Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 27 Aug 2003, 13:02 (Ref:700636)   #1
poorboy
Rookie

poorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photo of helmet

Who is it?
Attached Thumbnails
11457.jpg  
Old 27 Aug 2003, 13:03 (Ref:700639)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is this another of those competition questions?
Old 27 Aug 2003, 17:59 (Ref:700943)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Is he braking hard, or just asleep?
Old 27 Aug 2003, 23:20 (Ref:701273)   #4
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought the competition had finished???

How much longer is it gonna go on for!!!
Old 27 Aug 2003, 23:34 (Ref:701289)   #5
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's one every month ....

Bob Marley
Old 27 Aug 2003, 23:57 (Ref:701295)   #6
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*cries*

Ah well, any interesting questions this time?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 00:11 (Ref:701300)   #7
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Newbury Park, CA, United States
Muzza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, guys - instead of asking for the quiz to be closed, go do some research.

I for one have no idea who this driver is...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:11 (Ref:701435)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
looks 80's/90's. Is it Christian Danner?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 07:29 (Ref:701448)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Johnny Cecotto?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Aug 2003, 09:36 (Ref:701555)   #10
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I think its Alex Caffi

EDIT: oh no, from memory he had a red and gold helmet, so I think GTR is correct

Last edited by andy_b; 28 Aug 2003 at 09:40.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:27 (Ref:701731)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Didn't Danner have a mainly white lid?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:47 (Ref:701753)   #12
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
No, it is not Danner (all white, with the Bavarian white-and-blue diamond pattern around the collar of the helmet)...

No, it is not Caffi (red and gold)...

No, it is not Cecotto (white with a red scythe on each side of the helmet, converging to the forehead)...

This is a really interesting one.

The car does not look like a Formula-1. The only sponsor logo I can identify is the Marlboro one at the forehead.

The games continues...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:52 (Ref:701762)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, so a second guess is allowed?

Taking it anyway... I think its an Alfa F1 car with Marlboro livery, with A.DeCesaris doing the steering.

I initially thought Cecotto because Jebs is a bike helmet brand but looking at the pic again....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 28 Aug 2003, 15:15 (Ref:701908)   #14
poorboy
Rookie

poorboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
I think its an Alfa F1 car with Marlboro livery, with A.DeCesaris doing the steering.
No, it's not him. I check the photo of his helmet. I can say more. I check all the photos of Alfa and McLaren driver's of late 70`s and 80`s and nobody's helmet was the simillar. As for me I have no ideas and that makes this photo very interresting.
P.S. It's not the question from russian magazine quiz. So don't worry ))))
Old 28 Aug 2003, 17:02 (Ref:702007)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
Marc Surer?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 17:03 (Ref:702009)   #16
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
I know Jebs sponsored a number of Italian drivers.

It looks more like an F2 car to me
Old 28 Aug 2003, 18:08 (Ref:702060)   #17
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
No, it is not Marc Surer either, Paulzinho (but that was a good try)...

Surer's helmet has red "caps" on each side (almost the whole side is red), with two wide white strips running from the back of the neck to the forehead, and a thinner red line between them...

Andy_B, the car does not look a F-1 to me either. And the shape of the helmet hints to the second half of the 1980s.

The mistery continues...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 19:10 (Ref:702111)   #18
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It looks just like Tom Kristenssen, but it can't be can it? Did he take his helmet design from any previous driver?

The only other guy I'm thinking is Geoff Lees. Didnt he drive a Marlboro car in F2?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 19:33 (Ref:702124)   #19
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
I think it is Pierluigi Martini, in the Toleman at Monza 1984 (DNQ). He had a plain red helmet with white band in 1983, and by 1985 had extra yellow stripes and those red squares. By the time he was back in F1 he had the white helmet with pinstripes and yellow Mohican.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 21:51 (Ref:702195)   #20
Muzza
Veteran

Brazil
Ensign14,

You may be right! I found this picture of Martini in the 1985 Minardi (I loved that car!): http://home5.swipnet.se/~w-59407/pie.../85_brazil.gif

Also, the colors of the car in the picture at the top of the thread do resemble the Segafredo-liveried Tolemans...

Can someone confirm that?
Old 29 Aug 2003, 10:08 (Ref:702482)   #21
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
I cant 100% confirm it, but as soon as I read Martini, I thought oh yes, course it is

What team did he drive for in F2? Was it First as i'm sure they were sponsored by Marlboro at one point (not full sponsorship like ORECA or Onyx)
Old 29 Aug 2003, 19:20 (Ref:702973)   #22
Kimi-Mika
Rookie

Kimi-Mika should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this Ken Tyrrell?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 20:21 (Ref:707413)   #23
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimi-Mika
Is this Ken Tyrrell?
I doubt it.
Tyrell quit driving far earlier - 50's or possibly early 60's. As far as I know he only drove in Cooper 500's. but before such elaborate helmets and before that car.

Last edited by D-Type; 3 Sep 2003 at 20:23.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 13 Sep 2003, 09:23 (Ref:717200)   #24
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
:confused: Was the correct answer Martini in the Toleman?.Its been bugging me who it was.
Attached Thumbnails
martini.jpg  
Old 13 Sep 2003, 16:20 (Ref:717593)   #25
Go_Finland!!!
Rookie

Go_Finland!!! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ensign14 was right. It is Martini at Monza'84