Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2007, 14:24 (Ref:1946349)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The potential of Sutil?

Adrian Sutil is getting some hype lately. He has dominated his Spyker teammate this year and his boss is touting him as a future rival to LH (see link below). Does he have it to be an F1 star?

http://www.totalf1.com/view-article.php?newsid=213239
Old 25 Jun 2007, 14:37 (Ref:1946358)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kolles has various reasons to say this, one of them beeing that they have a multi year deal with Sutil wich will cost a great deal of money to buy off for any top team that wants his services.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 14:41 (Ref:1946363)   #3
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve nielsen
Kolles has various reasons to say this, one of them beeing that they have a multi year deal with Sutil wich will cost a great deal of money to buy off for any top team that wants his services.
A valid point, but Sutil is quick regardless. He certainly has a bright future if he can maintain his pace and keep it out of the wall.

Despite what some may say, Albers has won in DTM and had two solid yet unremarkable seasons in F1. He's a reasonable yardstick for a young rookie, and Sutil has eclipsed him with ease.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 14:45 (Ref:1946365)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
DTM is hardly a series you can compare to F1, ever seen the F1 results of "Mr DTM" Bernd Schneider??
Old 25 Jun 2007, 14:53 (Ref:1946369)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
DTM is hardly a series you can compare to F1, ever seen the F1 results of "Mr DTM" Bernd Schneider??
Well, comparisons with DTM aren't wholly accurate, I'll grant you, but it is highly competitive, and the fact that Albers showed well in the category makes him a better proposition than many other F1 backmarkers of recent years.

He's no Zsolt Baumgartner, let's put it that way.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:00 (Ref:1946374)   #6
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Not that I think Albers is WDC material, but have you ever seen the results of Hakkinen and Alesi in DTM?
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:06 (Ref:1946379)   #7
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
Yes I have, that's what I'm saying, it's al whole different series, beeing good in DTM does'nt mean you're good in F1 and also the other way round.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:11 (Ref:1946384)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
I wish I hadn’t mentioned the DTM now!

Back on topic, Sutil has shown well in the lower formulae, and has looked swift in the Spyker. I’d say he has a future in F1. Whether he'll develop into a title challenger or not is almost impossible to say.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:43 (Ref:1946410)   #9
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
as long as he keeps it on the tarmac he should be able to move up(Toyota??)
Old 25 Jun 2007, 15:50 (Ref:1946413)   #10
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans
I wish I hadn’t mentioned the DTM now!
Sorry!

He has surprised me in F1, cause I didn't think he was that special in other formulas.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 16:56 (Ref:1946485)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Despite lack of coverage, when you look in depth at his performances there is a star on the rise. He has certainly made Albers look surplus to requirements lately.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 18:59 (Ref:1946620)   #12
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
look at it this way...remember a certain Mr Alonso hardly ever finishing a race in the Minardi in 2001, but still outperformed his teammate and sometimes other teams like Benetton? It's all relative, so yes, I for one think Sutil has a lot of POTENTIAL....because that's the operative word - you cant say much more than that in reality because lets face it, even our Lewis is an unknown quantity in a difficult car.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1946636)   #13
cds_uk
Veteran

England
Kesgrave, Suffolk, UK
cds_uk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Credit where its due he has seen off Albers which was number one on his to do list, he has been mixing it with the other teams in the races which is another plus point for him, but to be fair he has visited the wall once or twice as well, not convinced yet, promising start though.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 19:59 (Ref:1946670)   #14
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Outpacing his team mate in qualifying and in races is something I think.

and yes, I would like to see him in a better car to see if he passes the 2nd test. The first one, he already did imo.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 20:28 (Ref:1946696)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sutil does appear very good. Lewis rates him apparently, which is something and he has blown away Albers.

OK, fine, my grandad could outpace Albers despite the fact he is dead, but Sutil is doing it by a massive margin that will get him noticed.

Good on him. Please fulfil your "potential".
Old 25 Jun 2007, 22:00 (Ref:1946809)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In his defence, both he and Albers are crashing frequently, so it might just be a difficult car to drive close to its limit (which isn't too fast anyway). He may have lost 15-2 on wins to Lewis in their F3 season as team-mates, but he was a rookie and I expect he came 2nd to Lewis a lot (http://www.driverdb.com/racingdriver279.html says he had 11 podiums - as we've seen this year, there's no shame losing to Lewis). He could be a neat driver, but anything Colin Kolles says should be taken with all the salt in the Red Sea.
Old 25 Jun 2007, 22:13 (Ref:1946819)   #17
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:

Given the break's Schneider would have won plenty of F1 races, as would Kristensen etc.

In fact you could interchange the vast majority of F1 drivers with the best out of other disciplines, and they'd do equaly as well.

Only the likes of Hamilton, Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Mansell etc. stand above the rest.

Last edited by JAG; 25 Jun 2007 at 22:15.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 07:18 (Ref:1946977)   #18
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Sutil's got some talent, but some of his rookie mistakes and lack of coaching could have come as a result of skipping GP2. He couldve been putting on alot better show had he done 1-2 years there
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:54 (Ref:1947052)   #19
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerben24
Not that I think Albers is WDC material, but have you ever seen the results of Hakkinen and Alesi in DTM?
All the lack of success of Schneider in F1, and the lack of success of those two in DTM shows is how to the two categories are not really comparable. They use similar skills, but by no means the same.

Sutil definately has talent. However, I still harbor only one major concern about him.

Code:
Formula 3 Euroseries 2005
1.    Lewis Hamilton        ASM    161
2.    Adrian Sutil        ASM    94
At that stage, they also have very similar previous experience, so neither was at a particular advantage.

Of course, looking at Alonso, it appears losing to Hamilton is nothing to be ashamed of. But still; from that result, winning the WDC could only really be because of the car for Sutil.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 08:56 (Ref:1947055)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sev
Code:
Formula 3 Euroseries 2005
1.    Lewis Hamilton        ASM    161
2.    Adrian Sutil        ASM    94
At that stage, they also have very similar previous experience, so neither was at a particular advantage.
I think I'm right in saying that Lewis was in his second year of Euroseries, with Sutil being in his first, which gives him an obvious advantage. Lewis's debut season in F3 was relatively mediocre, by his high standards.

Edit: Actually scratch that. A quick glance at Wiki reveals that it was also Sutil's second year. He competed in 2004 for Colin Kolles' outift. It also reveals that, like Cevert and De Angelis before him, Sutil is something of a talented pianist.

Last edited by Super Hans; 26 Jun 2007 at 08:59.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 10:17 (Ref:1947120)   #21
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Reminds me of when they used to compare HHF with MS, we all know what happend there.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 10:26 (Ref:1947125)   #22
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by amier
Reminds me of when they used to compare HHF with MS, we all know what happend there.
Yes, MS ran off with HHF's missus.

Watch out Lewis.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1947511)   #23
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya used to run in DTM, too, at the same time as Magnussen, Franchitti and Fisichella. If I remember correctly, Franchitti got the highest points score of the 4 back then, but never made it to F1, whilst all the others did. I guess Montoya benefits from his previous touring car experiences now in NasCar.

Alesi and Hakkinen both did OK in DTM, as did Christian Danner. Bernd Schneider needed some time to warm up to the series, but then stole the "Mr DTM" title from Klaus Ludwig. Heinz-Harald Frentzen took the hard road by joining the troubled Opel crew, and in turn failed to make much of an impression in DTM, whereas ex-Lotus pay-nonqualifier Michael Bartels has won several races in the series. Oh, and of course, Keke Rosberg himself has performed OK, too, in DTM. But Eric Van Der Poele, Hans-Joachim Stuck, Johnny Cecotto and Nicola Larini all won titles in DTM, and not much in F1.

That makes it difficult to say whether good performances in DTM are an indicator for success in F1 and vice versa.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 19:11 (Ref:1947514)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think JPM only made one guest appearance for the Silverstone DTM races (1996) so it wasn't really significant experience.

DTM is not an indicator at all for F1 I'd say. Because few go from DTM to F1 in any case, it's usually the other way round which isn't really the same.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 26 Jun 2007 at 19:15.
Old 26 Jun 2007, 19:43 (Ref:1947541)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I think JPM only made one guest appearance for the Silverstone DTM races (1996) so it wasn't really significant experience.
Didn't know that. And to think just the other day I was saying to someone how I'd never seen him race. I have!