Closed Thread

Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:00 (Ref:1435597)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya's Shanghai incident

This is being discussed in the Aussie V8 forum at the moment, but it seems to have escaped attention (as far as I can tell) here in the Formula One forum.

Montoya hit a loose manhole cover that effectively ripped the floor away from his McLaren and caused his engine to expire. This happened just four months after a V8 driver, Mark "Frosty" Winterbottom, had the bottom of his V8 ripped out by driving over a manhole cover.

Now, you would have thought that the Chinese race promoter would have ensured that all these manhole covers were far, far away from the circuit before the Formula One event kicked off, but apparently not.

With drivers' safety supposed to be at the forefront of the FIA's collective mind, I wonder whether any action will be taken by the FIA against the Chinese race promoter for this incident. However, given the importance of the burgeoning Chinese market for both Formula One and the brands and products of F1 sponsors, it may be that this is quietly swept under the carpet. Indeed, from what I've read, Montoya doesn't seem to have made a big deal about it.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1435602)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I am not sure they can have them far away for the circuit. I mean, I thought point is it provides drainage in the event of rain?

However, that it was so obviously a poor job is concerning. When you add on top of that the V8 scenario, thus showing they have failed ot rectify a known issue, it makes it more disturbing. Certainly, I would hope the incdent is going to be investigated by the FIA.

Also, off-topic I know, but safety related, did anyone else think the stewards were sub-standard?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1435607)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Btw, the issue is also discussed (albeit briefly) HERE.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:30 (Ref:1435610)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's very strange. And to my knowledge, FIA inspects all the aspects covering a Grand Prix, so how it could be "passed" ?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:41 (Ref:1435614)   #5
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Oops, thanks Bononi. Luckily I covered myself in my opening paragraph. Feel free to close/merge this thread.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1435620)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Are you thanking Bononi for my hardwork at providing a link? Not that it matters, of course.

I think it merits its own thread.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1435624)   #7
MRJUCY
Veteran

Australia
At the pub
MRJUCY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After the huge damage it did to the V8 Supercar I was amazed it hadn't been rectified before the F1 showed up as in an open wheeler this could have very easily been a tragedy. Imagine if a car had been behind Montoya & the grate was flicked up at the following driver they wouldn't have even seen it coming.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 03:11 (Ref:1435628)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Can anybody explain how these things are normally put together in the 99.99% of times there are no problems?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 03:43 (Ref:1435644)   #9
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the V8 Supercar incident was with a manhole cover - but a water drain/grate.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...104588_3mg.jpg

And for those who didn't see the damage - here it is.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/st...104588_2mg.jpg

That hole started just below the driver's seat - putting a dent in the kevlar seat.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 03:45 (Ref:1435646)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, twig, I think we are talking about the same thing, that is a water drain/grate. By that I mean i don't think the F1 incident was literally a manhole cover, or at least I presumed that......why would there need to be a manhole at that point?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 04:36 (Ref:1435660)   #11
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Are you thanking Bononi for my hardwork at providing a link? Not that it matters, of course.

I think it merits its own thread.
Lack of sleep over the weekend due to a newborn baby has left me confusing users. Sorry about that, Chief.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 04:58 (Ref:1435665)   #12
windsok
Rookie

Australia
wollongong.nsw.au
windsok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah im quite sure that what montoya hit is the same thing that the V8 hit, when the marshal picked it up off the track, it looked exactly the same.

Concidering the damage it did to a V8 Supercar, if Montoya had hit it the wrong way, he could have easily been seriously injured, or killed.

Bad effort China!
Old 17 Oct 2005, 05:06 (Ref:1435668)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I'll let you off dixie, ;-p.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1435889)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I think someone in the Renault garage pushed a button and the drain popped up "Roadrunner stylee" as Montoya was passing!
Old 17 Oct 2005, 12:15 (Ref:1435920)   #15
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You would think that somebody would have learnt what these manhole covers/water drain/grates can do to racing cars from the original DTM Shanghai street race

To have it happen twice more is just disgraceful.

Lucky it didn't happen during the MotoGP round earlier in the year, imagine what one of these metal beasts could do to a motorcycle
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 12:25 (Ref:1435930)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Didn't the DTM hit trouble with drain covers too in china? If I remember correctly they had to be welded down before the race after they'd been kicked up in practice.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 13:19 (Ref:1435980)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They did indeed - but that was a street circuit, not this track.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 15:01 (Ref:1436063)   #18
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tilke says that the cover was not properly locked down. Kimi also says that he saw the cover was loose and avoided the kerb as a result.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1436095)   #19
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
I think someone in the Renault garage pushed a button and the drain popped up "Roadrunner stylee" as Montoya was passing!
I like this theory - at least it would save harmless Jacques from taking the wrap on this one.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1436163)   #20
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8
Lucky it didn't happen during the MotoGP round earlier in the year, imagine what one of these metal beasts could do to a motorcycle
OMG yeah it would just disintigrate!
Old 17 Oct 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1436167)   #21
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Presumably it would not have come loose in such a way with motorbikes, seeing as they don't have the downforce etc.?
Old 17 Oct 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1436174)   #22
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Probably a better chance of seeing it on a bike too.

Very nasty though, as the Aussie V8 pics show (opened that car up like a tin can). From the footage, you could tell a couple of drivers had concsiously avoided it, but there was bound to be someone who didn't, and the onboard footage from JPM's car showed just how difficult it would be to see form the driver's seat (lower down than the camera).
Old 17 Oct 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1436260)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 XR8

Whilst it doesn't bear thinking about one thing i would say about it is.. The drain cover was very likely "sucked out" by Pizzonia's car as he went over it, a bike isn't likely to be able to do that... fortunately.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1436302)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was thinking this morning, if Kimi saw the loose cover the lap before, why didn't he get on the radio to warn the team?

Another great example of the teamwork between the McLaren drivers......JPM is reluctant to give up the wins and Kimi stays silent when he see's a car destroying object on track!

I guess he just either thought it would be moved by the next lap, or he thought it was something insignificant and not a threat to the car.
Old 17 Oct 2005, 20:13 (Ref:1436370)   #25
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
His race really went down the drain!
Closed Thread