Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 May 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1601474)   #1
LampCord
Racer

LampCord should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Qualifying...

I know its been covered before, but now that we've had a few races under our belts, I was just wondering how everyone felt about the new Quali system.

Personally, I love it. I've actually found myself nervous and excited watching it this year after a pretty boring system last year.

It seems to create quite a few dramatic moments like someone snatching the 10'th spot right before the end of round 2 and knocking another driver out of the next round. And the final round (although I'd like to see it shortened a bit) can be downright spectacular with pole changing place mutliple times in the last few laps.

It also creates some interesting strategic choices. If you don't make the top 10, you can go heavy. Its possible 11th place might actually be better than 9th or 10th where you may have been on a lighter load trying to move up.

With all the complaing about all the stupid rules and regs that F1 treats us to each year, I thought I'd point out one of the rare times where they appeared to get it right.
Old 5 May 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1601478)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I usually don't get orgasms when contemplating possible fuel loads and pit strategies, and with this it's no different.

It's an improvement, but not much.

Bring on 1 hour/12 lap qualifying.
So much more fun.
Old 5 May 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1601483)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
11th being better than 9th or 10th isn't an 'interesting strategic choice', it's a farce. The first two parts make for fantastic compressed action, and the chance of a genuine shock result under balanced circumstances, but the final part is a joke. We're supposed to be in a cost-cutting and fuel-saving era, and the cars spend 10 or more minutes driving around for no real purpose. The 'Tiger Tokens' system is too hit&miss - if your 10th-fastest time is 0.1sec too slow, you might lose the race, as Michael found in Bahrain. Make the fianl part either a Superpole-style sequence or a 10/15-minute low-fuel session and I'll be happy, for now it's okay but could be better.
Old 5 May 2006, 21:58 (Ref:1601494)   #4
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michael didn't lose the race in Bahrain through that, but your basic point I agree with.

I reckon they should just have a low fuel thrash for the final 20, deciding strategy either before the final session or after it.
Old 6 May 2006, 00:20 (Ref:1601520)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
DC and MS will bring up the subject of qualifying at a GPDA meeting at the Spanish GP.http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35756
Old 6 May 2006, 00:40 (Ref:1601525)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Seems that the ball is rolling,but not everyone is for change.http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=27899
Old 6 May 2006, 03:38 (Ref:1601549)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The last session fuel burning is pointless. I never understood it from the time they announced it. What is occuring was always going to happen, and really does not achieve anything.

If we must have the race-fuel, then make them declare before the start of the session. Then there is the option of making it that they must start that final session with that amount of fuel, but no form of topping up is then permitted, or else having them run on empty and then filling up afterwards.

I would be quite happy with no race-fuel, but that does not seem to be on the cards.
Old 6 May 2006, 07:38 (Ref:1601594)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
I think that having each driver declare the amount of race fuel he is going to use before the race is the way to go,can't think why they didn't do that in the first place.Even in F1 you can keep some things secret.
Old 6 May 2006, 08:27 (Ref:1601610)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
They should just give the top 10 drivers 3 flying laps (so 5 in total with an in lap and and out lap) for a low fuel, 10 minute final open session shootout.
Old 6 May 2006, 09:13 (Ref:1601620)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only problem is that, with current engine restrictions, most teams would only do 1 or at most 2 flying laps do decide grid positions, no matter how much time they have for it. 20 minutes would see those laps spaced out too much, so a shorter session would be ideal under that circumstance. It's a real pity though; when I was watching the first qualifying session I thought it was great until the cars started cruising around. I don't see why race fuel in qualifying is such a big deal - it doesn't prevent any high-tech components being used or produce an unbalanced grid.
Old 6 May 2006, 12:24 (Ref:1601707)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, to be fair, it can alter the a grid to an extent.
Old 6 May 2006, 14:49 (Ref:1601772)   #12
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

IMHO basically the last 5 minutes are the only part worth watching since it is about the pole and those getting KO'd in the first two sessions while entertaining, are almost never expected anywhere near the first two rows.

I find myself having something to eat and not paying full attention until towards the end of the final Q.

So I guess the older system that everyone complained about because nobody went out in the beginning but had a cracker of a finish is still light years ahead of this evolution.

The one lap, last winner or last WDC goes out first every time, screw Ferrari system was the worst although I wonder if they'll do the same thing to Alonso if he runs away with it again this year?
Old 6 May 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1601793)   #13
marcel82
Veteran

European Union
Beersel, Belgium
marcel82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man

So much more fun.

no, this is better.
I don't care what fuel load they're on, neither do I care about their tyres being worn or not.

I do care about seeing cars on track.
at the end of the 1hour / 12 lap qualy system, you'd have 30 minutes of watching engineers walking around, drivers having chats with them, and then 30 minutes with cars running (and afterwards drivers complaining about traffic being bad).
at least now you always see cars running, and the fact that they're close together gives an exciting qualifying session imo
Old 6 May 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1601812)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
I usually don't get orgasms when contemplating possible fuel loads and pit strategies, and with this it's no different.

It's an improvement, but not much.

So much more fun.
Now you are talking! This new system is way to complicated and relies too much on tyre performance and a clear track..trying to reinvent the wheel with little sucess?

IMO this would be far more sensible 1 hour/12 lap qualifying, with a stipulation that every driver must spread those laps out over the 1 hour period.
Old 6 May 2006, 16:07 (Ref:1601819)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Errr....haven't all qualifying systems (and indeed races) depended on such factors?
Old 6 May 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1601824)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Names out of a hat is beginning to sound like a good idea to me.Environmentally friendly and an excellent way to cut costs.
Old 6 May 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1601829)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
They could do that for the race too. This competing nature, it is such a waste of time and so undignified.
Old 6 May 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1601832)   #18
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I really like the qualifying at the moment,

What exactly are they going to change
Old 6 May 2006, 16:17 (Ref:1601833)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

If I want things being drawn out of a hat, I will go to my Grandma's and march down to the bingo hall with her of a Friday night.

This is competition for crying out loud!
Old 6 May 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1601834)   #20
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
This is competition for crying out loud!
That is so unfair though! The best people always do better!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
What exactly are they going to change
?
http://www.pitpass.com/fes_php/pitpa...s_art_id=27899
http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=35756
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82991
Old 6 May 2006, 16:25 (Ref:1601835)   #21
marzF1rocks
Racer

England
Derbyshire
marzF1rocks has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Thanks Adam
Old 6 May 2006, 16:26 (Ref:1601837)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
A pleasure.
Old 6 May 2006, 17:15 (Ref:1601873)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Errr....haven't all qualifying systems (and indeed races) depended on such factors?
The knock out system system relies on too many factors being in ones favour..look at today with Fisi waving at JV who is down the road in front of him...The old system will soon put the slower cars at the rear of the grid anyway. The faster drivers will shoot it out between themselves as they did before..The last stint of trundling around burning off fuel is nothing short of silly and irresponsible.. qualifying should consist of balls to wall for the pole, this is formula *one* right?
Old 6 May 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1601879)   #24
Bleu
Veteran

Finland
Espoo, Finland
Bleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBleu should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Changing it to 20-20-10 would be good IMO. In 10 minutes fuel burning would not be that big problem.
Old 6 May 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1601888)   #25
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The qualifying format is totally farcial. But hey, they will change it to another farcial format!