Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 11 Aug 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1063228)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Belterra Indy 300 (Kentucky) Event Thread

I'm looking forward to this weekend's race!!!

Kentucky Speedway is not as much of a horsepower track as Kansas or Texas, but the place is fairly wide...the racing should be good there...but the straights are not as long there as in Kansas and Texas

I do find it interesting that the drivers consider it to be flatter than the other 1.5 mile ovals, when Motegi has banks of only 10 degrees, and Kansas (at 15 degrees) is only one degree steeper than Kentucky (at 14 degrees)...

But Kentucky's turns are much more sweeping and longer....handling is important here...

Since it seems that Toyota and Chevy have made some gains with changes to their engines (at least at Michigan it seemed that way), and Kentucky doesn't place a premium on horsepower, this weekend should be wide open....

Any thoughts on "Who to Watch??"...."Who to Forget???"

I think some key people include:

Dan Wheldon -- the only 1.5 oval he was good on was Motegi...he struggled elsewhere

Tomas Scheckter -- turned the fastest lap at Kansas and was very fast (but unlucky) in the last two races....can he finally get some luck??

Townsend Bell -- Improving every week...can he get a podium??/

Those are a few...your thoughts????

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 11 Aug 2004 at 18:57.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1063317)   #2
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unfortunately, I don't see any real surprises coming here, except possibly Bell, and Matsurra, who's been getting very good. Bell has been looking great, and thereby, he's made Chevy look good. I am looking for Chevy to win one, which will hopefully keep them interested in being here. Bell will probably be the one who can do it. I have no faith left in Tomas.

I'm certain that AGR, with Tony and Dan leading the way for them, will be duking it out with Rahals guys, Rice and Meira. Penske could have something for them though.

Other than that, I can't see any of the lesser teams taking it here, but I'd sure love to see Kelley Racing, and DreyerRheinbold go top 5! I know, I'm dreaming...

PS - Hey Tim, have a great time at the race, you lucky dog!

Last edited by GP Racer; 11 Aug 2004 at 20:39.

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:41 (Ref:1063321)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Penske will show up strong and will race well...

They were fast last weekend....

I don't know if Ganassi has solved its issues yet...they don't seem to be able to get the set-ups this year, and from what Team Owner has posted on this subject, Dixon got a lot of his set-up info from Scheckter's input last year, and Manning isn't experienced enough on ovals or in the Series to provide that...

I also expect Fernandez to run well...he seems to be pretty solid on the 1.5 mile track s far this year.....

It'll be interesting to see where he comes out this weekend...

Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1063322)   #4
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW, GP Racer...

I envy you more for being at the last race they will run at Nazareth...

I've always thought that was a cool race track...

Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:48 (Ref:1063328)   #5
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Fernadez is a solid mid field guy for the rest of this season, and no better. He's had some good runs, but nothing spectacular. Maybe next season when he has the Dallara figured out.

Dixon is done to. I just don't think he's driving agressively enough. Alot of Toyota drivers are just driving the wheels off of there cars for a win, but not Dixon. Now Manning sure is "slightly" agressive, isn't he?! If he can keep it clean, he's more of a threat than Dixon right now.

Sam is defending champ for this race, so maybe?

Danica Patrick
Old 11 Aug 2004, 20:50 (Ref:1063331)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
BTW, GP Racer...

I envy you more for being at the last race they will run at Nazareth...

I've always thought that was a cool race track...

I wonder if they will have any special ceromonies or anything?

The racing program will be a keeper. Sad really...
Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1063350)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I expect it to be Kanaan v Rice for the win.

Incidentally, on the subject of Adrian Fernandez, I'm given to understand he's retiring at the end of the season.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:08 (Ref:1063351)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Really???

That is the first I've heard of that news....

Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:10 (Ref:1063353)   #9
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently it's been his intention all year.
Old 11 Aug 2004, 21:46 (Ref:1063382)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
BTW....

I'm not so sure that this race will be the Honda-dominated event that has occurred on the 1.5 mile ovals thus far this year....

Sure...I expect to see them up near the front...AGR and Rahal have really paced the field over the past two months....

But I see some Toyotas and Chevy teams being competitive...especially Penske and Panther/Menard....

Old 11 Aug 2004, 22:11 (Ref:1063398)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Hmmm, do you mean Scott Sharp or Felipe Giaffone?

Danica Patrick
Old 12 Aug 2004, 02:54 (Ref:1063523)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Incidentally, on the subject of Adrian Fernandez, I'm given to understand he's retiring at the end of the season.
You maybe right KB.

Windtunnel said tonight that Adrian spent the weekend in the Ganassi garage during the Grand Am race last weekend, and rumor has it, he will start a GA team next year. Apparently, GA wants to go to Mexico next season, and it would be a natural for Adrian.

Man, Ganassi is an animal, isnt he? First the Kelley story, and now this. The man is a power house!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 18:56 (Ref:1065304)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It looks as though it may well be a honda suited track a bit odvious may it be but Kentucky is simular to motegi but it's bumpy id like to see the toyotas do well in preticlar Chip Ganassi & penske.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1065306)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Well, Honda could clinch the manufacturer's championship this weekend, so you know they'll be on their game.

Danica Patrick
Old 14 Aug 2004, 01:27 (Ref:1065505)   #15
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Adrian moving (retiring) to GA and taking Honda with him?
Old 14 Aug 2004, 05:02 (Ref:1065684)   #16
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have fun, Tim!

About AF:I could see him keeping his team in the IRL and maybe doing GA or owning a GA team. After all, he is 40ish (which isn't old for a normal person, but for an athlete...it's getting up there )

Last edited by MLM; 14 Aug 2004 at 05:04.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1066161)   #17
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally posted by MLM
Have fun, Tim!

About AF:I could see him keeping his team in the IRL and maybe doing GA or owning a GA team. After all, he is 40ish (which isn't old for a normal person, but for an athlete...it's getting up there )
Thank goodness, I'm a normal person!

Phew! I was alittle worried about where that post was going!
Old 14 Aug 2004, 23:01 (Ref:1066536)   #18
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
LOL.

well its the Buddy and Tony show at the front again , I hope they get in and have some good clean racing.

all this speak of Adrain retiring may or may not have spurred him on to his highest qualifying so far (4th) , I hope he has a good one as well.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 00:18 (Ref:1066564)   #19
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
Thank goodness, I'm a normal person!

Phew! I was alittle worried about where that post was going!
Don't worry, Hon....you're normal (I think )
The 30s-40s are, IMO, a great time in a person's life. And, with the way things are going, we'll have a great time further on
What's also nice is that athletes like Roger Clemmons, Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux(sp), etc....are probably in better shape than a lot of guys 1/2 their ages! I would probably bet that Adrian is in better shape than a lot of men younger than he.
The problem is, IMO, our society.We (socitey) seem to get hung up on the NUMBER of the age instead of how old or young a person looks...or feels!

Last edited by MLM; 15 Aug 2004 at 00:18.
Old 15 Aug 2004, 14:46 (Ref:1067102)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
This morning, I dragged my tired, 40ish carcass out of bed, at a ridiculously early hour, to watch the F1 "race" in Hungary. What a snoozer! Can somebody tell me why I did that? At my advanced age, I should know better!

I'm going back to sleep, so I'll be awake for Kentucky, where the IRL can restore my faith in open wheel RACING!

See you then!

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Aug 2004, 19:00 (Ref:1067310)   #21
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buddy Rice and Tony Kanaan on the front row! That'll make the start very interesting...
Old 15 Aug 2004, 23:32 (Ref:1067594)   #22
dirtfan
Racer

dirtfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"After all, he is 40ish (which isn't old for a normal person, but for an athlete...it's getting up there )"
For God's sake, don't say that to Bentley Warren, at least not to his face, unless you can run really fast!
Old 15 Aug 2004, 23:34 (Ref:1067602)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

The 40-ish guy did a good job, then!