Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Sep 2007, 09:32 (Ref:2017728)   #1
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is TC really worth 3 seconds a lap?

With Ferrari setting a time in Jerez yesterday that was 3 seconds off the pace, and Renault also setting a time 3 seconds down when using the 2008 ECU, it would seem the loss of TC will make races considerably slower next year. Don't get me wrong, I am happy to see the drivers have to work more for their money, but at this rate F1 cars will be only fractionally quicker than GP2.

At Spa, the difference in the pole GP2 laptime, and the slowest F1 quali time was 6 seconds. The new 2008 GP2 car is supposed to be 1-2 seconds quicker. So if it goes like this it could be that the slowest F1 car is about the same as a GP2 car. Surely the leap from Formula 2 to Formula 1 should be bigger? As such why don't they now remove the rediculous rev limit to make the cars go faster and improve overtaking possibility?
Old 19 Sep 2007, 09:46 (Ref:2017739)   #2
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schead
Surely the leap from Formula 2 to Formula 1 should be bigger?
It is pretty darn big - the Formula 2 regs haven't been reviewed for many many many a year (at least 1985).

Quote:
As such why don't they now remove the rediculous rev limit to make the cars go faster and improve overtaking possibility?
They want cars to go slower for safety reasons. They won't remove the rev limit in order to increase speeds. I'm sure that after a full winter testing program the cars will be well up on current speeds. Remember that the chassis being used now were designed for use with Traction Control. They will tweak the new chassis to work better without Traction Control for sure.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 09:53 (Ref:2017745)   #3
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP
They want cars to go slower for safety reasons. They won't remove the rev limit in order to increase speeds. I'm sure that after a full winter testing program the cars will be well up on current speeds. Remember that the chassis being used now were designed for use with Traction Control. They will tweak the new chassis to work better without Traction Control for sure.
The tyre regulations and the drop to V8's already make the cars go slower. Why make them EVEN slower. What the rev limit has put in place is an inability to overtake due to not being able to up the revs when someone wants to overtake. This is what has made 2007 so processional, and created a quali race.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:49 (Ref:2017842)   #4
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The gap will be different from track to track. When the '06 cars first used the '07 tyres, they were alot slower but the teams all claimed that they got some of that back with the '07 cars as they used the tyres better. It'll be the same as already stated.

There'll also be different levels of performance obviously as the tyre degrades. Worn tyres are more likely to spin than green tyres, and might infact make a good qualifying lap worth more depending on how the teams change their cars to nurture the tyres. They'll have some data from '05 to go back on that'll probably be relevant.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2017850)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I doubt that it will be 3 seconds in the end. There's a lot of work that needs to be done besides TC with the standard ECU, engine mapping etc will be important. I'm sure you can afford to set the car up much more aggressively when you know you have TC to rely on, once it's taken away it requires a total rethink.
The gap will be more like 1.5 seconds in the end I suspect, or even less...
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:42 (Ref:2017897)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yeah, it won't make that much time over a lap I don't think. Over a race distance it will make a big difference though as it helps consistency, tyre wear etc...
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:51 (Ref:2017908)   #7
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And of course it will not be the same for all drivers. Those that are smooth and/or like loose cars should do well, in theory.

If someone could figure when this dumb rule was introduced, perhaps we couuld compare the lap times from the previous year. When was it anyway? It seems like ages ago?
Old 19 Sep 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2017913)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well it was introduced in 2001.

The cars were already four or five seconds a lap quicker thanks to the tyre war so it'd be hard to tell the difference really.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 14:58 (Ref:2017992)   #9
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It will also take the drivers a little time to get used to no traction control. That will probably account for about a second on most tracks.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:10 (Ref:2018003)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Anything that makes the cars slide more has to be a good thing - more chances to overtake, and more difference between good and bad drivers in performance (so hopefully no Noah's Ark championship order). The speed difference due to the ECUs would probably be down to 1-1.5 seconds once the races get underway, more in the wet. Time will be made up in other areas anyway - even in years with big limitations introduced the cars are usually slightly faster at most tracks, as the rate of improvement is otherwise so fast. Without any changes in regulations you'd probably see the 2002 pole times roughly equal to what Spyker are doing this year.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 15:42 (Ref:2018036)   #11
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's early days yet. Doubt it would be three seconds by next year, if anything they'll be quicker once again.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 16:09 (Ref:2018065)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
They should bring in slick tyres then if they want to be quicker than the GP2 boys. Get rid of those horrid grooved monstrosities forever.
Old 19 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2018195)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo
They should bring in slick tyres then if they want to be quicker than the GP2 boys. Get rid of those horrid grooved monstrosities forever.
A "pipe dream" all the while Max stays in charge i reckon.

Ferrari, i believe it was, tested on the GP2 rubber a season or 2 ago and went 2 seconds a lap quicker without any tweaks, shame we're not likely to see that for a long time.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 00:19 (Ref:2018391)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They really are terrible aren't they..
Old 20 Sep 2007, 06:07 (Ref:2018470)   #15
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It would seem to me that every time a restriction is introduced on the design of F1 cars the engineers and aero people overcome that to produce a negligible change in lap times. The trade off always seems to be in driveability and thus in the ability to actually RACE.
I would be willing to take a little wager that a lot of those who have agitated for the ban on TC "because it will make passing easier" will be back here complaining next year. Some are probably the same people who wanted slicks, underbody ground effects and active suspension banned "to make passing easier".
Go back over F1 history and the usual thing is that the less things banned, the better the racing.
At a guess i'd say next year we will see about a 0.5% increase in quallifying lap times and around 2% increase in total race times with some circuits like Monaco even slower.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 06:11 (Ref:2018473)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
This test would've been testing electronic compliance.

There would be no need to batter it like something insane to fulfill the test parameters.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 11:56 (Ref:2018832)   #17
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony
It would seem to me that every time a restriction is introduced on the design of F1 cars the engineers and aero people overcome that to produce a negligible change in lap times. The trade off always seems to be in driveability and thus in the ability to actually RACE.
I would be willing to take a little wager that a lot of those who have agitated for the ban on TC "because it will make passing easier" will be back here complaining next year. Some are probably the same people who wanted slicks, underbody ground effects and active suspension banned "to make passing easier".
Go back over F1 history and the usual thing is that the less things banned, the better the racing.
At a guess i'd say next year we will see about a 0.5% increase in quallifying lap times and around 2% increase in total race times with some circuits like Monaco even slower.
I don't believe anyone called for slicks to be banned, let alone banned to make passing easier - where is the logic in that?

Its common knowledge that more mechanical grip and less aero grip is the general key for "good racing".

This view is convoluted somewhat by the fact that you CAN have aero without damaging the racing, underbody aero would do just that, yet its implementation is not at all widespread in F1.

I for one am glad that drivers will have to look after their tyres more in 2008, and that at the end of the race we *may* see drivers struggling on worn rears.

Last edited by Sodemo; 20 Sep 2007 at 11:59.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 12:20 (Ref:2018851)   #18
schead
Racer

Quote:
I don't believe anyone called for slicks to be banned, let alone banned to make passing easier - where is the logic in that?

Its common knowledge that more mechanical grip and less aero grip is the general key for "good racing".

This view is convoluted somewhat by the fact that you CAN have aero without damaging the racing, underbody aero would do just that, yet its implementation is not at all widespread in F1.

I for one am glad that drivers will have to look after their tyres more in 2008, and that at the end of the race we *may* see drivers struggling on worn rears.
It certainly was suggested that grooved tyres would increase overtaking because they would punish mistakes more.

Here is an article in support of grooves.

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/feb10/keeble.html

And a case for slicks

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/feb10/tytler.html
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:17 (Ref:2018939)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
It certainly was suggested that grooved tyres would increase overtaking because they would punish mistakes more.

Here is an article in support of grooves.

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/feb10/keeble.html

And a case for slicks

http://atlasf1.autosport.com/99/feb10/tytler.html
Interesting articles.

Though I do struggle to see the case for grooves.

Even when they were being introduced, I recall thinking, "won't the teams simply increase the downforce ??%-fold to make up for the lack of mechanical grip, compounding the problem?" Which by in large, is what happened.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 14:54 (Ref:2018981)   #20
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they increased the downforce moreso because the reduction in car width meant for the same level of drag they could get more downforce. The grooved tyres became faster simply because of tyre development IIRC.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 00:40 (Ref:2019393)   #21
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Quite the opposite, the rules effectively minimise the opportunities, but it is something the aero guys try to maximise because it makes the car more stable.
But what can you do when you have a regulated floor, generally flat with a 20mm step in it? ... get it as good as you can then work on the top of the car.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 00:51 (Ref:2019396)   #22
runshaw
Veteran

England
Lancashire UK
runshaw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The time TC makes up over a lap is roughly 0.5 seconds or just under. Nowhere near 3 seconds.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 05:07 (Ref:2019454)   #23
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think you might be right about the 0.5 sec loss without TC on a qually lap with new tyres where the driver gets everything right.
I also think the 3sec is more probable over the course of a race due to variation in car balance with fuel load, changing track surface, tyre degradation and minor driving errors.
Old 21 Sep 2007, 08:00 (Ref:2019518)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Didn't we have that in 2005 ? Ah yes,one of the teams didn't like it!

I understand that Bridgestone are not going to change anything with the tyres,so lap times are likely to remain pretty much as they are if not a little slower.