Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Jan 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1504660)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Imola to get a revamp...

According to Autosport.com, Imola is going to get a track revamp in order to try and rekindle some of its former glory.

These plans include bypassing the Bassa chicane and I believe some changes to Villeneuve / Tosa corners.

Incidentally, these same changes were proposed back in 2001 but nothing was done, and the matter was seemingly dropped.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 21:31 (Ref:1504731)   #2
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope that happens, becasue the track is in urgent need of a makeover. If nothing is done, I don't think it justifies its place on the F1 calendar.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 21:39 (Ref:1504737)   #3
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Ah, cool.

A reconfiguration is long overdue.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 21:45 (Ref:1504746)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just hope it works.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 22:40 (Ref:1504776)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, I suppose whether it "works" or not depends on what people are wanting achieved by it.

I'm just after a faster, more flowing circuit.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 22:54 (Ref:1504788)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Too bad they're getting rid of the wrong chicane, but let's see if this proposed configuration works before condemning it.
Although leaving out Bassa wouldn't do much difference, I think.

I'd rather see Villeneuve gone, and Tamburello changed back to it's pre-95 configuration, there are no houses directly next to the river so the river could be relocated just enough to be able to fit a gravel trap at Tamburello.

Easy peasy!
Old 19 Jan 2006, 23:24 (Ref:1504816)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
LEave out Bassa and the closing speed into Tamburello will be bigger. In addition Bassa will be a very quick kink and could be interesting, although possibly in cars other than F1 cars!

As for seeing Tamburello back, I'm not bothered as the corner was nothing. Although I'd prefer to remove another chicane. Although Imola does contain one of the best chicanes - Variante Alta.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 23:28 (Ref:1504822)   #8
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the one that could be done out with is Villeneuve. A corner named in honour of the great Gilles shouldn't be a slowish chicane...

Getting rid of Variante Bassa will make it one of the longest straights on the calendar.
Old 19 Jan 2006, 23:31 (Ref:1504826)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
However it will be one of those straights that isn't straight, if you see what I mean. Flat, but not straight.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 00:30 (Ref:1504856)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
With the introduction of V8's, producing slower cars, hopefully they will revert to the old "Villeneuve bend"?? Unfortunately, with the tragedy's of May 1994. imo, Imola suffered most from the "knee jerk" measures brought into F1 regarding the circuits and has suffered most for it.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 00:58 (Ref:1504872)   #11
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The old Villeneuve bend wouldnt be that fast if the tamburello chicane is maintained
Old 20 Jan 2006, 01:08 (Ref:1504879)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
You could have both, if the excecution was done correctly.

Here is my 2 min mock up of how they could approach Tamburello and Tosa...

Old 20 Jan 2006, 02:04 (Ref:1504899)   #13
coldtyre
Rookie

France
Paris
coldtyre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good idea TheMonster, but I think it's necessary to slow down cars before Tosa (the gravel trap is too tiny). No way to get there at 340 kph!
Removing variante bassa would be interesting, but the straight becomes too narrow after the start. Having a larger track would allow some overtaking moves there (remember the awesome Montoya manoeuver on Trulli in 2001, from the outside in Tamburello?)
But since 1995, this track is BORING. It is NOT a F1 track. Speed rarely exceeds 300, chicanes everywhere, a track where a man racing 5 seconds slower can block (Fernando vs Michael...)
Imola should be modified, or simply removed.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 08:54 (Ref:1505018)   #14
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's Tamburello and Villeneuve that need straightening out, but this proposed change may work.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 10:09 (Ref:1505062)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Here are 2 options/proposals from their website.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1505094)   #16
safc_fan89
Veteran

Neither of those involve straightening any of the chicanes. One just involves ruining Rivazza.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1505099)   #17
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Both of them involve ruining Rivazza actually..
Old 20 Jan 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1505285)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Why does anything need changing with Rivazza? - always quite good to see drivers overcooking it in and out of there!

Then if Bassa is 'straightened' it'll be a good old tank from Rivazza down to Tamburello chicane!

I agree with what's been said about Villeneuve, get rid of that esses/chicane thing and let them run quicker down from Tamburello into Tosa. It'll improve outbreaking opportunities whilst still not being unecessarily dangerous speed wise.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1505345)   #19
safc_fan89
Veteran

I think Tamburello should be left alone, but one of the other two, or both even, should be bypassed. The only thing is that would substantially lower the lap time I think, so the lap could be to short time-wise. I say 'could', so don't quote me on that!!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1505373)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Here's the latest.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 18:05 (Ref:1505424)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
I think Tamburello should be left alone, but one of the other two, or both even, should be bypassed. The only thing is that would substantially lower the lap time I think, so the lap could be to short time-wise. I say 'could', so don't quote me on that!!
I would think that this would be even better from a commercial point of view, shorter laptimes = more laps in a race = more exposure for sponsors!
Old 20 Jan 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1505456)   #22
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Tamburello and Villeneuve should be restored as wel. I don't think the (lack of) run-off areas would be a great problem. On Indianapolis you don't have run-off areas either.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 21:19 (Ref:1505552)   #23
safc_fan89
Veteran

Even if the lap time is lowered, something needs to be done. The current layout is too boring and there are no real high-speed sections. F1 is much safer now, so there's no need to have all the chicanes.

Or, another idea, they could get rid of the Variante Alta. Then there is a straight from Acque Minerali to Rivazza. That could work.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 21:27 (Ref:1505561)   #24
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you want to look at other ten-tenths members edits of imola look on the imola thread in my tracks.
Old 20 Jan 2006, 21:35 (Ref:1505570)   #25
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When they put all the chicanes in and made it a stop start track, similar to a street circuit and no real runs for the engine to be stretched I have always hoped for the day that a chicane would be taken out.