Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 15 Mar 2003, 12:57 (Ref:536911)   #1
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rea's 'La Passione'.

The film ‘La Passione’ was Chris Rea’s recollections from childhood through adolescence of his love for Red Ferraris. Son of an ice cream making Italian immigrant to Newcastle, he and his family used to watch the black and white tele, where he fell in love with the idea of German playboy count Von Trips and the works ‘shark nose’ Ferraris at Monaco and Monza. The story line was built around the idea that he became a millionaire ice cream manufacturer/purfumerer and through his obsession built this sharknose replica, revisiting Monza his homeland with his recreation. There was a great deal of old racing footage and they visited the Von Trips museum and so on. There were a stack of super old Ferrari’s featured of course.
Chris lost a packet on the film (millions) which was far too arty for general consumption; he wrote the music which Shirley Bassey was involved with. It’s really soppy but pretty wonderful.
More recently Chris nearly died with some sort of kidney infection and as he recovered, wrote some real hard core blues stuff which is really fantastic music, a double CD recorded when he recovered.
We saw him live a few weeks ago, and he can still produce it. If you enjoy Clapton IMHO, you can’t fail but to enjoy Rea and they are both BIG Ferrari owners and circuit racing fans.
I like the comparison of GP racing and rock bands, as I believe they are two of the most exciting things you can witness – an F1 Grand Prix standing start and a top band absolutely ‘ON IT’

Last edited by gfm; 15 Mar 2003 at 12:58.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 13:34 (Ref:536919)   #2
COOPERMAN
Rookie

COOPERMAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have seen his 156 recreation in real life and i must say that it is beautifully crafted and prepared,at the end of the season of 1960/61? they were all scraped by the factory which seems sacralige now!.Von tripps was killed whilst racing his at monza he was thrown from it after having an incident with another competitor (jim clark i think?)...
Old 15 Mar 2003, 19:21 (Ref:537257)   #3
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jim clark indeed. Its a great film if you like ferraris and understand 'la passione'
Old 15 Mar 2003, 23:12 (Ref:537603)   #4
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone know what happened to the 156, there were stories it was going to the Von Tripps museum but apparantly it isn't there.

I agree how good it looks, I was at Goodwood when he unveiled it. Stunning.

(Got the video and the album of La Passione)

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 15 Mar 2003, 23:28 (Ref:537623)   #5
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've got a vague memory of it coming up for auction at Gstaad (or however you spell it) - I get sent all the catalogues (full of cars that are worth silly money)
Old 17 Mar 2003, 17:18 (Ref:539175)   #6
WANHER
Racer

Belgium
belgium
WANHER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are always talking about the 156, but for the film there was also a replica of a testa rossa look alike 1961 with a 400 engine, this car was also offered !!! on sale with the 156, there was also a track test of both ar but which publiation ?

Robert
Old 18 Mar 2003, 20:01 (Ref:540434)   #7
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much did it sell for? does anyone know.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 21 Mar 2003, 13:23 (Ref:543124)   #8
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
gfm is right - there are a number of circumstances where rock or pop and motor racing cross-over. Apart from Chris Rea, we all know that Floyd drummer Nick Mason is heavily involved in historic racing as is Dire Strait's Mark Knopfler. Band managers Steve O'Rourke ( Pink Floyd) and Tony Smith ( Genesis / Phil Collins) also race historics. Nick persuaded Floyd guitarist Dave Gilmour to have a go too a few years ago - he raced a 1959 F1 BRM.
Led Zeppelin sponsored a Can-Am car in 1974, infact their drummer John Bonham was big into drag racing at Santa Pod and had a go in Clive Skilton's top fuel rail for the Zeppelin movie 'The Song Remains the Same' back in 1973. Ex- Radio 1 DJ's have also raced, Dave Lee Travis ( Drag racing - his own top fueller), Mike Smith and Noel Edmonds in saloons - and then there are the likes of Shane Lynch of Boyzone etc who race in GTs.
Any I have forgotten?
Old 21 Mar 2003, 14:36 (Ref:543204)   #9
gfm
Veteran

gfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgfm should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I sold Jason Kay (Jamiroqui Jamrio Jam ... Jason) a Lambo by throwing him around Brands GP till he gave us the order. (He loved it - great bloke, racing fan) Then I learnt he used the place for a real big rock concert soon after. Rather like Clapton at the Ferrari thing last year.
Old 21 Mar 2003, 14:57 (Ref:543228)   #10
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson
...we all know that Floyd drummer Nick Mason is heavily involved in historic racing...
And in the 80's he was in racing, period. He ran Le Mans 1979, 1980, 82-84 (and DNQ in 85).

I got his autograph at Mosport in 1984 when he was entered in a Rothmans 956 (DNF). That year he raced the first half of the season for for GTi, and the Rothmans ride was a one-off. It was his last race on the FIA WSC championship that year (halfway through the season).

I don't have any clear memory of his pace.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:15 (Ref:543301)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
There's another thread around somewhere, ("AE"?) about La Passione. I'm a big fan of his music and particularly like the soundtrack album. Even Mrs. Ayse likes it, and as far as music goes, that's a minor miracle.

But is La Passione available? I haven't ever seen it anywhere on VHS, let alone DVD?
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:16 (Ref:543304)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by M Coupe

(Got the video and the album of La Passione)

Sorry, only just saw this. Where did you get it from, M Coupe?
Old 21 Mar 2003, 16:17 (Ref:543306)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Kitson

Any I have forgotten?

Andrew Ridgley - ha ha!

I guess he doesn't count......
Old 21 Mar 2003, 17:48 (Ref:543374)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

But is La Passione available? I haven't ever seen it anywhere on VHS, let alone DVD?
I have it on VHS. £13.49 in local MVC store.
Old 22 Mar 2003, 10:39 (Ref:544020)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
I bought mine in WH Smiths