Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 26 Feb 2010, 19:47 (Ref:2641107)   #1
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Flashgun Advice?

I've decided to buy myself a flashgun to sit atop my aging Canon 10D. I want to buy one as powerful as possible. I can't afford a Canon 580EX.

I had made my mind up to buy a Sigma EF 530 DG Super but have just come across the Nissin Di866 on a site, substantially discounted to a price less than that of the Sigma.

Is anyone able to offer advice or recommendation?
Old 26 Feb 2010, 22:13 (Ref:2641187)   #2
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It all depends on what features you want which in turn depends on what you are going to use it for.

If you want all the eTTL or whatever integration you may need to check what does what.

If you just want raw power ... I have a bag of Metz hammer head units picked up for a few tens of quid each of eBay. (except for the oldest one which I bought new back in about '77.)

Some care required - the very oldest ones have a high voltage and need special connections to protect the camera. You can get Canon specific adapters that offer some of the facilities of auto exposure - depending on which one. It gets a bit complicated to know which ones are compatible and they are rare finds on eBay.

I tend to use mine in manual mode and fired by wireless trigger so I can get them off camera - even if it means just handholding at arm's length. Not sure I could shoot a 10D with one hand though.

Huge range and potential to provide strong fill light for a reasonably close subject even in bright sunlight. Not to everyone's taste.

Edit: Sorry - meant to add that I have no knowledge of the Sigma or Nissin but neither seem to come up often in flash oriented discussion groups that I sometimes read. Maybe I read the wrong ones!
Old 27 Feb 2010, 00:24 (Ref:2641247)   #3
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just bought the less powerful 430EX II which I'm happy with so far. No experience of the two you've mentioned although the Sigma got a good review in this month's Practical Photography magazine.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 08:26 (Ref:2641334)   #4
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ayse, I got a 430EX II a couple of years ago for Christmas and I have used it on both my 10D and 30D with out any problems.
Old 27 Feb 2010, 15:02 (Ref:2641533)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
All of our old flashguns from years back in the historic 35 mm film era seem to work OK on our Canon Digi's with no problem. Its well worth looking in the local freebie advertising papers as sometimes you can pick up things (like decent flashguns) for peanuts with complete film camera kits. Some people assume that everything to do with the old 35mm stuff is worth nothing and just want to get it out of the way. Sometimes including decent lenses !!!!
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 27 Feb 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2641605)   #6
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Just bought the less powerful 430EX II which I'm happy with so far. No experience of the two you've mentioned although the Sigma got a good review in this month's Practical Photography magazine.
I use a 580EX II and a 430EX II. Very happy with the smaller flash.
Old 28 Feb 2010, 09:52 (Ref:2641864)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON STREETER View Post
Sometimes including decent lenses !!!!

That much is true, for sure!

Thanks for the advice guys.
Old 1 Mar 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2642518)   #8
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
430EX is a good bet.
Its a shame, I sold a brand new Sigma 530 Super on ebay last month. Went for £119. Brand New. Wont tell you how much i bought it worth, but it was much cheaper than that.
Old 2 Mar 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2643467)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
I get some fairly detailed advice from someone who had looked at both. Took a flyer on the Nissin in the end, particularly as I got it well under list price.
Old 5 Mar 2010, 10:04 (Ref:2645388)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Ayse? Don't forget spray can of matt black for chain link fencing...
Old 13 Mar 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2651262)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Ayse? Don't forget spray can of matt black for chain link fencing...

Too right Tim, that's caught me out far too often!!
Old 14 Mar 2010, 23:27 (Ref:2652240)   #12
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I have a field in mind, exit of Indianapolis.... No fence!