Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 11 Oct 2005, 11:56 (Ref:1430640)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Panoz Gets 2007 Chassis Contract

The Indy Star reports that Panoz will be announced as the new Champ Car chassis builder for 2007, and that the package will have an additional 25 hp via the Cosworth engine (775 hp)...

Panoz said that they can deliver a quality chassis for less $$$ than Lola can, which was a big factor in the decision that will be announced at a news conference today...

BTW...the other series announced extensions of their existing agreements with Panoz and Dallara through 2006...and it was implied that they consented to let Panoz supply chassis to both series if they wish...

Where does that leave Carl Haas and Lola???

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 12:44 (Ref:1430683)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One wonders (and hopes) that running effectively interchangeable cars in an effectively interchangeable pair of series in one territory might carry implications about reunification (at last) in 2007 or 08
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1430720)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps in 2008 or 9 the series will be strong enough that they can let Lola compete with Panoz. If it's more expensive it would be up to the teams whether it was an advantage or not.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1430722)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by josvandeperre
One wonders (and hopes) that running effectively interchangeable cars in an effectively interchangeable pair of series in one territory might carry implications about reunification (at last) in 2007 or 08

That assumes that Panoz will stay with the other Series in 2007...and that is still not decided...at all...and I would not assume that they will...

IIRC, only 3 teams run the Panoz chassis in the IRL

Rahal-Letterman

Fernandez

Ganassi

That's 8 cars out of a 22-car field....although Ganassi sure has gone through quite a few of them this year...11 if you count the two Haas cars and Sam Schmidt at Indy....

If you could supply every team in one Series with cars, or 1/3 of the field with cars in the other, where would your focus be as a builder???

Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:43 (Ref:1430726)   #5
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl...510110435/1052

Just read it, Tim, and that was MY first question.....will Haas and Lola enter the IRL picture in '07 because of this? The IRL turned Penske down for building his own in the last chassis deal but this changes the climate. What will be the prices in '06 at the Lola parts truck at the CC races? This may explain the rumor that Ganassi pulled back a couple of his Lola show cars....he may be selling 'em to CC teams to run or use as spares next year. They're flower pots after next year. And there's no chance now that the CC chassis can be evolutionary so the teams will have a big bill to start the '07 season.

Lot of dynamics goin' on in this one.......
Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1430730)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
There are many implications....

But IIRC, a new Lola chassis goes for about $450,000 USD, whereas the Panoz IRL roller chassis is priced at $330,000 or so....

There is a big difference in price there....

Old 11 Oct 2005, 13:55 (Ref:1430737)   #7
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's about right as I recall, Tim..........we don't know how close Lola's new bid was for CC, or what Panoz bid, though. And these teams haven't had to pay even that for a chassis for several years now. Lot of money involved either way.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 14:12 (Ref:1430746)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
Perhaps in 2008 or 9 the series will be strong enough that they can let Lola compete with Panoz. If it's more expensive it would be up to the teams whether it was an advantage or not.

I think having a spec chassis is the way for ChampCar now.

Why add a costly variable?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1430762)   #9
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do wonder if this deal isn't there on the back of some promises from Don to get more deeply involved in CCWS. He's exactly the kind of guy who can elevate the profile of the series....
Old 11 Oct 2005, 14:36 (Ref:1430767)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps Lola will focus on sportscars.

... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 11 Oct 2005, 15:40 (Ref:1430819)   #11
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe Penske will as well...

whatever it seems to be a time of great change in the US that is going to impact other series in the coming year.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 15:50 (Ref:1430830)   #12
indycool
Veteran

Well, here be the announcement......

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=9727
Old 11 Oct 2005, 17:24 (Ref:1430920)   #13
extreme
Rookie

Canada
Edmonton, AB
extreme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That article doesnt make it sound like there is going to be another engine manufacture other than ford in '07 either...
Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1430967)   #14
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
maybe Penske will as well...

whatever it seems to be a time of great change in the US that is going to impact other series in the coming year.

Why?????

Penske's team races with Dallara chassis in the IRL....and apparently, the Panoz people met with the IRL yesterday about this, and about extending their current agreement for 2006....

If the IRL doesn't have a problem with them supplying both Series, why wouldn't Panoz Motorsports group do both???

Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:01 (Ref:1430968)   #15
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
Perhaps Lola will focus on sportscars.

Since their LMP2 seems to be the car to beat in that class, and the new LMP1 is in the works for 2006, sounds like a great place to make money to me....

Old 11 Oct 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1430980)   #16
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would not be very surprised to see the IRL adapt the same package, engine and all. This would solve a multitude of problems: it would allow both groups to do their thing, then meet at Indy for a showdown. ...It would create a lot of excitement and allow the IRL 'somewhat' gracefull exit from its engine problems.

What do you think?
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:38 (Ref:1431070)   #17
Uesque
Racer

Ukraine
Pittsburgh, PA
Uesque should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Another advantage is the addition of an on-board starter which will allow for less yellow-flag time during events. "

That's been a complaint forever.
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan poope kudasai!
Old 11 Oct 2005, 19:48 (Ref:1431080)   #18
Ac.
Racer

Canada
Waterloo, Ont.
Ac. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman-normal
I would not be very surprised to see the IRL adapt the same package, engine and all. This would solve a multitude of problems: it would allow both groups to do their thing, then meet at Indy for a showdown. ...It would create a lot of excitement and allow the IRL 'somewhat' gracefull exit from its engine problems.

What do you think?
I think it is wishful thinking. For the IRL to adopt the same chassis and engine package would be to admit defeat in the war of wills. It would be more likely for the engine woes and other difficulties facing the IRL (sponsorship exiting the series, teams possibly folding or defecting) to seriously damage the series before we see the two move together.

Even then, I'm not sure that we will see a reconcilliation. After all, Champ Car was lifeless on the table when some team owners decided it was worth saving. Perhaps someone has a crystal ball we can consult.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 20:24 (Ref:1431130)   #19
indycool
Veteran

I, too, believe it's wishful thinking. It's more likely that Lola, kicked out of CC, would head to IRL. Panoz has only three customers in the IRL running their cars and none are running at the front. Whether Panoz continues in IRL or not might well depend on its ability to create a "better mousetrap."
Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1431194)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's kind of a shame that Lola was, em, shunted out of the way like this. Lola has been an important part of Champ Car racing for the last 15 years or so...
Old 11 Oct 2005, 21:31 (Ref:1431211)   #21
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As much as a chassis competition I'd like to see, at the end of the day a single chassis such as Panoz as the soul supplier is the best thing for Champ Car, and what is best for Champ Car then I am happy.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1431293)   #22
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!

Quote:
David Bowes:

The new car will be four or five inches shorter than the current one and we're thinking about reducing the track by three inches on each side but keeping the sidepods the same width to help avoid the interlocking of wheels. We'll use the underbody to deliver the downforce requirements that have been set (more aggressive tunnels, vortex generators, rear diffusers), reduce the size of the wings and still generate more downforce. This also allows driving closer together without dirty air and makes for a more nimble, racier car on a street circuit but it still retains its performance.
The chassis will be 165 lbs lighter, the engine 25hp greater.

Quote:
SpeedTV:

Other important novelties are the addition of an on-board starter, the possibility to add F1-style carbon-fiber brakes, and improved crash protection for drivers, including a rear structure suitable for oval events (hinting that schedule diversity remains a priority for the series’ honchos).
All pictures and quotes culled from SpeedTV's website.

Jordi...
Next year (their last) will mark Lola's 23rd consecutive year in ChampCar.
Old 11 Oct 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1431325)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Jordi...
Next year (their last) will mark Lola's 23rd consecutive year in ChampCar.
There you go... they've been in Champ Car for more than I've been anywhere!

I suppose it's me finding change difficult to accept, but that Lola, as much as I disliked it back in 2002, it grew on me. Those sidepods were aggressive.

The Panoz, in that simulated image, looks like an Infiniti Pro Series car. Hopefully reality will look better than fiction!
Old 12 Oct 2005, 00:20 (Ref:1431344)   #24
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uesque
"Another advantage is the addition of an on-board starter which will allow for less yellow-flag time during events. "

That's been a complaint forever.
Excellent.

I'm disapointed about the loss of Lola however.
Old 12 Oct 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1431349)   #25
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All my expectations have been met on this chassis, especially the aero,starters and pricing. Still looks like a Champ Car and we've retained the turbo. Can't see any downside.