Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Feb 2005, 00:28 (Ref:1224721)   #1
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Control Tires

While part of me would hate to see control tires as I like to see development in the sport (I am studying automotive engineering, so I love learning the technical aspects), I think that it might be better for the sport. It would take some of the focus off the tires and back on to the mechanical/aerodynamic developments of the team.

I also wonder if it would be possible to give a list of regs to the tire manufacturers when putting the contract out to tender. These could be then tested in an official test by some/all of the teams and the one producing the best performance while complying with the regs gets the contract (although a set price/sponsership must be negotiated into this). This would give all teams a level playing field while continuing technical development of tires.
Old 14 Feb 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1225652)   #2
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I am torn in a similar way, tyre wars and monopolies have both their own pros and cons.

I would've thought, in the case of a monopoly, if there was KM restriction brought in for testing (which it seems there is a desire for), that teams wouldn't want to use them up tyre testing and thus the tyre technology would remain pretty static?
Old 14 Feb 2005, 21:58 (Ref:1225686)   #3
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a place for that, spec racing. F1 is the other end of the spectrum and I can't see it happening. Not that I don't see your point but...
Old 14 Feb 2005, 22:46 (Ref:1225717)   #4
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I also enjoy the technical aspects of F1 as much as the "show." But having a single tyre manufacturer makes sense to me. Too much of a team's advantage lies in the tyres right now. I'd prefer to see them all on the same tyres, that way any differences between the teams would be down to chassis/engine/driver...
Old 14 Feb 2005, 23:00 (Ref:1225729)   #5
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be the end of F1 if there were control tyres.

Where do you stop if you have control tyres? Engines, Brakes, Fuel, chassis ...........
Old 14 Feb 2005, 23:09 (Ref:1225738)   #6
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
You stop at tyres. Who says you have to make standard engines, brakes, fuel and chassis? And F1 has survived just fine in the past with a single tyre manufacturer.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 00:14 (Ref:1225769)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Brakes are more or less standard now anyway - there is just a limited choice in standards.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 00:59 (Ref:1225792)   #8
browney
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
browney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know it is sort of against the 'spirit' of F1 (and I do love technologiccal development in cars, I'm currently studying automotive engineering!), but it is just my opinion that tires have become far too much of an influence on results.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 02:11 (Ref:1225808)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
If the FIA meeting in December had gone ahead instead of being cancelled IMO we would have got control tyres for 2006,but now.........
Old 15 Feb 2005, 02:22 (Ref:1225811)   #10
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i too would like to see control tyres. But, instead of 1 tyre maybee look at 3 different compounds, a soft, a medium and a hard compound, but make the teams decide before qual what they are going to run on. That gives a chance for different strategies to come into play and should facilitate a bit over overtaking as teams take gambles on which way to go.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 02:26 (Ref:1225814)   #11
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that is exactly what they are looking at.

However it won't be in for next year,the December FIA meeting was cancelled and many of the teams if not all bar Ferrari were going to suggest control tyres for 2006.

Any changes have to be made before the December 31st deadline,the meeting was cancelled and a deal was done with Ferrari..........

Last edited by Marbot; 15 Feb 2005 at 02:34.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 03:23 (Ref:1225847)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
I think that is exactly what they are looking at.

However it won't be in for next year,the December FIA meeting was cancelled and many of the teams if not all bar Ferrari were going to suggest control tyres for 2006.

Any changes have to be made before the December 31st deadline,the meeting was cancelled and a deal was done with Ferrari..........
What deal was done? The minutes of the Jan 28 meeting (attended only by Ferrari) on the FIA website indicate that Ferrari propose they invite Michelin and BS to talk about the single tyre supplier option.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 03:43 (Ref:1225853)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Slick tyres by "Goodyear" please.....one tyre fits all!
Old 15 Feb 2005, 06:56 (Ref:1225905)   #14
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
It would be the end of F1 if there were control tyres.

Many seasons of F1 have run on one make of tyre.

It wasn't the "end" then.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 08:06 (Ref:1225930)   #15
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the variety of a tyre war, and the odd surprise result (Minardi on the front row in 1990, Hill's Arrows leading a race etc), but it is true to say that the level of logistics and manufacturing support required in a full scale tyre war is massive.

I like HDTVSS's suggestion of one tyre supplier but three compounds. Even in single supplier situations in the past, this has worked. In 1990, Nanninis Benetton was often a threat to the more powerful McLarens and Ferraris in the closing stages of a race, simply because of better tyre use or use of a softer compound
Old 15 Feb 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1225940)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
What deal was done? The minutes of the Jan 28 meeting (attended only by Ferrari) on the FIA website indicate that Ferrari propose they invite Michelin and BS to talk about the single tyre supplier option.
Ferrari signed up to the Concorde agreement knowing full well that any changes made after Dec 31st could not be implemented until 2007 thereby giving them 2 years of tyre war.

And also, strangely enough,many contracts at Ferrari end in 2007/8
Old 15 Feb 2005, 09:47 (Ref:1225975)   #17
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Many seasons of F1 have run on one make of tyre.

It wasn't the "end" then.
What season that has been run on control tyres?

Don't get confussed between only having one tyre manufacturer and a control tyre.

In 92 Goodyear was the only tyre manufacturer, but it wasn't a control tyre, there were many different compounds to choose from!
Old 15 Feb 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1225976)   #18
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What about 1999-2000?
Old 15 Feb 2005, 13:08 (Ref:1226152)   #19
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Ferrari signed up to the Concorde agreement knowing full well that any changes made after Dec 31st could not be implemented until 2007 thereby giving them 2 years of tyre war.

And also, strangely enough,many contracts at Ferrari end in 2007/8
With all due respect to you, martyn, and to Stoddy, I think you have been reading too much of that 45 page abomination he wrote. Its not Ferrari's fault that the meeting was cancelled.
Old 15 Feb 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1226200)   #20
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Going back to tyres, Michelin not sure they will last GP distance. See :http://www.f1central.net/news/articl...e-it/view.html