Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 Dec 2003, 20:58 (Ref:820901)   #1
Top Gear
Rookie

United Kingdom
Liverpool
Top Gear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do you like BTCC

Why do you like the BTCC and is it your Favorite sort of motorsport.
I like it becouse the racing is great, the drivers ain't driving a computer in like F1 and you can identify with the cars.
Old 27 Dec 2003, 22:23 (Ref:821487)   #2
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's my favourite other than karting. I like it because of the action in the racing and it isn't lap after lap of cars spread out by what looks about 7 miles like F1 and the races are a good length
Old 28 Dec 2003, 17:51 (Ref:821908)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Close racing with cars that can take a knock - F1 cars fall apart too easily, people don't take enough risks to get past in F1. My favourite series is Rallycross but BTCC is good as well.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 18:35 (Ref:821922)   #4
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rallycross is the best National series by a long way.
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:03 (Ref:822035)   #5
ADnet
Racer

ADnet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
touring cars - i like it because:

1) the racing is very close
2) the cars can be related to the road going models
3) more emphasis on the driver and not the box of microchips controlling the car (F1)
4) the close racing leads to contact, which the cars can take so more cars fight till the end
5) personal differences seem to be sorted out during races in "scuffles" where as f1 dont bother because they cant and because they get paid so much they dont care.
6) the drivers are pure racers unlike F1 where they throw money at them
i could go on a while but you see my point here lol ...

Last edited by ADnet; 28 Dec 2003 at 23:08.
"Look at that.... You couldn't kill that vauxhall with a stick - Not a stright Panel left on it!" "Just dragging the remains of the vauxhall down the pit lane - He's turned it into a paperweight" "Can i have a new vauxhall please this ones had it!" <SN 1999>
Old 28 Dec 2003, 23:15 (Ref:822049)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I basically agree with everything so far, although the similarity of the cars with the road-going versions is largely cosmetic.
Old 30 Dec 2003, 23:15 (Ref:824010)   #7
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Because of the close racing, great looking cars and theres plenty of overtaking and banging!!!!
Old 1 Jan 2004, 22:19 (Ref:825345)   #8
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only first noticed it in 1997(just a wee lad then) because I liked the Renault laguna,i bought the original codemasters game and thought i have to see this for real. been hooked ever since. It is instant action unlike F1 (one reason i'm agaisnt it going live next year. And now to make it even better theres Carl Breeze!!!
Old 2 Jan 2004, 04:16 (Ref:825491)   #9
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yeah, I got bit bad by the BTCC. Actually, it started with my brother who introduced me to the DTM back in '95. I then discovered the BTCC and was hooked on it. I ended up being "FORCED" to spend $750 to upgrade to a newer computer so I could play TOCA Touring cars.

I was also "FORCED" in late '95 to turn my old '89 740 wagon into a Class 2 inspired lookalike!!

My love for the BTCC and ST was reinforced when we had our shortlived ST series here in NA!! I was able to walk up close, touch the cars and talk to the drivers!

I haven't regretted it though!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:59 (Ref:826408)   #10
Andy Metcalf
Racer

England
Kings Lynn, Norfolk UK
Andy Metcalf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well when I lived in Diss I was less than half an hour away from Snetterton. But before I learned to drive I had to rely on a lift to the circuit. The only time this seemed to happen was in August when the Touring Cars made a visit. From back then I remember the names of Andy Rouse in the Ford and John Cleland in the Vauxhall.

Tv highlights on BBC where my next way to regularly see the Touring Cars. Murray Walker's 20-30 minute commentary during Grandstand.

Then back in 2002 I first started being a Marshal and started to get the buzz of being at the circuit again. But not just Snetterton. From there my interest and involvement has increased.

Despite DTM and ETCC and others I still enjoy BTCC because of the nature of the sport and the characters that drive the cars. And they are all characters. And I think most people watching get the same buzz as the drivers.

Here's to 2004 etc..............

"Tomorrow, is what you make it"
Old 3 Jan 2004, 13:43 (Ref:826483)   #11
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't. but i close my eyes and think of the glory days of 91-98.........Dem' were the days.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 20:07 (Ref:831925)   #12
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank God the BTCC does have bumping, bashing,overtaking eyc, coz seeing a car on a qualiying lap is just boring. Too much grip and not enough power. And the ETCC rules will only make things worse.

On the other hand, SCV8 will address these problems, but will have smaller grids and probably a lower calibre of drivers.

Aussie V8s here we come.
Old 8 Jan 2004, 20:26 (Ref:831947)   #13
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by O'Schumacher
Thank God the BTCC does have bumping, bashing
Maybe it would be better without such antics?
Old 8 Jan 2004, 20:36 (Ref:831960)   #14
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't and at least in part because of the poor standards of driving and the organisation which permits and even encourages contact (by failing to prosecute and punish it).

The support races are often quite decent.

If the SCV8 takes off and enforces decent driving standards it should blow the BTCC into the weeds.

Regards

Jim
Old 12 Jan 2004, 14:29 (Ref:835410)   #15
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Brand
Maybe it would be better without such antics?
It's what makes BTCC different from things like F1. Sometimes people go to far and are out of order but bumper taps removing wing mirrors is ok slamming your opponent delibratly off the track (I can think of a few but to avoid starting arguments I'm not gonna mention any!).

The main reason I like the BTCC apart from the reasons listened is simple - you can talk to the drivers and team members and at most tracks you can get pretty close to the pits and the old parts are left out back for those who want to take it home! That and the price one season of BTCC qualifying (been once please spice it up!!) and race days or one F1 race? :-S

One further thought for those of you against the odd bashing - think France 79 Giles Villenue and Rene Arnoux sraping for second touching and fighting all the way. Was that not good to see?

Last edited by Phoenix1; 12 Jan 2004 at 14:31.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 15:14 (Ref:835465)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix1
Sometimes people go to far and are out of order but bumper taps removing wing mirrors is ok
No it isn't. Motor racing is supposed to be a non-contact sport. If you want to see that sort of stuff, go & watch stock car racing.

Quote:
slamming your opponent delibratly off the track (I can think of a few but to avoid starting arguments I'm not gonna mention any!).
Where do you draw the line? Who adjudicates on such matters?
The problem with the poor driving standards seen in series like BTCC is that some young drivers starting out in club racing think it is the norm. Don't forget that most club racers are racing for the love of the sport on a very tight budget; for many of them, a serious crash doesn't mean that they have to use the spare car, it means their season, possibly even their racing career, is over.

Quote:
One further thought for those of you against the odd bashing - think France 79 Giles Villenue and Rene Arnoux sraping for second touching and fighting all the way. Was that not good to see?
And would it have been any worse without contact?

Last edited by Dave Brand; 12 Jan 2004 at 15:15.
Old 12 Jan 2004, 18:43 (Ref:835758)   #17
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toca rules state

"DRIVER DISCIPLINE
A range of penalties can be imposed against a driver deemed to be driving dangerously." this does not rule out contact.

BTCC is also often run on a tight budget, look at Gavin Pyper. I know this is not as extreme as some lower formula. It is really up to the clerk of the course to make it clear what, if any, contact is allowed before the start of any race. When karting the rule is that people will touch but so long as the other driver is not impedded in any way and it was not vicious it is okay.

France 1979 was great even without touching but it added to it. It shows two drivers knowing the limits of the cars.

http://www.toca-tour.co.uk/Champions...les/rules.html
Old 23 Jan 2004, 17:44 (Ref:848476)   #18
The Darkness
Racer

The Darkness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i first got into the BTCC in 1998 i was 12 years old and i was beinging naughty so my mam sat me down to watch one of the Races at Thruxton and i've loved it ever since. i'm not really into any other motorsport apart from formula 1 if the races are entertaining enough to watch.
Old 23 Jan 2004, 17:57 (Ref:848494)   #19
Duffacus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nottingham, UK
Duffacus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I got into the BTCC in about 1997 and eventually I have collected BTCC reviews from 1993 to 2000 but when the Super Tourers went I lost interest a bit but now I'm enjoying it again. I went to Silverstone last year for the race and really enjoyed it, got lots of autographs too, I even got a GA mechanic to fetch Gary Ayles so he could sign a book of mine. I think the BTCC is coming back into its own now and its partly due to the close racing and contact why I got into it in the first place, Love it!

Last edited by Duffacus; 23 Jan 2004 at 17:57.

Brundle: Didn’t see too many in practice
Old 25 Jan 2004, 18:20 (Ref:850152)   #20
Casseopeia
Rookie

Casseopeia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have followed the BTCC since the mid - 90s. I have to agree with so many people that the racing was amazing back then. Closely fought battles and a bigger range of manufacturers meant that each round of the championship was an occasion. I still follow the BTCC, I love the fact that the meetings are fan friendly and the way that 2004 will be a corker of a season ( c/o Alan Gow).
Old 25 Jan 2004, 18:57 (Ref:850173)   #21
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can remember the first race I saw, it was in 1996 and at Donington Park. It was one of these days when what ever is on the TV, i'll watch it. So be it I was watching Grandstand (BORING!) Then came along the BTCC, and I loved it. I loved it so much I forced my dad to find a video and record it lol What made it interesting was there were loads of different shapes of cars (makes/models) and the racing was very close - I can remember Hoy and Burt's coming together in the first race, and seeing Burts bumper fly off and Hoys damaged Renault...you couldnt had asked for more.

I hope that this year the BTCC will be returning to close racing, but in another way, its a shame that the stars have all moved on. Cleland, Tarquini, Warwick, Menu, Rydell, Radisich...etc are all gone and even people like Will Hoy who sadly is no longer with us, its people like that who make it interesting on and off the track. I just hope that the future drivers can continue this `trend`.

Last edited by SPARK Msport; 25 Jan 2004 at 18:58.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 11:45 (Ref:852130)   #22
The Darkness
Racer

The Darkness should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the first race i saw i'm sure Alain Menu won i'm not sure. the one thing that sticks in my mind about that race is James Thompson drove around the circuit with his indicator switched on. thats how i remember that race.
Old 27 Jan 2004, 19:37 (Ref:852718)   #23
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol i cant remember that race...it might had been at Thruxton in 1998 when Tommo was leading but after the pit stops he left his indicator on and dropped places and menu won...
Old 28 Jan 2004, 02:31 (Ref:853107)   #24
Startline1
Rookie

Startline1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to think the BTCC was the best thing since sliced bread as they say, but after the demise of the ST cars and the rise of the hatchbacks i had lost a bit of interest.

But now with the trend towards 4 door bodies i think we may be getting back to proper SALOON car racing.

I can think of many great moments watching drivers like Cleland,soper & hoy etc. But one that springs to mind is the Silverstone race where the 2 Toyota`s took each other out as that was only one bit of a very busy race.
Old 28 Jan 2004, 06:08 (Ref:853191)   #25
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just love touring cars- especialy BTCC- it seem to be the more pure of Touring sorts- especially with 4 doors coming back- Look at SpeedWorldChallenge Touring Car, sure it is super Production and not Super2000, but they have excellent racing- some of the best- I really did grow up reading and watching european highlights, and tracks so I really do prefer racing over there- but there are some gems in the states which help touring car really shine- like RoadAmerica, Road Atlanta, MidOhio, Laguna Seca.
But watching Touring cars at Brands, Snetterton,Thruxton, Silverstone , donnington- just classics Almost everytime liek races at Monza, or Brno, or vallelunga, Jarama
Spa
the scenery does much to help the cars look their best too,
But it comes down to, the close battles, how 30 cars fight for the same piece of real estate, and they all have enough power and grip to go 3 wide and enough to lose it too. the racing is just good, i also prefer watching the large bodies of tourers run around rather than a crazy aero fiend in Formula cars, and the myriad of exhaust notes, form so many different engines, and the variety of styles and shapes. Touring cars have so much especially in BTCC, which has come to define touring cars world over ifeel.
Now GT racing- that is exciting stuff but....