Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What is your drive of the year?
Trulli in Australia 0 0%
Glock in Malaysia 1 1.12%
Vettel in China 5 5.62%
Button in Bahrain 1 1.12%
Button in Spain 1 1.12%
Button in Monaco 9 10.11%
Button in Turkey 2 2.25%
Vettel in Great Britain 2 2.25%
Webber in Germany 30 33.71%
Hamilton in Hungary 4 4.49%
Barrichello in Europe 0 0%
Fisichella in Belgium 5 5.62%
Barrichello in Italy 1 1.12%
Hamilton in Singapore 0 0%
Vettel in Japan 1 1.12%
Button in Brazil 17 19.10%
Kobayashi in Abu Dhabi 7 7.87%
Webber in China 0 0%
Kimi in Spa 3 3.37%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Nov 2009, 00:36 (Ref:2575268)   #1
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Drive of the Year

Some choices for you to mull over, 1 from each race

- Trulli @ Australia - from the back of the grid to take 3rd at the finish
- Glock @ Malaysia - tyre gambles lead to a challenge for victory until red flag
- Vettel @ China - supreme wet weather performance
- Button @ Bahrain - opportunistic second lap move leads to victory
- Button @ Spain - beat Rubens in a head-to-head strategic fight
- Button @ Monaco - dominated on the streets of Monte Carlo
- Button @ Turkey - crucially held off faster, lighter Vettel for many laps
- Vettel @ Britain - crushed opposition to win comfortably
- Webber @ Germany - took first win easily despite an early drive-through
- Hamilton @ Hungary - picked off opponents and disappeared into the dust
- Barrichello @ Europe - ended long drought and proved Brawn were still in it
- Fisichella @ Belgium - took pole and finished a close 2nd in a Force India
- Barrichello @ Italy - surprise win, defeated the Brits in a straight fight
- Hamilton @ Singapore - lights-to-flag win on tough street circuit
- Vettel @ Japan - kept title fight alive with dominating performance
- Webber/Kubica/Button @ Brazil - you could make good cases for all 3
- Vettel/Kobayashi @ Abu Dhabi - again dual choice, domination or star rookie

I'd personally go for Vettel in China. Not a single mistake all afternoon in torrential conditions, and Red Bull's first win as well, despite Buemi colliding with him early on

Perhaps a mod could add a poll...
Old 4 Nov 2009, 19:34 (Ref:2575811)   #2
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
1 Webber in Germany
2 Vettel in Britain
3 Vettel in China
4 Webber in Brazil
5 Hamilton in Huungary
6 Glock in Malaysia
7 Barrichello in Italy

No I am not a Red Bull fan but their drivers did it very very well this year. When they got it right they really got it right.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 19:39 (Ref:2575816)   #3
JamesRamone
Veteran

England
Just outside Leeds, West Yorkshire
JamesRamone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A poll would be interesting. I would go for Vettel in China. Stuff of a World Champion in the making

Down F0rce: "More than a few, but the strangest one was when Jos Verstappen and Enrique Bernoldi scored a one-two for Arrows and were apparantly so impressed by each other's driving, they sang "Wind Beneath My Wings" to each other in the press conference."

Brilliant
Old 4 Nov 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2575824)   #4
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Bernd Mayländer in Malaysia - lapping at 20s a lap faster than the race leaders
Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:21 (Ref:2575938)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Perhaps a mod could add a poll...
Your wish is my command... (although I did just choose one option for each of the final two races)

Vettel in China for me - awesome drive.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:35 (Ref:2575956)   #6
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It mightn't have been the "best" drive in the true sense of the word, but the drive I enjoyed watching the most was Fisichella's storming effort in the Force India at Spa. It's always refreshing to see an underdog upset the trend from time to time, I hadn't seen such a surprise since Damon Hill's drive to P2 in the Arrows at Hungary '97; so Fisichella gets my vote.
Old 4 Nov 2009, 22:48 (Ref:2575961)   #7
50-SIX
Racer

50-SIX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went for Webber in Germany, with Button's Brazil drive a close a second. But winning like he did with a drive through, I can't think of anyone who has dominated like that in recent years.
Old 5 Nov 2009, 19:12 (Ref:2576560)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Seb at Silverstone, peerless all race.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 03:01 (Ref:2577426)   #9
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50-SIX View Post
I went for Webber in Germany, with Button's Brazil drive a close a second. But winning like he did with a drive through, I can't think of anyone who has dominated like that in recent years.
Out of the options available, I agree.

However, I'm disappointed that everyone was so mesmerised by Fisi's drive at Spa that they forgot about the guy who actually won the race in a slower car. Their respective abilities were highlighted when, from then on, they were driving the same car.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 03:31 (Ref:2577432)   #10
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
1 Webber in Germany
2 Vettel in Britain
3 Vettel in China
4 Webber in Brazil
5 Hamilton in Huungary
6 Glock in Malaysia
7 Barrichello in Italy

No I am not a Red Bull fan but their drivers did it very very well this year. When they got it right they really got it right.
Did Brawn's drivers not get it really right this year?! I find it astonishing you have not listed one of Button's supreme drives at all...it is widely regarded in the F1 paddock that his drives at Bahrain, Barcelona and Monaco were ones to go down in history. When Jenson got it right, he really got it right, obviously. Yet you list Glock at Malaysia and don't mention Jense at all!
Old 7 Nov 2009, 03:39 (Ref:2577436)   #11
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Seb in China, blew them away
Old 7 Nov 2009, 05:16 (Ref:2577453)   #12
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't pick one over the rest, but a few stand out to me. Vettel's dominant drive in Japan with an old engine to stay alive in the championship was impressive. Hamilton's wins in an inferior car were as well (it's too bad his breaks failed in Abu Dhabi, he may have made this thread moot). Either of Kobayashi's races deserve consideration as well. Ask Giancarlo Fisichella how hard it is to jump into a new car, he did it and more than held his own against the world champion.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 13:54 (Ref:2577630)   #13
Timomies
Rookie

Finland
Finland
Timomies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
it is widely regarded in the F1 paddock that his drives at Bahrain, Barcelona and Monaco were ones to go down in history.
C'mon, with that car I would have drive myself to history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runshaw View Post
Yet you list Glock at Malaysia and don't mention Jense at all!
Glock came from back faster than anyone else and would have won the race if it would have lasted couple of laps longer (would've, should've, could've )
Old 7 Nov 2009, 14:39 (Ref:2577660)   #14
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
...I'm disappointed that everyone was so mesmerised by Fisi's drive at Spa that they forgot about the guy who actually won the race in a slower car...
And you wouldn't be biased at all would you?

I agree with what you say though, but the reason I voted for Fisi in Belgium was because it was one of the drives which I most enjoyed watching during the season, although probably not - as I mentioned in my post - the best drive. Don't get me wrong, I was delighted to see Raikkonen on the top step of the podium (and in doing so he prevented the heartbreak of seeing the Prancing Horse go through an entire season without winning a race), and as a Ferrari fan it was fantastic to see; but I have a soft spot for the underdogs - particularly Force India as they were (as Eddie Jordan may have mentioned once or twice throughout the season) formerly the Jordan Grand Prix team.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2577697)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Buttoning Brazil...
Old 7 Nov 2009, 19:32 (Ref:2577769)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

However, I'm disappointed that everyone was so mesmerised by Fisi's drive at Spa that they forgot about the guy who actually won the race in a slower car.
Kimi's car can't have been that much slower, bearing in mind that he had KERS for the one place that Fisi could overtake. And btw, Kimi's fastest lap was a tenths faster Fisi's, who you say, had the faster car
Old 7 Nov 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2577807)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
And you wouldn't be biased at all would you?

I agree with what you say though, but the reason I voted for Fisi in Belgium was because it was one of the drives which I most enjoyed watching during the season, although probably not - as I mentioned in my post - the best drive. Don't get me wrong, I was delighted to see Raikkonen on the top step of the podium (and in doing so he prevented the heartbreak of seeing the Prancing Horse go through an entire season without winning a race), and as a Ferrari fan it was fantastic to see; but I have a soft spot for the underdogs - particularly Force India as they were (as Eddie Jordan may have mentioned once or twice throughout the season) formerly the Jordan Grand Prix team.
Of course I am biased , but I think it was a fair comment in this case.

However, you're excused because your reason is entirely valid one.
Old 7 Nov 2009, 20:39 (Ref:2577811)   #18
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had to go for Button/Brazil - under massive pressure for the championship, had a (self inflicted) crap qualifying, then on the Sunday drove brilliantly through the field to take the title. Brilliant stuff
Old 8 Nov 2009, 12:27 (Ref:2578233)   #19
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi/Spa...so what if it is not one of the options!
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:00 (Ref:2578309)   #20
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Looking at the poll results, something tells me that a few of our resident Aussies have popped into this thread.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:11 (Ref:2578314)   #21
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also Webber only has one race on there whilst others have up to 4 races which means votes for that driver are spread further
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2578316)   #22
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Although that assumes that people are voting for the driver rather than the drive.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2578322)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
'Webber in Oxford' would poll more votes than any other drive.
Old 8 Nov 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2578327)   #24
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber in Germany.

He lost part of his wing, had a drive through, and won the race by about half a minute. I think that's about as dominant a performance as is possible.
Old 9 Nov 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2578904)   #25
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Kimi's car can't have been that much slower, bearing in mind that he had KERS for the one place that Fisi could overtake. And btw, Kimi's fastest lap was a tenth faster Fisi's, who you say, had the faster car
Naturally, Kimi is the faster driver.

Being serious, once he had got in front, Kimi had to drive a defensive race, so Fisi was being held up a little and could have gone faster on a clear track. Yes, having KERS gave Kimi an advantage in one, maybe two, places on the track, but elsewhere Fisi had the advantage because his car handled better because it didn't have the weight of KERS to lump around. Both of them played to the different advantages of their cars, as you would expect.

Overall, there wasn't much difference in performance between them, but each car had different strengths and weaknesses as was shown again a week later when Kimi had a very similar battle with Sutil in Monza.