Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:18 (Ref:1246420)   #1
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Toyota and Jarno Trulli at the Australian GP

This performance seems to have been overlooked.

Started on the front row, ran second for a while, ended up ninth.

What do we make of it?

Toyota not a consistent car for racing?

Trulli unable to defend?
Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:26 (Ref:1246425)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agree it was lost in the JV/DC furore.

I'm not surprised by this because IMO Ralf seems to have the team behind him and this is a big impact to Trulli.

He was very lack lustre though wasn't he? Seems like last year when he went off the pace after being upset by Flav. Also the car may not be as good as the Renault so he's got to work a bit harder to make it go.

Saying that he outqualified Ralf (weather) who then had problems in the race.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1246437)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Toyota's race review:

http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/2005...e/press01.html

Tsutomu Tomita - Team Principal
"We are naturally disappointed that we could not convert our front row qualifying result into points this afternoon. We had a very competitive first stint. Jarno was able to retain second and keep pace with the leader. But after his first pit stop, one of his rear tyres blistered and that meant he struggled thereafter, especially in the middle stint, dropping him out of the points. Ralf had a great first lap. After his first refueling stop, his seat belt became loose, so he had to pit for an adjustment. His final two stints showed the true pace of the car with some competitive running. There are many positives from the weekend. We scored our best ever qualifying result with Jarno starting the race from second place. Starting the race from the front row was fantastic to witness and particularly pleasing for the top executives from Toyota who joined us today. Additionally, I am encouraged by the performance of the TF105. Even with the problems that we encountered during the race, the car's reliability was excellent and we were able to finish the race on the same lap as the winner. Compared to last year, when we finished two laps down, I think that demonstrates the progress we have made over the last twelve months. And there is plenty more to come. With the new engine regulations in place, we have enjoyed a totally trouble-free weekend here in Melbourne with our RVX-05 and Toyota has no concerns for the next Grand Prix in Malaysia."

Taking positive spin to new levels when you have to claim finishing on the same lap as the leader as an achievement.....

Trulli's View:

"The start of the race was very special, having secured Panasonic Toyota Racing's best ever qualifying result and first front row position in this morning's qualifying session. I got away well, kept my second place into the first corner and had a good first stint, fighting at the front. After my pit stop, I had a problem with the rear tyre which dropped me down the field and unfortunately out of contention for points. Yes, it is a shame that we lost a good opportunity to score points, but I have been encouraged by the TF105's performance over the weekend and we head to Malaysia where we will try to make up for the disappointment today."
Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:44 (Ref:1246438)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
The question is why did his tyres go off? Was it a car induced problem or did he overdrive it early on?

Last edited by BertMk2; 8 Mar 2005 at 09:48. Reason: I'm slower at posting than ST!!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1246440)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ralf's race review:

http://www.toyota-f1.com/public/2005...e/press01.html

"It is a pity because I had a great start and all was going well. I could not overtake at the beginning unfortunately, because it was not possible to get close enough to make a move. Then I had a problem with the seat belt which forced me to visit the pit once more. By then, the race was over for me, but I kept on pushing because you never know what can happen in Melbourne. I want to compliment the whole team for their outstanding efforts. The car was in good shape with a good balance and the pit stops were well executed. We could have had a great result today."

He was 15th on the grid, he's not much of a fighter through the pack as a rule, so was unlikely to do much from there.

Last edited by Super Tourer; 8 Mar 2005 at 09:49.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 09:54 (Ref:1246441)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Agreed but saying that none of the rearguard made any progress in the first stint. Except Alonso.

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 8 Mar 2005 at 09:54.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 10:51 (Ref:1246482)   #7
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, difficult really to draw many conclusions - the same for JV and DC, IMHO.

The changeable conditions in qualy 1 meant that Trulli had the best of the conditions when compared to Ralf, so he put his car on pole. Very doubtful that Trulli would have qualified so highly if others weren't compromised by the weather.

I think it's only fair to give it a few races to see what the true pace of the Toyota is. It's difficult to read too much into one race result.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1246496)   #8
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
It seemed like Alonso was in a different race to everyone else, overtaking, locking brakes etc, he was the only one to provide any excitement.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1246504)   #9
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everyone else were too concerned about their tyres. In my opinion the drivers should not be treating the race in this way. They must attack (within reason) and if the tyres don't last then that's a problem for the tyre company to fix.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1246520)   #10
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What I always think about Jarno is that he is an exceptional qualifier (IIRC he has a few impressive front row positions in cars that had no business up there).

his races are usually spent slipping backwards as the car finds its natural level.

I guess the alternative view is that he cannot drive on his special qualifying pace for an entire race distance.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 11:57 (Ref:1246544)   #11
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the quality of the cars that overhauled him, I think Jarno did okay, although I suspect had it been Ralf who started at the front and Jarno in midfield the respective results would've been better. Toyota didn't look as strong as RBR, which is slightly surprising. All the teams are trying to find the limits of the new tyre regulations, and it seems like Toyota suffered as much as anyone.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 12:09 (Ref:1246555)   #12
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tyre problems at Toyota are not that new.

Maybe Mr Gascoyne is not that genius many people believe.

Last edited by climb; 8 Mar 2005 at 12:10.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1246608)   #13
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
Maybe Mr Gascoyne is not that genius many people believe.
Some people have been saying that for a while.....

He has a very good nack for joining teams at just the right time. He did it with Jordan, then Renault.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:47 (Ref:1247041)   #14
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes!

It's quite a 'nack' to arrange to get job offers, (as opposed to having to apply) from teams whose management structures were failing and then for the problems to just sort themselves out while he drank coffee.

Oh, and that old 'nack' is at it again, as noted that Toyota finished 'in the running' in Aus as opposed to being 2 laps behind last year.

I wish I had that 'nack'.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1247051)   #15
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its typical Trulli, qualifies will, starts off well and then fades away!
Old 8 Mar 2005, 22:17 (Ref:1247179)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Go and watch last year's Monaco weekend, esor.

Is rear tyrewear not the precise issue Jarno raised in testing?

Why, yes it is.

What do you know!!!

Last edited by mac; 8 Mar 2005 at 22:19.
Old 8 Mar 2005, 23:05 (Ref:1247212)   #17
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
quite right Mac - Trulli ran away from DC in the opening laps. Without whatever tyre problem it was, Rubens and Alonso were going to find it alot harder to catch him than they did DC. A podium was on the cards.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 06:53 (Ref:1247396)   #18
markysjag
Rookie

Australia
hobart australia
markysjag should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli needs more fitness maybe?
Old 9 Mar 2005, 07:10 (Ref:1247403)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think it was a stamina problem.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 09:41 (Ref:1247478)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trulli does have a reputation for not finishing off races, but I don't think that was the case here. The reputation has some basis, but as most things this is almost now accepted as fact in every race. Rather than just every so often, which is a mroe true reflection on that situation.

I don't think Melbourne was anything to do with that though. The tyres are known to be a problem on the Toyota. Although looking at the fastest laps both Ralf and Jarno set their fastest laps on lap 56!
Looking more closely at their race pace:

We see Trulli has a shocking second stint that is way slower than the first or last and erratic too (although there were backmarkers). He was also overtaken by Alonso in this stint. He didn't appear to be stuck behind someone. Did they change pressures at the second stop? Although maybe there is a hint of slowing at the end of the first stint, despite the fuel load getting lighter.

Ralf, in contrast, seemed to get quicker and quicker through the race - hinting at no tyre problems for him.

So in conclusion the reason behind the problem is unknown. A tyre phase or Jarno being asleep in the second stint? Who knows?

Last edited by Adam43; 9 Mar 2005 at 09:41.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 09:55 (Ref:1247488)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good comparison there Adam.

The lesser speed for Ralf at the beginning could be the same reasons as those for Michael and Kimi. Just not able to push too early.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1247491)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

I wonder if David Coulthard or Mark Webber, in that Toyota, starting 2nd on the grid, would have scored points.

I think they would.
Old 9 Mar 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1247572)   #23
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
adam . could we have such a graph for all the teams ?? ;

Ciao Marco
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1247615)   #24
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
great graphic, show alot of the situation, perhaps trulli is simply heavy footed to start and hasn't learned to finesse the car through a race distance... or clearly
good showing, i was sure of a podium until well he dissappeared.
slow is faster... i am sure Trulli knows that
Old 9 Mar 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1247647)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm, what a double standard that's always applied on this forum...
So obvious...