Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Apr 2002, 20:29 (Ref:258420)   #1
ParkLife
Racer

ParkLife should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just How Bad is the Jordan Chassis?

In the wet, where the engine power doesn't dissadvantage too much, the Jordan looks to be quite quick.

Matin Brundle has said for the last two races that the Jordans look to be handleing very well, they are just slow. So perhaps the chassis isn't that bad after all?
Old 12 Apr 2002, 21:24 (Ref:258483)   #2
bart_jacobs
Racer

bart_jacobs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They are a lot faster than the two BAR's so it must be the engine!!!
Honda said that they will have a big update on their engines in a matter of weeks...
Old 12 Apr 2002, 22:49 (Ref:258533)   #3
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda said that the step up will be ready for Canada. The engine is undoubtably weak. Their chassis is not the best, but I feel that with an engine as good as BMW's the Honda teams should at least be able to hang with MAc's or Renaults this year.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 22:56 (Ref:258535)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Problem is, I can't see the Honda engine being anywhere near the BMW this year. And as for the chassis, it appears that it is quite good. Go Fisi!
Old 12 Apr 2002, 23:01 (Ref:258539)   #5
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If only Fisi can do the same tomorrow.... Lets hope it rains for qualifying.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 23:29 (Ref:258553)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes...the Honda motor has been a major disappointment - who would have guessed it after 2000 - the BAR's were actually not to bad through the speedtraps. Arrows has a better engine then Jordan and BAR. I have no doubts about the quality of the chassis, the bloke who designed it (forgotten his name) is a pure genius, he did the last Stewerts and the 2000 Arrows, both good nicely packaged cars.

I hope Fisi gets a good run sometime this year, just to prove how good he is...he is a MEGA fast driver...also I would like to see Sato enjoy a decent session for once.
Old 12 Apr 2002, 23:39 (Ref:258559)   #7
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the wet, Fisi is a definite threat. Look for a good performance at Monaco as well. As I recall, Fisi commented at the release that the car felt great-it's the goll-durned Honda that's so pokey.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 00:17 (Ref:258572)   #8
M Power
Racer

M Power should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan & BAR have one major flaw they both have HONDA engines

How must MR Honda feel when he see's MR Toyota come in and kick his a## all over the place!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 01:39 (Ref:258597)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
"the bloke who designed it" (the Jordan) would be Eghbal Hamidy, and he sure is a genuis. Certainly interesting that Jordan have been way ahead of BAR in the wet, of course many F1 fans rate Fisichella well, but the same goes for JV. I belvie that Jordan shouldn't've let Hamidy go, maybe it was a racially motivated decision, because his work is brilliant and speaks for itself. This said, I think tis sad that Sato has had so much hype when Justin Wilson would've ben the right man for the #10 car, Sato has frankly been hopeless so far.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 01:49 (Ref:258598)   #10
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think there's a difference when it comes to the aero package of a car when it comes to wet conditions. The tyres that makes the difference and both of them are using Bridgestone. Wet or not BAR has the worst aero package....
Old 13 Apr 2002, 01:56 (Ref:258600)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, the Jordan chassis sure looks different compared to the last few years, but the simple fact is the car is slow. Fisi and Sato have had some trouble with set-up, but by the race it's all figured out.

Honda have got to up their game, simple as that.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 02:10 (Ref:258614)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan is totally screwed up. They are still a small team and I think in many ways Eddie is over his head. Im pretty sure the Honda deal will disappear soon and Jordan will go back to running a mid field engine..(come to think of it thats what they`re doing at the moment too arent they!).

Eddie cant seem to hang on to people who know their job - he let Hamidy go for the likes of Gary Anderson who shouldnt be in formula one after the disaster he was largely responsible for at Jaguar.

Fisicella doesent look happy at Jordan and one cant blame him. Its another step down for him. He's probably praying somone gets him out of there before his career takes a fatal nose dive.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 02:14 (Ref:258616)   #13
f1truestory
Racer

f1truestory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
anyone think that Eddie picked Sato is a wrong thing?

good stuff that he crash into FSH ....and out-braking himself in turn 1 in Brazil every bloody single time !!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 03:46 (Ref:258638)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
stop picking on Sato...give him some time

He has a proven track record and earned his right for the seat by being last year's British F3 champion. Everybody make mistakes, we can't simply judge a person just like that.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 03:55 (Ref:258641)   #15
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
Eddie cant seem to hang on to people who know their job - he let Hamidy go for the likes of Gary Anderson who shouldnt be in formula one after the disaster he was largely responsible for at Jaguar.
Hamidy has done good work in the past...but here is what "Formula 1 Magazine" reported as being some of the reasons for him being on Gardenning leave:

"according to team insiders, the new Jordan was designed with illegal front wing endplates - in other words they where too low. The chassis was narrower than the regulation allow and the suspension components fashioned in a way to make them areodinamic, which is against the regulation.

And his position has been under threat for some time dur to his lack of management"

All of these wasted $$$ that Jordan needed....

If these are true....seems to me that Hamidy did not fit well with Jordan, he must have felt really uncomfortable working there, and could not transmit his direction clearly.

The fact of bringing in Anderson, would only make the matter worse for him, due to their past work relationship
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:23 (Ref:258845)   #16
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
...Certainly interesting that Jordan have been way ahead of BAR in the wet, of course many F1 fans rate Fisichella well, but the same goes for JV...
JV good in the wet?????:confused:

He's pretty vocal about his distaste for the wet stuff and his record proves it. Talented he may be, but he's no Regenmeister
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:27 (Ref:258851)   #17
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
JV will be very pleased that it wasn't wet today.........fastest honda qualifier!
Old 13 Apr 2002, 12:28 (Ref:258852)   #18
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO

JV good in the wet?????:confused:

He's pretty vocal about his distaste for the wet stuff and his record proves it. Talented he may be, but he's no Regenmeister
Agreed. JV's pretty mediocre in the wet.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 13:01 (Ref:258887)   #19
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi was the true wet whether hero...
Old 13 Apr 2002, 13:13 (Ref:258898)   #20
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mania
What good work has Hamidy done? Before Jordan he was with Arrows where he made a quick straight line car but the thing could go around corners. And if what F1 magazine has written is true, then he should never get a job in F1 again.

What Jordan needs now is a stable team that can consolidate 4-5 in the manufacturers championship and close working with Honda to ensure they get the best from that engine. Maybe Honda have bitten off too much by supplying two teams?? Instead of both teams competing against each other for wins they are now competing against each other to see who can get into the top 10. EJ needs to re-organise just as Dave Richards has at BAR, before all the other teams (not just BAR) get ahead.

Fair play to Webber today in qualifying.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 13:38 (Ref:258925)   #21
calais
Veteran

calais should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what has f1 magazine written about hamidy that is so scathing?????
Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:31 (Ref:259072)   #22
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mariov

"according to team insiders, the new Jordan was designed with illegal front wing endplates - in other words they where too low. The chassis was narrower than the regulation allow and the suspension components fashioned in a way to make them areodinamic, which is against the regulation.

And his position has been under threat for some time dur to his lack of management"

I didnt read that - but I doubt whether its true. Didnt Hamidy leave because Eddie brought in Anderson and refused to give him the authority over technical matters? Prior to that, everyone was praising the new Jordan including Eddie!

Think about it - has Anderson ever gone anywhere without creating trouble or flopping miserably?!

Either way, I think Hamidy deserves another go - especially ahead of Anderson. But Eddie just seems to be moving backwards rather than forwards.

As for the Arrows - I think he did a good job with it considering the lack of horsepower....though I agree it wasnt his best effort.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 15:45 (Ref:259087)   #23
Champ69
Veteran

Champ69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The reason the jordan is better in the wet is most likely that they adopted the sauber 2001 font end as McLaren and Arrows have.

I hope what you have said about the legalityof the jordan is not true. Surly if it was true it would have been picked up at Australia.
Old 13 Apr 2002, 16:29 (Ref:259125)   #24
mariov
Racer

mariov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Champ69
I hope what you have said about the legalityof the jordan is not true. Surly if it was true it would have been picked up at Australia.
That is why they say he sent Hamidy on gardening leave, they had to spend a lot of $$$ and time to make it legal for Australia....Wonder how much of their budget whent to fix it....

But the chemistry between Hamidy and Anderson has never been good, Anderson fired him once....Eddy must have known that he was creating a powder keg situation.

And I agree with you...the Jordan chassis is more up to date then the Bar...they at least have an areodinamic package that seems to work now......
Old 13 Apr 2002, 17:41 (Ref:259174)   #25
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno about that guys both BAR's were faster than the Jordan's today in qualifing although Jacques was driving the wheels off his car!...hmmm maybe Willis has added a few magical touches to the BAR aero package??? and the Honda engine improvement (however small it may be) couldn't have hurt... but I suppose tommorrow with race setup we'll see where the two really stand...looking forward to the race and I hope TGF doesn't just fly off into the distance...I really don't want to see 2hrs of Schumi all by himself
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.