Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Dec 2002, 12:52 (Ref:456752)   #1
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf, Does any of his ex/team mates like him?

Just read this over on the Cart forum where they are discussing Zanardi's return to Karting, and he almost won.

The following link was posted, have a look at the last paragraph.

http://digilander.libero.it/alexzana..._not_02027.htm
Old 24 Dec 2002, 12:58 (Ref:456754)   #2
DavidStHubbins
Veteran

United Kingdom
DavidStHubbins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well he whupped Zanardi didnt he! Sour grapes...
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:24 (Ref:456770)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think this bit is interesting;

Then I replied that 'Montoya is a good driver, I have seen him to do fantastic things!' and Ralf 'Nooo!, if Montoya will arrive in F1, he could arrive within the first ten places sometimes, no more!' ... that is Ralf!".

Well Ralf isn't that far off the point is he?

Sadly Alex Z was always an overhyped journeyman driver in F1. It just didn't suit his style. Cart certainly showed him to be a great driver and sportsman. IMHO he only got his Team Willy drive because Bernie needed to promote F1 in the USA.

Others have tried to come from Cart to F1 and shown half (or none of) the promise that we had hoped or been told to expect.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:29 (Ref:456772)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll agree with Pete. Zanardi was superb in CART where his car control and sportsmanship was always to the fore. But today's ugly, horrible modern F1 cars just did not suit his style at all. If he had been given a second chance in 2000, maybe he would have improved, but it's doubtful.

To we CART fans, we'll always remember him for those fantastic overtaking moves that are now just memories...
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:41 (Ref:456779)   #5
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Poor Alex, the anticipation of his arrival to F1 for me was unprecidented. I watched him CART and thought "this is the guy we need".

But as F1Manoz pointed out, it was'nt to be.

I must say, for all Ralfs critics, he can't be that bad if he stomped alex, left Juan 3 wins to 1 last year, and did'nt finish far behind the 'great one' this year.

If Ralf is so bad, and Monty the second coming, why is the performance gap so small?
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:41 (Ref:456781)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Ralf 'Nooo!, if Montoya will arrive in F1, he could arrive within the first ten places sometimes, no more!' ... that is Ralf!".

Well Ralf isn't that far off the point is he?

Of course he isn't 11 podiums and 10 fastest laps

i thought that this was more interesting (what Alex said.....)

"In 1998, I left my seat at the Chip Ganassi Racing to Juan Pablo and since I was grateful to Mr.Ganassi to have changed my life, when he called me to take a look to Montoya at the first test, I went to the USA to do a sort of driving school to that young driver for the first time at the wheel of a so demanding car on an oval. I drove the car for a few lap finding the right set-up and then I left the car to Montoya. He was cautious for a few laps but then I realized that he was trying to control the car in the middle of the corners at 350 kph like an expert driver and then I asked to myself why they called me to do that useless trip!".
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:45 (Ref:456782)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
left Juan 3 wins to 1 last year,
Would have looked a different picture if Juan Pablo hadn't broke at Hockenheim gifting the win to Rafe, or not being taken out by Jos at Brazil or breaking down when looked like a very possible win at Indy, should have been 5 - 2 in Juan Pablo's favour, but yes, it wasn't, but ask yourself this, since the time they (JPM and Rafe) have been team-mates, when has Rafe ever broken down when he had a very possible race win on his hands?..... None.

Last edited by Mr V; 24 Dec 2002 at 13:45.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:47 (Ref:456783)   #8
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't say much about RS vs AZ, but in the other hand...
JPM did better than Ralf this season.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:48 (Ref:456784)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mr V.

If you really want to take up a disagreement with me make sure you are picking on the right topic. You keep on about fastest laps and podiums which is fine but in overall terms of finishing he still isn't any better than his team mate (you can for you puposes only compare one season).

As to the section of the text you prefer, I agree. Montoya was brilliant in Cart. He's just not that good in F1.

But you've also missed the other part of my post. Perhaps your memory is too short to remember Michael Andretti?

Merry Christmas
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:48 (Ref:456786)   #10
M Coupe
Racer

Quote:

Others have tried to come from Cart to F1 and shown half (or none of) the promise that we had hoped or been told to expect.

Discounting JV I assume

Montoya has also done pretty well.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:52 (Ref:456788)   #11
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
Would have looked a different picture if Juan Pablo hadn't broke at Hockenheim gifting the win to Rafe, or not being taken out by Jos at Brazil or breaking down when looked like a very possible win at Indy, should have been 5 - 2 in Juan Pablo's favour.
Exactly !

Looks like some people only read next day newspapers..., and don't see the races...
Old 24 Dec 2002, 13:55 (Ref:456790)   #12
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Mr V.

If you really want to take up a disagreement with me make sure you are picking on the right topic. You keep on about fastest laps and podiums which is fine
Peter, unless i've miss read the original point of Rafes statement, he say's (and i was quoting you as you posted the original transcript) that JPM would finish in the first ten Sometimes he was obviously wrong and as you thought that Rafe wasn't far off the mark then you are wrong also, 11 podiums (not to mention other points scoring positions) is a batting average of 1 in 3, hardly seems sometimes to me, does it you?

Last edited by Mr V; 24 Dec 2002 at 13:56.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:18 (Ref:456799)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I believe he's finished sometimes in the top ten. Nothing wrong with that is there?
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:21 (Ref:456802)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
I believe he's finished sometimes in the top ten. Nothing wrong with that is there?
define sometimes......... a dictionary will tell you that it's occasional, where as he hasn't occasionally finished in the top 10, he's quite often finished in the top 10.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:27 (Ref:456805)   #15
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
He's winding you up Mrv

Even a die-hard Ralf-loving Monty-hater can see Juan has some real talent, and some good results this year.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:33 (Ref:456810)   #16
Schumacher
Racer

Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont care if lil bros team mates liked him or not but as far as Zanardi goes he got his ass whipped big time by Ralfie so him whining is no big deal.Actually come to think of it since this dude broke his legs all he has been doing is running his mouth on other people.I seem to remember him saying some nasty things about Frank Williams as well.Zanardi has no sympathy from me.He was a lousy f1 driver.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:36 (Ref:456815)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Schumacher
Actually come to think of it since this dude broke his legs all he has been doing is running his mouth on other people.
I think that this is a very unfair statement to make.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 14:39 (Ref:456817)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Wrex
He's winding you up Mrv

Even a die-hard Ralf-loving Monty-hater
I don't think that Peter is intentionally trying to wind me up (it ain't working anyway) it's just that he's a Rafe loving Monty hater
Old 24 Dec 2002, 15:06 (Ref:456828)   #19
M Coupe
Racer

Quote:
[I]Originally posted by Schumacher{/I}
Actually come to think of it since this dude broke his legs all he has been doing is running his mouth on other people..............Zanardi has no sympathy from me........

I don't usually bite, but this time I will.

You are one sick bloke!!

Alex did a lot more than BREAK his legs, he had them both amputated!!!!!!!!!

i.e. in simpleton terms cut off!

It's one thing to have a dig but that's pushing it.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 15:17 (Ref:456829)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The back up has arrived!! Good old Peter and his confusingly reasonless hatred of Juan Pablo. If he would only look past that for one moment he might appreciate that he's witnessing one of the fastest and most exciting drivers of the generation. Not to worry, he'll prove it once and for all in '03.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 15:47 (Ref:456835)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Schumacher I hope you can sleep well with those remarks.

If you consider that to be a personal attack then you are correct.

And Damon. If by "reinforcements" you're bringing an extra shovel to dig that hole deeper then dig away my friend!!!
Old 24 Dec 2002, 16:14 (Ref:456845)   #22
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've never been one to sing the praises of Zanardi as an F1 driver, but he did outqualify Ralf five times in 1999 and was desperately unlucky not to have scored any points that year. Had he stayed on in 2000, I reckon he could've done a better job than what Button did.

Besides, his description of Ralf has got to be an accurate one by all accounts.

Last edited by Raven; 24 Dec 2002 at 16:18.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 16:57 (Ref:456876)   #23
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe if Zanardi's car had occaisonally lasted more than 5 laps, he could have done something with it in '99!

Schumacher, you're one sick SOB.

Ralf's an idiot, no one in the paddock likes him, even his brother! He's the most hopelessly boring and souless self-serving shill of a man in the paddock! My God, he hates both Monaco and Spa! What is he, a robot?!

Not to mention he got whipped by Damon, Bunsen, Fisi, and next year very convincingly by Juan Pablo.

Oh, and I'll point out something that hasn't been mentioned... Since the end of the '98 season, Ralf's been the primary development driver at Williams, meaning the cars have primarily been designed to his preferences. That's an advantage right there which should have allowed him to dominate both JPM and Bunsen.
Old 24 Dec 2002, 17:14 (Ref:456889)   #24
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
define sometimes......... a dictionary will tell you that it's occasional, where as he hasn't occasionally finished in the top 10, he's quite often finished in the top 10.
I think he finished in the top 10 18 times in 34 races. That's 53%, while driving for one of the top teams.

Remember that in 1999, Ralf probably didn't know that Montoya would enter F1 in one of the top teams...
Old 24 Dec 2002, 17:30 (Ref:456898)   #25
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Sadly Alex Z was always an overhyped journeyman driver in F1. It just didn't suit his style. Cart certainly showed him to be a great driver and sportsman.
Peter , that first remark is a bit out of context surley !........i mean , show me when the Lotus or that Williams was a car capable of jumping stright in and setting the world alight .