Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 May 2004, 14:36 (Ref:979963)   #1
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
What happened in the tunnel? (Alonso part)

The first of the two tunnel incidents - sensible and informed discussion: Was Alonso stupid to pass round the outside? or was Ralf being obstructive?

Alonso certainly believes it was Ralf's fault - but we saw a few years ago what happens if the backmarker moves onto the marbles in the tunnel (Sato), so why should either driver move to the oustide - and why not wait?
Old 23 May 2004, 14:38 (Ref:979970)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Same as the other 'incident', a simple misunderstanding.

You've gotta love Alonso the bad-ass though, managing to gesticulate to Ralf whilst in the middle of the accident .
Old 23 May 2004, 14:39 (Ref:979973)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
And suggesting in his interview that maybe Ralf enjoyed watching high speed accidents (or words to that effect!).

Ralf should have moved to the outside, but Alonso didn't exactly make the greatest decision either.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:42 (Ref:979979)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i guess it was both at fault... RS shouldnt have slowed... but on the outside of the tunnel with all the debris and it wasnt for position... RS would have had to back out at one point or another.. wasnt great thinking from Alonso as well
Old 23 May 2004, 14:43 (Ref:979980)   #5
M Coupe
Racer

M Coupe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look at the speed differential, Alonso had little choice, yet again Ralf causes an accident. I hope the Stewards have a word with him as well!

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 23 May 2004, 14:43 (Ref:979981)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't really think it's the part of Ralf...

The sad thing is that, a backmarker thinks differently from the lapping driver. Which is not unusual considering that they are basically seeing things from different perspective.

Ralf thinks he wants to let Alonso through with minimal obstruction and honestly, he chose a decent spot. Aloso thought he could get through and went for it, only to spear wide and into the barrier.

If Alonso didn't know that would happen, how can we expect Ralf to know?

Could Ralf had waited later? Sure, he could do it at the chicane, but it would compromise Alonso's line and speed into the chicane.

Could Ralf let Alonso through anywhere between the place he chose and the chicane? Not really, because it's the exit and the guys would be blinded by the light.
Old 23 May 2004, 14:44 (Ref:979985)   #7
M Coupe
Racer

The worrying thing is that Alonso said Ralf sped up when he was alongside!

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 23 May 2004, 14:46 (Ref:979990)   #8
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
the only way to be sure . is to get the telemetry . does teh marshals have access to it if they request it ??
i think it was Alonso's fault .. more then likely RS would have let him under braking ..

Ciao Marco
Old 23 May 2004, 14:52 (Ref:980002)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, Alonso said that Ralf pushed him wide when he "sped up". When did he speed up?

A bizarre comment on a bizarre day! I'm off to bed!
Old 23 May 2004, 15:05 (Ref:980038)   #10
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ralf was on the line and left a lot of room...and Alonso just rammed into the wall after passing Ralf
Old 23 May 2004, 15:08 (Ref:980048)   #11
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The way I understand it is that Ralf was ahead going into the tunnel with Alonso breathing down his neck, Ralf slowed half way through the tunnel, by which time Alonso was alongside, according to Alonso, Ralf then stood on the gas and sped up, forcing Alonso to stay wide.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:15 (Ref:980059)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is just another reason why I'm not sold on Alonso.

After his two incidents last season, one, where he ran through the yellow flag in Brazil, and into Webbers wreck, and two, where he braked early, and sent DC flying off the track, and now this. To me, he is wreckless, and doesn't use his head. I think he has alot to learn yet.

IMO, he had no business making that move on Ralf. To go into the marbles, at 170MPH, knowing how sharp and fast the apex in that tunnel changes, I mean cmon, what are you thinking? Can't blame ralf for this one...

Danica Patrick
Old 23 May 2004, 15:24 (Ref:980074)   #13
M Coupe
Racer

Ralf should have been the one to move off line as he obviously had an car with problems.

Colin McRae 1968-2007
Old 23 May 2004, 15:36 (Ref:980082)   #14
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

IMO, he had no business making that move on Ralf. To go into the marbles, at 170MPH, knowing how sharp and fast the apex in that tunnel changes, I mean cmon, what are you thinking? Can't blame ralf for this one...
WHAT?? I hope you were following the race. Ralf was a backmarker who, in the first place, was supposed to let Alonso go at the start of the tunnel. He knew perfectly well that Alonso and Trulli were neck to neck with the Ferrari of MS and I bet it must be so frustrating for Alonso to get stuck behind a very slow backmarker in the tunnel and waste potentially important seconds in his battle with MS.

Last edited by freud; 23 May 2004 at 15:36.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:42 (Ref:980091)   #15
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's hard to know who's at fault until all the evidence is presented with telemetry etc. although the question has to be asked of Alonso as to why he had to make the move there knowing how slippery it is off line going through there.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:50 (Ref:980107)   #16
hamsmith
Racer

hamsmith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I loved the interview with Alonso:
Q: are you saying ralf is to blame?
A:yes, just like every accident he is involved in.

Very good.
Old 23 May 2004, 15:54 (Ref:980114)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
WHAT?? I hope you were following the race. Ralf was a backmarker who, in the first place, was supposed to let Alonso go at the start of the tunnel. He knew perfectly well that Alonso and Trulli were neck to neck with the Ferrari of MS and I bet it must be so frustrating for Alonso to get stuck behind a very slow backmarker in the tunnel and waste potentially important seconds in his battle with MS.
I don't know if Alonso was close enough to Ralf before entering the tunnel, that Ralf should have gotten out of his way. But the fact is Ralf was in front of him in the tunnel, and Alonso should have shown some restraint, and waited to make his move after the tunnel.

The fact that Alonso made such a rash move, in such a bad spot on the track, looked to be entirely his fault...

Danica Patrick
Old 23 May 2004, 16:06 (Ref:980131)   #18
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by M Coupe
Look at the speed differential, Alonso had little choice, yet again Ralf causes an accident. I hope the Stewards have a word with him as well!
I have to agree with this comment, although not actually hitting anyone this time, this is Rafe's 5th altercation with another driver in 6 races, and everyone of them have looked dubious from Rafes point of view.

Last edited by Mr V; 23 May 2004 at 16:07.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:16 (Ref:980140)   #19
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't know why it isn't blatantly obvious to everyone that it was Ralf's fault? You either let a car past just after Portier, as soon as you're in the tunnel, or at the chicane. At NO point whatsoever do you slow in the middle of the tunnel when you are approaching the kink, there's only a safe line for one car. I can't blame Alonso because when you're lapping someone you can't be half-hearted about it, what was he expected to do, slam on the brakes and follow Ralf behind??
Old 23 May 2004, 16:23 (Ref:980147)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf had supposed gear box problems which would explain his lack of speed in the middle of the tunnel. That's why I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt on this occasion.
Old 23 May 2004, 16:27 (Ref:980151)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
I don't know why it isn't blatantly obvious to everyone that it was Ralf's fault?
Simply because its not blatantly obvious.

Was Ralf ignoring any blue flags? How close was Alonso going into the tunnel to Ralf? Did Alonso make his move to the outside before Ralf could get out of his way? Was the speed differential between the two all that great? Could Alonso shown alittle more patience and waited to make his move?

Alot of questions need to be answered before we really can place blame. Alonso using Ralfs past incidents is no help...

Danica Patrick
Old 23 May 2004, 16:31 (Ref:980155)   #22
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ok, but I'm assuming being tucked up on the inside of the track isn't Ralf's normal line.........
gearbox problems or not, he was aware he was being lapped. Gearbox problems may slow you down when you're trying to accelerate, but they won't make you accelerate when you're slowing down!
Old 23 May 2004, 16:32 (Ref:980156)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Alonso was probably not close enough at the beginning of the tunnel... Rs did have a gear box problem so maybe thats why he suddenly slowed down... Alonso meanwhile should never have gone off line on the outside.. he could have waited...
Old 23 May 2004, 16:34 (Ref:980158)   #24
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
Gearbox problems may slow you down when you're trying to accelerate, but they won't make you accelerate when you're slowing down!
i thought the problem was that RS SLOWED down and not SPED up... geez anything to blame the guy!
Old 23 May 2004, 16:37 (Ref:980162)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I think the one thing we must remember about Monaco, is that it's simply very hard to get out of the way! There just isn't alot of room and time to pull out of line.

Danica Patrick