F1...

Last edited by Mekola; 5 Apr 2005 at 20:58.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1271271)   #10
thejester
Veteran

New Zealand
Wellington
thejester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but what are his weaknesses?

Not questioning Kimi's awesome talent by any means - and I for one would love to see him as champion- but...

what do you think are his weaknesses, if any? What skills do you think he has yet to prove at the top level? Someone mentioned car development, and I would have to put a tiny question mark around overtaking. I have yet to see him really scrap it out on the track. Any thoughts?
Old 5 Apr 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1271276)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there was the races with Montoya, where he seemed quite comfortable side-by-side and came off best in Hungary a couple of years back.
Old 5 Apr 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1271344)   #12
Mike_P
Rookie

United States
Vermont, USA
Mike_P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester
what do you think are his weaknesses, if any?
Maybe Kimi's biggest weakness is beating up marshals

It seemed like Alesi only ran well when he had a team mate who could set the car up properly for him. I'm not sure that is the case with Kimi.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 00:01 (Ref:1271351)   #13
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No question that Kimi will be thought of in higher regard than Alesi post F1.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 08:35 (Ref:1271534)   #14
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi is already more than what Alesi did and I think there will never be a doubt about that.
By this stage of the season Kimi looks a bit unlucky, but overall he showed more talent than Alesi.
The real doubt is : will be Montoya the next Alesi?
Old 6 Apr 2005, 09:11 (Ref:1271551)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Doesn't Montoya fall into the done more too? Having more wins than Kimi?

Neither of them are or will be.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1271558)   #16
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Doesn't Montoya fall into the done more too? Having more wins than Kimi?
Not really.

Montoya is one of the older drivers on the grip.
So if we take hit talent into account, we should expect him to have won more races than Kimi at this moment.

-----

I do not think that McLaren and Williams have gone weaker since Kimi and Montoya joined. It's more a case of the opposition getting stronger.

Both of them should be able to fighting for the title during the next years (as long as they stay at a top team).

---

Alesi and Berger failed to bring Ferrari to the top.
And when they left Ferrari, that team started getting stronger.

Alesi and Berger went to Beneton, who were at the top.
And they didn't succeed to keep Beneton at the top.

---

So at this moment, I would say that Kimi and Montoya will probably have a much better carreer than Alesi and Berger had.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 10:27 (Ref:1271584)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
Not really.

Montoya is one of the older drivers on the grip.
So if we take hit talent into account, we should expect him to have won more races than Kimi at this moment.

-----

Regardless of age - they made their F1 debuts in the same race
Old 6 Apr 2005, 10:46 (Ref:1271596)   #18
300kph
Racer

300kph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejester

what do you think are his weaknesses, if any?

beer, whisky, vhodka...

Last edited by 300kph; 6 Apr 2005 at 10:47.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:21 (Ref:1271656)   #19
Giando
Racer

Giando should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don K, allow me to disagree here
In 1996 Ferrari had a terrible season... yes, 3 wins by M.Schumacher, but how many retirements (just like Alesi and Berger) for mech failures... remember French GP, with Michael out in before the start!!!

And surely, the B196 was not so good as Williams that year, with the same engine...

And Alesi almost won in Montecarlo, apart a suspension failure caused by project problems...

And Alesi almost won in Monza... apart that Ferrari's pit crew did a perfect Pit Stop work and allowed Michael to overtake Jean (not on the track, anyway)

Alesi and Berger are not to be blamed fot their years in Ferrari, and in Benetton, too

It was not their fault, surely

Michael is an outstanding driver and adds surely something, but the Ferrari from 1991 to 1995 (and 1996 and 1997 and 1998, too) were too bad to win the WC.

Kimi is a very talented driver; i feel he's better than Alonso, too.

I think he's unlucky at the moment, but he will win again for sure.

And he's so different from Jean in personality...

So, I can understand the comparison, but i don't find so much similarities

Ciao
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:26 (Ref:1271664)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Even if the end result of their careers prove similar, Kimi and Jean are different enough to not merit diorect comparison. Kimi took the best ride available to him at the time, whereas Jean arguably let his keenness to drive for Ferrari get in the way when he could've joined Williams.

It's very early days for Kimi's career, and I agree that McLaren are on the up this season,a nd probably already ahve a car that's fast enough to challenge for wins, and has had no mechanical failures in 3 races. He's only 19 points behind Alonso, so a championship challenge this season isn't beyond the realms of possibility, especially as cirucsmtances have given him the upper hand at McLaren.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:54 (Ref:1271695)   #21
DougK
Racer

United Kingdom
Berkshire
DougK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can see no comparisson between Kimi and Alesi.

Alesi had a personality and charisma.... Kimi is just dull... his ITV comments on the highlights show was just enough to make anyone fall asleep! He just showed no emotions at all - he made watching paint dry look exciting!

We need more characters in F1!
Old 6 Apr 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1271703)   #22
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You also have to remember Monza '95. Schumacher and Hill retire, It's a Ferarri 1-2, then Alesi's camera falls off and takes out Berger, Alesi then puts it into the gravel for some reason and Herbert sweeps to victory...if that isn't bad luck what is?
Old 6 Apr 2005, 16:47 (Ref:1271842)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Kimi will be world champion. He will be in top cars the majority of his career and will one day get the break. He has the speed, the brain, the lot really.

Alesi made wrong career choices, was an erratic performer and lacked a bit of brain power at times. He still shows this in DTM: on his day he is untouchable, but he has more days punctuated by stupid errors. I recall him switching off his pit-lane speed limiter not so long ago as he "felt his car wasn't going fast enough".

I loved watching Alesi, he was soooo spectacular and fast, but he was never going to be a champion.
Old 6 Apr 2005, 18:17 (Ref:1271930)   #24
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes. Kimi had the great luck of getting into a great team early in his career. And he has a bag full of talent, with lots of time on his hand. He's still so young, and all he need is a car with a good fighting chance and he can show his stuff.

There's no doubt in my mind that Kimi has what it takes to succeed and be WDC. He is right up there among some of the best F1 drivers now on the grid...in fact, direct competitor would be Alonso who's of similar age and potential. He may need to be be careful of the older group of Montoya/Fisi/Webber.

But no doubt Kimi has the talent. Put it right, put the team right...and he'd go far.

In fact, i'd love to see him drive for Ferrari and lead it. That's my opinion, and i won't care if nobody else wants. lol
Old 6 Apr 2005, 21:05 (Ref:1272054)   #25
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i'll either be laughed or shouted out of the room here, but i for one do not see either kimi or jpm as future wdcs. blindingly fast? yes. wins here and there? yes. but the consistency and drive to become wdc? i don't see it, especially from jpm. i think that alonso is definately a future (if not this year) wdc. webber, i think has what it takes to become wdc, but i just don't see it from the current mclaren drivers. just my humble opinion....