Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2157123)   #1
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari sign Vettel?

Good God - only one Grand Prix in and silly season has started already!!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20141.html
Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:06 (Ref:2157128)   #2
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
jellison has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk
Good God - only one Grand Prix in and silly season has started already!!

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns20141.html
Good call - Massa is OK but not a true Natural - He has to go to a Big Team now that TR are going down the Tubes! He is the future Mega Talent.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2157136)   #3
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Read this initial speculation on a different web forum on Monday.. 3 days later it's 'news'.
His manager must have acted quickly!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 12:58 (Ref:2157227)   #4
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel to Ferrai would be a good move, and I would like to see him pair with Nico Hulkenberg once Kimi retires/changes team.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2157232)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't Ferrari want Nando in 09 now??? IMO Vettel is way better signing big talent.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2157275)   #6
SimonY
Rookie

SimonY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vettel is no doubt a good driver but imo is massively over-hyped, and I can see absolutely no reason why he would be a better signing than Massa.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2157281)   #7
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonY
Vettel is no doubt a good driver but imo is massively over-hyped, and I can see absolutely no reason why he would be a better signing than Massa.
Cos Massa was Fast but crashed ALOT in his first year or two. Vettel is JUST FAST. Massa has ended up pretty good, but better on an open track than cutting through the pack (i..e. last weekend). So many people could do more with that car. Don't get me wrong I do like Massa too, but would rather see Vettel in it
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:10 (Ref:2157286)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't remember Massa taking a team-mate out under safety car though. If Massa had driven a brilliant race last weekend, we'd all be astonished at this. In reality it's odd, because Vettel is already in a tug-of-love between BMW and Red Bull, and RBR are likely to want a new driver for 2009? Perhaps Red Bull have signed his contract over in exchange for a supply of Ferrari engines for 2009 (and perhaps for RBR beyond then, or as an option for whoever buys STR?), while keeping him with STR on loan until he is needed/ready?
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:15 (Ref:2157288)   #9
jellison
Veteran

England
Surrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I can't remember Massa taking a team-mate out under safety car though. If Massa had driven a brilliant race last weekend, we'd all be astonished at this. In reality it's odd, because Vettel is already in a tug-of-love between BMW and Red Bull, and RBR are likely to want a new driver for 2009? Perhaps Red Bull have signed his contract over in exchange for a supply of Ferrari engines for 2009 (and perhaps for RBR beyond then, or as an option for whoever buys STR?), while keeping him with STR on loan until he is needed/ready?
Indeed, get rid of the Dead wood that is Webber!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 14:19 (Ref:2157294)   #10
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellison
Cos Massa was Fast but crashed ALOT in his first year or two. Vettel is JUST FAST. Massa has ended up pretty good, but better on an open track than cutting through the pack (i..e. last weekend). So many people could do more with that car. Don't get me wrong I do like Massa too, but would rather see Vettel in it
I'd imagine that Massa's position within Ferrari has weakened too now that his manager's dad isn't team principal anymore.

When Massa is good he's VERY good (Interlagos '06 for instance) - trouble is he's not good every weekend. Vettel has the speed and seems to have the consistency too.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2157342)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think Vettel needs any more contracts just at the moment. He's in danger of being signed to as many teams as Jenson Button.

I'd be surprised if this rumour turned out to be true - there's no doubting that Vettel is very talented, but Ferrari do have two contracted drivers for next year, and I doubt it would be that easy to just get rid of Massa.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 20 Mar 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2157366)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
and I doubt it would be that easy to just get rid of Massa.
It'sa no problem! We getta DC to senda da boys around.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 17:14 (Ref:2157410)   #13
orrmate
Rookie

United Nations
Leeds, Yorkshire, England
orrmate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonY
I don't think he's overhyped at all. IMO, he's more talented than Hamilton. Not that that will be a popular view...
Old 20 Mar 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2157427)   #14
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmate
I don't think he's overhyped at all. IMO, he's more talented than Hamilton. Not that that will be a popular view...
I'm a huge Vettel fan (and have been one for years now) and probably not as big a Hamilton fan as most people around here, but I do wonder whether Sebastian will be able to deliver the same level of professionalism and consistency, both on which Hamilton excels for a rookie/relative newbie in F1.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2157446)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Congratulations, new sig!
Old 20 Mar 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2157465)   #16
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmate
I think he's as talented as Hamilton, not more. Of the new crop, Hamilton Kubica, Kovalainen, Piquet, Sutil, I'd put Vettel equal second. Certainly a better prospect than Massa.

According to autosport.com's interview with Berger, he's solely contracted to Red Bull now and for he next three years, and I'd expect to see him at their senior team next season.

Ferrari meanwhile has Massa and Raikkonen contracted, and those rumours about Alonso don't go away. They're going to have to run two teams at this rate...
Old 20 Mar 2008, 18:07 (Ref:2157470)   #17
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't there an F1 team up for sale somewhere?
Old 20 Mar 2008, 18:35 (Ref:2157492)   #18
Chiefy
Veteran

Germany
Cottbus, Germany.
Chiefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Vettel should at least make a good go of this season before we decide he is everything we've believed he is up to this point.

Undeniably he should form part of the next generation of top drivers, to include Hamilton, Kubica and Rosberg (maybe Sutil?) - but with Massa signed up for the next couple of seasons some of these "young pups" have a little while to wait. Personally, I just wouldn't have given Massa the extension. If nothing else, it detracted from what could have been a very exciting and tense period of waiting to see who Ferrari would sign for 2009. And now we know. And the news is disappointing. I bet Vettel gets nowhere near a Ferrari drive before 2011.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2157655)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The only way to know is wait until the season is over... I remember a driver with a contract for more than 1 year, breaking up and going back to his former team... I just can't quite remember the names though...
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:44 (Ref:2157665)   #20
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pierluigi Martini?

I can't see why people doubt Massa, he's won races very convincingly and is a good battler. Seeing him duke it out against Kubica in the wet on the final lap in Fuji proves his raw talent. Vettel is more likely to drive for Red Bull than Ferrari period.
Old 20 Mar 2008, 22:54 (Ref:2157671)   #21
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wills
I can't see why people doubt Massa, he's won races very convincingly and is a good battler.
I'm convinced that Massa is a good driver who, whilst superb on his day, lacks that certain something which seperates the great from the good.

Vettel, on the other hand, looks like he could be the complete package, although it is possibly too early to say.

If I had to choose between them, I'd take a chance on Vettel.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2157716)   #22
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber to finally go to Renault and DC/Vettel at RBR or DC into retirement and Webber/Vettel at RBR???
Old 21 Mar 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2157721)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher is a 'talent scout' for Ferrari and he has previously said that Vettel has a lot of potential so this isn't a surprise. Vettel is a bit of a gem and i am sure all the top teams are looking closely at his contract situation.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2157795)   #24
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
Webber to finally go to Renault and DC/Vettel at RBR or DC into retirement and Webber/Vettel at RBR???
I can see DC moving into a testing role with RBR next year, and Vettel getting the call up to sit alongside Webber. Thing is RBR really have to start to turn things around. BMW are quick, Williams are quick. McLaren/Ferrari are always quick. Renault will improve.

If RBR dont step up then they will be battling in the teens In which case Vettel will entertain the idea of one of the big teams who no doubt are wining and dining him.
Old 21 Mar 2008, 14:59 (Ref:2158217)   #25
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I still can't look past the fact that Vettel was beaten by Di Resta in F3. They were in the same car, with similar previous experience. None of the "greats" were ever bested by an equivilent team-mate. So either F1 is missing out big on Di Resta (quite likely in my opinion), or Vettel is over-rated.

Now, his performances so far have been impressive, but he hasn't had tough enough opposition to really show what he's made of.

Additionally, is anyone else amused by how many up and coming German drivers there are who all started karting between 1993-1997, compared to other generations?