Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 Nov 2003, 21:58 (Ref:796463)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Pointless Barcelona track changes...

Just read over on F1-Live that the Catalunya track has had some modifications done to it...

http://f1.racing-live.com/en/headlin...27190628.shtml
Old 27 Nov 2003, 22:20 (Ref:796479)   #2
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus a stupid chicane at the penultimate corner, supossedly to improve slipstreaming and overtaking down the main straight? :confused:

I agree, these changes are COMPLETELY POINTLESS!!! I bet it's that idiot Tilke that's behind them, on his quest for the mallestation of all flowing and enjoyable race tracks.

When will people realise that these kind of improvements don't add to the racing or driving experience whatsoever?!?!
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 27 Nov 2003, 23:30 (Ref:796524)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Certainly doesn't add to the driving experience. Slow chicanes, pah.
However there is some logic in the overtaking. The problem before was that you couldn't get close enough getting onto the straight because on the dirty air from that corner. Now that will be lessened. (this sort of assumes the final corner is flat).

I doubt it'll make much difference though!

So are they testing on that now?
Old 27 Nov 2003, 23:43 (Ref:796532)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I haven't heard they have inserted a chicane before the last corner.

I know they planned a chicane there some time ago but the current news story makes no mention of this alteration, can anyone confirm the existance of a new chicane before the final turn?

Last edited by Sodemo; 27 Nov 2003 at 23:45.
Old 27 Nov 2003, 23:58 (Ref:796538)   #5
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with AdamAshmore that the chicanes in the penultimate corner will probably encourage overtaking into the first turn if it helps to take the final turn flat out.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 07:10 (Ref:796742)   #6
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard not too long after the news of the chicane insertion - that it would not be used. So you can forget about that - and especially about discussing aerodynamics again fellas!

I thought the new track changes are into the entry of La Caixa. Instead of being a long left hander which gets less tight as it goes on, into a sharper left, into another left hander. I dont think it will really change much.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 07:17 (Ref:796755)   #7
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK, then that begs the question: WHAT'S THE POINT?
Old 28 Nov 2003, 10:49 (Ref:796925)   #8
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While i'm against stupid piddling little changes when what's obviously needed is to throw out the whole of the current f1....
It can't really do much harm and should indeed improve things a little.
Barcelona may be awsome on a bike but for f1 it's stupidly boring as is
Old 28 Nov 2003, 12:18 (Ref:796997)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Did it bring any changes at times or speed ?
Old 28 Nov 2003, 13:04 (Ref:797053)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
OK, then that begs the question: WHAT'S THE POINT?
Here is my take:
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
However there is some logic in the overtaking. The problem before was that you couldn't get close enough getting onto the straight because on the dirty air from that corner. Now that will be lessened. (this sort of assumes the final corner is flat).
Quote:
Originally posted by Kojima_KE007
I agree with AdamAshmore that the chicanes in the penultimate corner will probably encourage overtaking into the first turn if it helps to take the final turn flat out.
Well I do still have my doubts that it will make that much difference!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bononi
Did it bring any changes at times or speed ?
where they using it, because I think Michael's time was very close to when they raced there.

Last edited by Adam43; 28 Nov 2003 at 13:04.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 16:33 (Ref:797249)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Blargh... pointless.
Old 28 Nov 2003, 18:42 (Ref:797362)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
nicely put BON!!
Old 28 Nov 2003, 19:44 (Ref:797420)   #13
Kojima_KE007
Racer

Kojima_KE007 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the same sort of change at Hungaroring's first turn produced a lot more overtaking didn't it?
Old 3 Dec 2003, 13:43 (Ref:802598)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
oooo, I was talking about something different I was on about a proposed change to the penultimate corner we saw some time ago! ha!

Anyway the work hasn't been done yet. Work will take place from 9th Dec. to mid January. The run off will be asphalt. Some of the main straight it being re-surfaced too. (see this weeks Autosport).