Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Aug 2024, 07:48 (Ref:4222936)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Veggie RVSC24 R09 Penrite Sandown 500

I still have my yellow scarf from the Norton sponsorship days of this event.

Always love the real Mr Whippy van sitting in the paddock near the opening to the circuit proper. Nothing better than a twin choc top regardless of rain, hail, heat or anything else Mother Nature could deliver.

Best grandstand to watch V8Supercars too. Corporate box in the bookies enclave is actually worse than sitting in the stands as you mostly on see the teevs…

It used to be THE form guide to the Bathurst event.
The cars now just don’t break.. except in the hands of a hamfisted pilot or two..
And pit stops are no longer foreign to the teams. The days of watching a DJR equivalent of a Chinese fire drill in the pits is definitely no longer so, from any of the teams

Picking a winner will be a challenge..
An MSR win would be good to see..
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 17 Aug 2024, 08:38 (Ref:4222940)   #2
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention the spring weather factor in Melbourne!
Old 18 Aug 2024, 22:44 (Ref:4223075)   #3
Kingair
Veteran

Kingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKingair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully Dutto has got stocked up on the 3M Anti Entry 888 Garage Tape for this event!
Old 19 Aug 2024, 05:07 (Ref:4223106)   #4
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingair View Post
Hopefully Dutto has got stocked up on the 3M Anti Entry 888 Garage Tape for this event!
Isn't it a rule that you cannot just wonder in and out of other teams?
Old 19 Aug 2024, 07:19 (Ref:4223115)   #5
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
I think that sandown is a track that will suit the mustangs apart from the fords appearing to be on the ascendancy.
Old 19 Aug 2024, 07:27 (Ref:4223116)   #6
Ares
Racer

Ares should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mite5255 View Post
Isn't it a rule that you cannot just wonder in and out of other teams?
Depending on the relationship you are best to stand at the door and ask if you can enter. Not everyone will do that, expect someone to ask "what the **** do you want" at some stage if that is your habit.
Old 20 Aug 2024, 20:54 (Ref:4223253)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Previous Winners of the Sandown 500...
Old 22 Aug 2024, 00:33 (Ref:4223352)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From Jack Perkins, via Facebook…

Quote:
I’m very disappointed to let everyone know that I won’t be racing our Shaw and Partners Financial Services 1979 Peter Janson/Larry Perkins Super2 Retro at Sandown because of an eligibility rule.

For as long as I can remember, to race Super2 at Bathurst as a main game co-driver you had to participate in 3 of the first 4 races, or 75% of the races prior to Bathurst. This is a well-known rule and one that I have always supported and adhered to. This stops main game teams with bigger budgets and more resources from running their co-drivers in Super2 at Bathurst only. For example, it stops Triple 8 running a Super2 car for Whincup and Pye at Bathurst to give them more miles on the Great Race weekend. It’s a good rule.

At some stage in the last year or two this rule has been amended to now include Sandown alongside Bathurst, which we, Blanchard Racing Team (BRT), and Supercars weren’t completely aware of until a fellow competitor raised it with Supercars personnel at Townsville.

Here’s the rule: “Rule 6.2.6 Any Driver who is Competing in an Endurance Event will not be eligible to Compete at the same Event in the Dunlop Series unless that Driver has Competed in a minimum of three (3) of the previous Dunlop Series Rounds in the same year, or in exceptional circumstances at the discretion of Supercars.”

As I mentioned above, the intention of this rule is to stop teams running Super2 cars for co-drivers at Sandown and Bathurst only. This supports the existing Super2 teams and also encourages co-drivers to do the full season.

We, BRT, applied for a dispensation for Sandown only, under “exceptional circumstances” as per the rule permits. We, my commercial partners and BRT, put our 2-race deal together late last year, not knowing this rule had been amended to include Sandown. We chose the Townsville and Sandown events largely because the car was stripped back to a bare body shell being repaired at the start of the year and getting to the first two events was impossible, given BRT’s expansion to two cars in the Main Series. Sandown is also the obvious choice to run a retro livery, paying tribute to the history of our great sport. We also knew that I couldn’t do Bathurst in Super2, so that was never part of our plans.

There were many other discussion points that I was hoping Supercars would factor in to giving us dispensation to compete at Sandown, these include:

- Longstanding support of Super2. I’ve raced in this series on and off since 2006. I’ve never gone off to race in Porsche, Trans Am, TCR or any other competing feeder series. Whenever I’ve been able to find sponsors to contribute to my racing it’s been for Super2. So, I felt some of that loyalty may have been considered in this instance.

- Technical differences between GEN3 and Super2/GEN2. Based on the intention of the rule, the second element is that in previous years the technical specs of the cars in both championships could be very similar. Which actually enhanced the need for this rule. Again, to not give bigger teams an advantage. The technical specs are now so different that last year at Bathurst I chose to sit out the second Super2 race at Bathurst so that I could concentrate my skills and focus on the GEN3 car for the 1000km race on Sunday.

- My last 3 Super2 campaigns have all paid tribute to the sport with fantastic retro liveries of which the supporters and fans have really enjoyed and publicly thanked us for what we do. This is highlighted by the fact Authentic Collectables are making Super2 model cars of our retro liveries, which is basically unprecedented in Super2. So, we are attracting interest to the category beyond any other competitor(s).

- BRT’s business and income generated from the super2 program. Given we were only made aware of this situation in Townsville, we immediately applied for dispensation, and unfortunately, we were only given an answer until now, some 6 weeks after that request. Not only have we already started preparing the car and our marketing campaigns for Sandown, but we have very little time to make or think of a potential plan B! Therefore, if the car doesn’t run at Sandown there will be lost revenue for BRT.

Unfortunately, though, none of the above was deemed to qualify for "exceptional circumstances" and we now have to accept this decision and focus on the Sandown 500 and the Bathurst 1000 alongside James Courtney with BRT in the Snowy River Caravans Ford Mustang.

None of this would’ve be possible without the loyal support of all of my sponsors and supporters;
Shaw and Partners Financial Services
Southern Cross Truck Rentals
Muscle Car Warehouse
Castrol
TLC Auto Centre
Haeusler’s
Snowy River Caravans
Noble Logistics
Cooldrive Auto Parts/Blanchard Racing Team

I also had a few boxes of Cadbury Cherry Ripe’s on order to hand out to the fans as per Peter Janson in the 70’s and 80’s! Oh well, maybe next time…

Cheers

Jack Perkins
You might have thought the past driving record of the pilot would have made the difference here. Interesting that it appears another team read the rulebook to the nth degree to make a request for review from V8Supercar…
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 22 Aug 2024, 02:15 (Ref:4223360)   #9
Kingair
Veteran

No doubt some rule maker will be getting a chubby about this decision!
Old 22 Aug 2024, 06:39 (Ref:4223369)   #10
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
No doubt some rule maker will be getting a chubby about this decision!
And how is this a good decision for Crompo's "customers"?
Old 22 Aug 2024, 07:12 (Ref:4223372)   #11
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
From Jack Perkins, via Facebook…

You might have thought the past driving record of the pilot would have made the difference here. Interesting that it appears another team read the rulebook to the nth degree to make a request for review from V8Supercar…
Upon reflection, it is the kinda of crap his dad would have pulled.
Old 22 Aug 2024, 23:20 (Ref:4223466)   #12
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Turmoil at Melbourne Racing Club. Maybe Sandown will continue? Part of the platform that the "rebels" bring is their claimed similarity of views with the membership of the club broadly. Para on some of the key points they'd go with:

Quote:
Kanga said if his push to spill the board was successful, the new committee would return the mounting yard to its original position, rule out building the new grandstand, keep racing at Sandown and optimise development value on surplus land.
If Sandown DOES continue to be a racing venue, hopefully some money can be found to give the motor racing circuit a birthday and tickle it along. Would be good news I think - with all due respect to the Shahin family, Sandown is a much better venue for the Bathurst lead-up 500 than the Bend ever will be - partly due to history of course but overall, a better venue in a much larger city.
Old 27 Aug 2024, 08:40 (Ref:4224020)   #13
Kingair
Veteran

Is Sandown live on FTA?
Old 28 Aug 2024, 00:26 (Ref:4224115)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
Quote:
Is Sandown live on FTA?
No.

Highlights on Channel Seven on the Sunday night.
Old 6 Sep 2024, 06:17 (Ref:4225543)   #15
Kingair
Veteran

Not many sleeps to go!
Old 8 Sep 2024, 23:39 (Ref:4225859)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Sep 2024, 01:38 (Ref:4225861)   #17
Kingair
Veteran

Showers forecast for a Friday and Saturday, Sunday race day looking fine!

Frock chosen, shoes selected and fascinator ready for Sandown GTR?
Old 9 Sep 2024, 02:40 (Ref:4225864)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

Frock chosen, shoes selected and fascinator ready for Sandown GTR?
Not this year. Unfortunately.
Kayo it is.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 9 Sep 2024, 07:16 (Ref:4225874)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Perkins to run in Super2 After All
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 10 Sep 2024, 20:06 (Ref:4226045)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Sep 2024, 01:50 (Ref:4226084)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Not this year. Unfortunately.
Kayo it is.
No wonder you're not going. If Kingair was my wardrobe manager, I would watch it at home too
Old 11 Sep 2024, 05:08 (Ref:4226088)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

New livery to come for #1…?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Sep 2024, 08:23 (Ref:4226096)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Sep 2024, 22:06 (Ref:4226180)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:

New livery to come for #1…?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 11 Sep 2024, 23:43 (Ref:4226185)   #25
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Makes you wonder what BIC pay when a kart hire place can sponsor a team as Naming Rights Sponsor as such a premium event