Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 14 Sep 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1710323)   #1
scrutineer
Racer

scrutineer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How tight are you???

Dont worry this thread is not questioning your spending
But how tight do you belt yourself in? After many years of watching drivers getting ready in the assembly area I was wondering how tight you belt up. I have seen many that seem to have lose belts and others who breath out and pull as hard as they can. As drivers what do you do?
Old 14 Sep 2006, 17:02 (Ref:1710332)   #2
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Tight as I can get them
Old 14 Sep 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1710348)   #3
skmanuk
Racer

England
skmanuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
Tight as I can get them

and then pull "again"
Old 14 Sep 2006, 17:41 (Ref:1710356)   #4
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I pull them tight as they can get, then breathe out then put on them again!

My Dad gets one of our mechanics to do them up for him, then tighten them right up, he goes on at me if I "swing" on them!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 17:44 (Ref:1710360)   #5
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmanuk
and then pull "again"
The same for me. While marshalling (rescue) I've seen a lot of mishaps. I don't take any risks.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 17:55 (Ref:1710369)   #6
johnw
Veteran

England
Chichester - 1/2 mile from Goodwood
johnw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FT
Old 14 Sep 2006, 18:22 (Ref:1710386)   #7
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
IMHO drivers who go for loose belts are doing the classic "driving by the seat of their pants". That's all very well, but personally I prefer the whole body approach. If you do your belts up really tight you can much more accurately feel the traction of the tyres on the track.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1710489)   #8
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prior to my HANS device, probably not tight enough.

With the HANS device, as tight as I can do them. In short I can't move! The HANS device spreads the load and stops it being uncomfortable.

Knew the HANS was good for something!
Old 14 Sep 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1710490)   #9
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Oh yeah, and totally agree with dtype38, I reckon it made the car easier to drive because I wasn't being flung about.
Old 14 Sep 2006, 21:07 (Ref:1710509)   #10
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Having a car designed for multi-driver racing - with a sliding seat, I first of all do the lap /crutch strap, and slid the seat forward into position (and up an octave on the voice!), then I set about the shoulder straps, like Denis, with the HANS, and like JohnW going FT, if not 4FT.

I see so many people get into their cars, and just "put their belts on" like a set of braces (elasticated!).

I bet that prompted the question.

Rob.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 06:35 (Ref:1710698)   #11
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As tight as they will go, when I was in single seaters I would usually have bruises on my shoulders after the weekend from the belt pushing down on them, I dont know if thats too tight but it only has to work once to be worth it!

Quote:
My Dad gets one of our mechanics to do them up for him, then tighten them right up, he goes on at me if I "swing" on them!
Im not a big lad but my mechanic used to put one foot on my stomach and close my lap strap! Snug as a bug!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:24 (Ref:1710825)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
quite loose. I move about a lot when driving. Dunno why
Old 15 Sep 2006, 09:42 (Ref:1710835)   #13
johnw
Veteran

England
Maybe cos your belts are loose?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1710896)   #14
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I used to feel uncomfortable with tight belts, until you get moving, then you never notice, so I always go tight. if your racing the last thing you notice is the belts etc, they actually help rather than hinder IMO
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:05 (Ref:1710899)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sam you're belts aren't loose when I do them! I pull his as tight as I can without trying to hurt him at the same time, he hates wearing those belts that come up between your legs until he got told off at Silverstone so now does. I found them fine when I tried the,.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 11:41 (Ref:1710930)   #16
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
i pull them up tight as I set out but they always seem to be looser again when I finish the race, maybe its to do with loosing a bit of weight during the race but I doubt it:-)
Old 15 Sep 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1711004)   #17
Doc Hollywood
Racer

Ireland
Dublin, Ireland
Doc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDoc Hollywood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I pull his as tight as I can without trying to hurt him at the same time.
God help anyone who comes in to this thread without reading the first few posts!

Old 15 Sep 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1711036)   #18
johnw
Veteran

England
Excellent
Old 15 Sep 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1711070)   #19
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hehe sorry!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 15:30 (Ref:1711157)   #20
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
As a knats chuff.....
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 16:57 (Ref:1711233)   #21
Jamie G
Racer

England
Faversham, Kent
Jamie G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As tight as I can get them - I didn't realise until after Rockingham how much effort goes into your neck and shoulders with your belt done up properly (The only reason I did them up that tight was cos Rockingham was scary!).

Can't understand wanting to be flung around - I have enough things to worry about without that!
Old 15 Sep 2006, 18:04 (Ref:1711268)   #22
phansa88
Racer

England
gravesend
phansa88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As tight as physicly possible with out crushing to much by the way how do you guys get on with a hans and how much roughly to buy or should say best place to buy?
Old 15 Sep 2006, 20:56 (Ref:1711390)   #23
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
The HANS was a bit weird at first but now used to it. It has caused some small problems with head movement when in awkward positions such as rejoining after an off or trying to talk to a marshall on the startline but nothing a bit of thought and care won't get round.

I now have a nice little routine developed getting in the car so I don't even need external assistance any more.

I bought mine off a ten tenthers site (http://www.msar-safety.com/). Unfortunately the mark up is so low that nobody can give much of a discount.

I have the Scroth version.
Old 15 Sep 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1711421)   #24
andypipe
Veteran

England
Essex
andypipe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmanuk
and then pull "again"
Ditto
Old 18 Sep 2006, 01:13 (Ref:1712568)   #25
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
Sam you're belts aren't loose when I do them! I pull his as tight as I can without trying to hurt him at the same time, he hates wearing those belts that come up between your legs until he got told off at Silverstone so now does. I found them fine when I tried the,.
I find the 6 point more comfortable as the buckle doesn't creep up after driving a bit (like Al said, belts loosen off a little) and it ieasier to get the hips nice a solid, the shoulder belts take car of them selves after that.

Anyway, tight as I reasonably can.