Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 29 Oct 2002, 11:15 (Ref:416291)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Testing Ban has added bonus for Minardi

One thing not mentioned so far, is how the testing ban will effect things, especially the smaller teams.

While the obvious savings are to the testing budget, Paul Stoddart will find an excellent way to get more TV coverage for his cars and added income by letting hosting country talent to test the cars on Friday.

F1 Racing.com has the story

Quote:
MINARDI BOSS Paul Stoddart has rubber stamped changes for F1 in 2003 claiming they will liven up the sport.

"I think the proposals are good for the sport," he said. "It will liven up practice on Fridays and Saturdays at the very least. I think there is a little bit of help in there too for the smaller teams."

Referring to the plans to allow teams who limit their private testing from March to November to just ten days on track - Stoddart was full of praise.

"For a team like ours - we would like to run in a host nation one of that country's drivers - if he had a sponsor then it would be a straight commercial deal - we need the money and it's a good way of earning it," he added.

"This is actually quite a huge breakthrough and for me it's the main thing to gain from this meeting," he concluded.
Not a bad idea really.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 11:21 (Ref:416296)   #2
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not bad? It sucks!!! I really can't understand how would that help Minardi, other than stopping the others from doing better. It closes the gap, a little, however not by improving Minardi's performances. Sheese. Communism. Can't make all of them to perform better, then it's easier to make all of them to perform worse.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 11:30 (Ref:416309)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Red
other than stopping the others from doing better. It closes the gap, a little, however not by improving Minardi's performances.
So the title of Wrex's thread is correct, Testing ban has added bonus for Minardi

At the end of the day, testing ban or not, the richer teams will do better as they have the resources for the best wind tunnels and test beds, the poorer teams, like Minardi will not be able to close the gap.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 11:36 (Ref:416315)   #4
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Minardi will never be at the Top level, I don't agree with any change that would 'make it so'.

I do however, want teams like Minardi to survive, and if a little extra revenue can be generated, and a new young driver gets a chance to show himself, I'll vote for that anyday.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 11:40 (Ref:416320)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The benefit may be negated by the reality of a testing ban- teams who can afford it will spend the extra money on superadvanced simulations and CAD/CAM software. I hadbn't thought about testing locals tho, maybe if they have a paydriver racing next eyar they could have s hootout between them in practice, or maybe say to a tester that if he gets within 1 second of the lead driver, he keeps the car for the weekend.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:06 (Ref:416330)   #6
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Dont expect Williams, McLaren or Ferrari to take the Friday test option. I doubt Renault and Toyota will take part either.

This will only happen if at least 3 teams opt for it. I can see 3 teams doing it, but not all.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 12:19 (Ref:416344)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This will certainly help Minardi save a lot of money, while it will put the onus on the teams to iron out bugs at the track instead of tonnes of private testing a la Ferrari.

However, this certainly won't close any performance gap. The rich teams will remain rich, the poor will continue to struggle.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 13:12 (Ref:416384)   #8
Borzacchini
Rookie

Borzacchini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Minardi will certainly opt for it but who else ? Maybe Sauber will since they don't test that much. Arrows undoubtedly if they will survive. Minardi has got to hope that two other teams will opt to do this, I doubt that this will happen. McLaren, Ferrari, Renault, Toyota, BAR or Jaguar almost certainly won't do this. This leaves only Sauber, Jordan, Minardi and Arrows...

Last edited by Borzacchini; 29 Oct 2002 at 13:12.
Old 29 Oct 2002, 13:44 (Ref:416394)   #9
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jordan I would think..