Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 17 Jan 2003, 14:00 (Ref:477259)   #1
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America, CART might split

As part of his vision for the future of CART, second-year CEO Chris Pook is looking toward cities, where more residents mean more potential fans.

Even more important, a large population center provides a greater opportunity to turn a race into a civic event. That's exactly what Pook accomplished as the longtime promoter of the Long Beach Grand Prix in California.

The obvious question, then, for folks in this area, is where does this all leave Road America?

The four miles of asphalt in Elkhart Lake have provided one of the most challenging and picturesque venues for motorsports anywhere for five decades. The track has been part of the CART circuit since 1982.

Yet it's an hour from Milwaukee, the closest sizable city. And that doesn't quite fit into Pook's line.

"That's something we have to discuss, where we are and where they want to be," Pook said Thursday. "Do they want one of our races or do they not want one of our races? We've got to work our way through that process."

Road America's contract with the series, signed in 1999, is up after this season.

The track's CART stop is set for Aug. 3 this season, two weeks earlier than its traditional position on the calendar. By changing the date after CART had announced its schedule, a presumption could be made that the track and series are headed in different directions.

"That's the message," Pook said, "isn't it?"
Old 17 Jan 2003, 14:13 (Ref:477274)   #2
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America is the Spa of CART - it has to stay on the calendar.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 14:25 (Ref:477283)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd be gutted if we lost Road America, it's perhaps the highlight of the series. I'm sure they still want the race, and CART should as well.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 15:48 (Ref:477380)   #4
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Throughout its history at Road America, CART has jerked that track around. There IS no traditional date. It's varied from July to October. With Portland now signed as a CART promotion deal on a one-year contract, Road America, Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca are ALL looking for Promoter Pookfare and those races aren't solid yet even for this year. The Road America scheduling snafu is a big factor there.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 17:01 (Ref:477452)   #5
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's it, I'm calling for Pook's resignation RIGHT NOW!!!

This is quickly becoming a case of burning the village to save it, destroying everything Champcars is to make it more profitable!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 17 Jan 2003 at 17:04.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 17:05 (Ref:477455)   #6
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree, you can't leave Road America. If RA were in North Dakota, CART should still be racing there.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 17:24 (Ref:477468)   #7
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Let's wait and see. Any decision taken, we'll have no influence on it, whether Elkhart Lake stays or leaves.

And it's Elkhart Lake. Road America... I hate that name.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 18:21 (Ref:477518)   #8
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by indycool
...Road America, Mid-Ohio and Laguna Seca are ALL looking for Promoter Pookfare and those races aren't solid yet even for this year.
It was a dangerous precedent. I guess it just goes to show that Champcar's sanction fee is too high.

The reason I like Champcars is because they've got road racing. I've only gone to the Toronto race once, because it's a street track, and there aren't viewing areas in the sense that I prefer (such as at Mosport).

If Pook turns this into an all-street series, I'll just stop watching top-flight open wheeled racing altogether.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Jan 2003, 18:31 (Ref:477533)   #9
uar6
Rookie

uar6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Road America is the best track in the world, as far as Im concerned. And eatting the brats all week end are only part of it.........
Old 17 Jan 2003, 18:52 (Ref:477556)   #10
Bizzo5000
Racer

Bizzo5000 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ehhhhh. No offence, but that "article" seems to have a touch of bogusness to it. Those quotes seem way out of place and out of context. I think that first one was the same thing he said about Miami or Houston last year.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:09 (Ref:477570)   #11
veeten
Veteran

United States
Temple Hills, Md.
veeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridveeten should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
question for As-de-mim!,...

from where was this excerpt taken from, what news service?...
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:22 (Ref:477577)   #12
deloreanboy
Rookie

deloreanboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i wouldnt worry about elkhart lake, it one of carts crown jewels, id say easily up there with long beach. i think pook is too smart to make cart an all street racing series--it would alienate way too many fans.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:24 (Ref:477578)   #13
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel Online. From none other than Dave Kallmann
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:32 (Ref:477583)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CART cannot, I repeat CANNOT lose Elkhart. I agree that it is important to build fan base and big cities facilitate this. But does Pook want people to merely attend one race a year or does he want them watching on TV as well? You cannot have a dedicated fan base by getting people interested in your product for two hours a year. Elkhart is a race for dedicated CART fans. The 4 different types of venues are important for a reason other than bragging rights. It's interesting that CART goes to your local track of any format, but the big reason is to keep fans interested. When you think road course you think Elkhart (or maybe Laguna).

A few years ago Elkhart, Milwaukee, Chicago, Detroit, Mid-Ohio, Clevland were all scheduled close together. This wasn't the best plan, but I doubt any fan who watches races consistantly would trade Elkhart for all of them together.

Last edited by Snrub; 17 Jan 2003 at 19:33.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:45 (Ref:477593)   #15
Bizzo5000
Racer

<'Yet it's an hour from Milwaukee, the closest sizable city. And that doesn't quite fit into Pook's line.

"That's something we have to discuss, where we are and where they want to be," Pook said Thursday. "Do they want one of our races or do they not want one of our races? We've got to work our way through that process."'>

What the hell does that quote mean to the question above? Me thinks Pook is being misquoted here. Seems to me that Mr. Kallmann better match up his stolen quotes better. Ahhhhhh!!! I hate shoddy journalism(for once it's not from Jack Arute though).
Old 17 Jan 2003, 19:48 (Ref:477600)   #16
Bizzo5000
Racer

Mr. Pook, Do you think you will be racing on Mars in 2005?

"That's something we have to discuss, where we are and where they want to be," Pook said Thursday. "Do they want one of our races or do they not want one of our races? We've got to work our way through that process."

Mr. Pook, what do you think of the invitation by Sadam to race in Iraq?

See what I mean?

Last edited by Bizzo5000; 17 Jan 2003 at 19:50.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:06 (Ref:477620)   #17
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca, Road America and Mid-Ohio are all in danger of being dropped. The rumors are not new for any of these three. They fall outside the urban venue that Vannini and Pook talk about. Pook intends to expand CART's European schedule in 2004 to four or five races. There is little doubt that these additions will come at the expense of some/all of these three circuits.

Only Fontana and Long Beach made money last year. CART is committed to Portland, Cleveland, Denver, Miami and St. Petersburg, and has invested in Milwaukee as well.

Come on people, get the picture! CART has signed eleven drivers to date, not one an American. Pook has been talking up the increased European ownership and claims there will be more next year. When Robin Miller was saying CARt needed to sign three or four young American drivers "if they have any sense left", Pook retorted by saying, look for sigings of Latin and European drivers.

All Kallmann has done is state an ediorial opinion (it is an op-ed piece, duh) Road America doesn't fit CART's model, and that they MAY split with CART (obviously in the future). This is not an unreasonable conclusion based on what Pook has said and what has to date transpired.

But don't take it as fact ... yet.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:24 (Ref:477641)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by sgw2
Laguna Seca, Road America and Mid-Ohio are all in danger of being dropped. The rumors are not new for any of these three. They fall outside the urban venue that Vannini and Pook talk about. Pook intends to expand CART's European schedule in 2004 to four or five races...
Makes you wonder if Spa was ever seriously considered. Brands has easy access to large populations, but, ultimately, Spa is in the middle of nowhere (from a European perspective).
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:44 (Ref:477662)   #19
Bizzo5000
Racer

That was an editorial? Coulda fooled me. Read like an factual article to me. How often do you see quotes in op-ed pieces like he used?
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:47 (Ref:477666)   #20
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the time actually. This mornings Mercury News Sports page has four such columnist articles ... but they are on Football.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 20:50 (Ref:477669)   #21
Bizzo5000
Racer

Those quotes just seemed WAY out of place to me, like he wasn't even answering the same question(not the first time this was done)
Old 17 Jan 2003, 22:55 (Ref:477782)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you serious that virtually none of the American races made money? I don't get how you can loose money on Elkhart. Get the track signed up promote it and everyone gets a cut of the action. If you were to rent the track (Mosport is ~4k CDN on a weekday, even if the weekend was $40k), so it would seem the track owners aren't looking for unreasonable $$$). Obviously if the promotion went over the profits you lose, but that would seem strange that it happened at ALL of those races.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 23:19 (Ref:477807)   #23
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Only Fontana and Long Beach made money? That's absolutely impossible, Montreal at least must have made a profit!!!

The cost of the Mid-Ohio race is almost nonexistant, but attendance was strong, I can't believe that it didn't make money.
Old 17 Jan 2003, 23:25 (Ref:477817)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
lol.... as long as a race can draw a crowd there will be a race there! relax.. If nobody wants to go to Elkhart Lake, than Cart shouldn't race there. But, that doesn't seem to be the case, so we're safe.

btw, there will be at least 2 American drivers in the series. Maybe 3...

Last edited by Jay; 17 Jan 2003 at 23:26.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 Jan 2003, 23:34 (Ref:477827)   #25
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Yeah, but we need an American driver who's talented enough to win a championship, for marketing purposes at least.

Vasser's overrated, Herta's fast but he doesn't have anything special to dig out under pressure, which is why Zanardi made him look so average, and I don't think Hunter-Reay is anything special.

CART missed a huge opportunity not signing up Jeff Gordon years ago, and missed again on Paul Edwards, who would have been perfect for this series, but who will instead be wasting his talents with Red Bull.